“Loved it!!”

Baan Klang Vieng Hostel
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Loved it!!”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

My husband I spent time travelling around Asia last summer (2012) and we stayed in various hotel, B&Bs, hostels you name it! This was our favourite! We had emailed the owner numerous amount of times before arriving, changing our arrival dates and this was not a problem at all. When we arrived it was late but we received a warm welcome. Our room was simply yet beautifully decorated and was extremely clean- better than some 3 star hotels I've stayed in, in England! I wish we had stayed longer as Chiang Mai was lovely! I had my nails done at the nail place next door who were really friendly and enjoyed the coffee from the coffee shop next door. Try the apple tea here too...yummy!
I can champion Baan Klang Vieng enough. After staying in some questionable B&Bs this was a nice surprise. From BKV we wandered around and found most sights on foot but there are lots of songthaws on the main road for very little baht and shops and street food around the corner. There is a bar at the end of the street with water spray fans if you get too hot!
I totally reccomend this place!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andreamillard

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Stayed two nights in this Lovely Hostel. It's very comfy and clean rooms and great value for money. The lady who takes care of the rooms is very friendly and helpful. It's also located on a good place in the center of Chiang Mai.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank gTravelOne
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for 3 nights in a single room with a single bed. The room was very clean with bright white sheets and a good AC. I booked over booking.com and payed €13 each night.
I can really recommend the little Cafe located right next to the Hostel and I am a big Coffe drinker.
Also the massage place next by is really good. I had an hour neck and back with oil for 250 Baht and even though the location feels a little strange in the beginning it was a wonderful one! The laundry place right across the street is really good, too.
The hostel is in the middle if everything bit really quiet.

Just one thing: they didn't make my bed or changed the sheets in 3 days. It didn't bother me and I am sure if I would have asked they would have done it right away!

Go there when you are in Chang Mai!

• Stayed May 2012
Spain
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Very clean Hostel. Close to the Sunday night market. Run by a young husband and wife team with a small baby - pleasant enough.Quite a few decently priced restaurants at the top of the street. Very well priced. Would recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I had a sparkling clean, bright, spacious room here with reliable hot water and wi-fi (free). tv, a good air conditioning unit and refrigerator. The full sized bed was comfortable. The cool, white, marble like floor added to the brightness. It was in an excellent location, not far from the ThaPae Gate and it was a short ways up a street from the main road. You could be where the action is, but not have to hear it all night. The manager was friendly and helpful. It's pleasantly decorated. You leave your shoes outside and lock the door behind you at night. It feels like you're staying in someone's home. There's a courtyard with a coffee shop attached. There's a coin laundry nearby and lots of restaurants of every kind, as well as a couple of convenience stores.

There is room for improvement, though.

1. Reception is not open 24 hours. it isn't even open very late. Reception was closed on Sunday. i don't know if that's always the case, but it was closed the Sunday I was there.
2. There was an alley behind the room I stayed in with occasional foot traffic. It wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't been able to see through the curtains. And if I can see out...
3. No one wants to hear a tour pitch as soon as they open the door and put their luggage down.
4. Not enough toilet paper provided.
5. Only one English channel on the tv (but if you're in Chiang Mai to watch tv, shame on you)

However, I will stay here again the next time I'm in Chiang Mai. Overall and for the most part, it was quite lovely.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room. There'll be no one walking by your window.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
LED
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I really enjoyed my stay 6-night stay at this hostel. I had a superior air-con room, which was clean, spacious and very pleasantly decorated. The bed was wonderful - large and with a good mattress.

Baan Klang Vieng is located right next door to Ponganes Cafe, where they serve some of the best coffee in Chiang Mai, so one can count on starting their day with a cup of very good coffee. The location is central: on the edge of the old city district yet within walking distance from the Night Bazaar area. There's plenty on restaurants, cafes, massage parlors and 7/11s in the vicinity. The hostel staff can help you organize cooking classes and trips, and are generally very accommodating and helpful people.

There may be many accommodation options in the area but this one certainly stands out for its relaxing atmosphere, cleanliness and comfort. I highly recommend Baan Klang Vieng.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 6thSymphony
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I just need a couple of words to describe the Baan Klang Vieng Hostel: Friendly staff, nice location, quiet, clean rooms ... just go for it! An ideal place to escape the action after a long day visiting the city.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple