“Excellent Stay”
Review of Baan Hanibah

Baan Hanibah
Ranked #25 of 809 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Thailand (and Asia in general) is interesting because it challenges the notion and value of 'luxury'. For me, this was such a luxurious stay and so affordable because what I want out of a hotel is comfort, cleanliness, and character.

Under the category of comfort, the bed that we slept in takes the cake. I've been in hotels all around the world, slept in all the westin heavenly beds, and sheraton sleepers you can think of, and none were as comfortable, soft, and clean feeling as this. The teak wood that the building is made of is so homey and soft on your feet.

Cleanliness: Bathroom spotless, room bright and clean, and great lighting.

Character: This is by far the most important. Since I am a Gold Starwood Preferred Guest, I almost stayed at the Meridien (where I would've gotten upgraded etc.), but I decided to try this place out for half the price and I'm SO glad I did. This is a boutique hotel with a great attitude. The people are so lovely and make you feel like you want to be there. The breakfast out in the garden each morning was just great.

This, in my opinion, is a luxury hotel. And I've seen them all.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank africantraveler1

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Firstly apologies for such a late review! I did not realise I had not submitted it until going to Tripadvisor for research on our next holiday.

After the shockingly bad customer service at Vieng Mantra we arrived at Baan Hanibah to be greeted by a friendly face and an early check-in to our family room. The family room offers 2 bedrooms and a shared bathroom - so just be aware of this if your family has teenagers as you might be better of with 2 separate rooms so you can have 2 bathrooms. The décor was lovely with plenty of space. Although we were located behind reception it was quiet.

One thing that let down the room was a lack of tea/coffee making facilities and a fridge! These were located in a lovely shared room with balcony upstairs. The problem with this though was that if you wanted a late night cuppa or snack you had to take your shoes off and tiptoe around upstairs so you don't disturb anyone!

Breakfast was made to order and quite nice. If you are lucky and it isn't too busy you can eat outside in the lovely garden.

Location we found to be a little far. We like to be able to walk to most places and unfortunately this was a bit far especially for little kids. Reading other reviews though a lot of people are happy with the location.

One of the best things about Baan Hanibah was the staff. Excellent customer service and always a friendly smile when you walk in (or out). Lovely!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I am currently staying here and it is wonderful. Just a short walk down the alley and you are on a main road that runs along the moat with lots of restaraunts and shopping. Also a short walk to the Sunday night market. Despite this GH being very close to many street vendors and restaurants it is very quiet here.

I stayed in room 8 and it had a great air conditioner and bathroom. Good shower and bathroom was very clean. As other have mentioned to house is not sound proof but I did not hear other people at all while I was in my room.

The breakfast each morning is very good. Eggs made any way you like, fresh fruit, breads, cereals, and an assortment (different everyday) of other delicious Thai food. Fresh coffe and tea as well. You can sit at a table inside or out in the yard which has many trees and plants and a coy pond with a water fountain.

Booking was easily done by an email and good directions are provided on your confirmation letter which you cam print and show to your taxi driver at the airport. It costs 120 baht ( about $6.00 cdn ) to get here for the airport.

The staff are wonderful! Very accommodating and eager to help you anyway they can. Your room is cleaned daily and staying additional nights is no problem at all provided they are not booked.

I will definitely stay here again when I come back to Chiang Mai!!

Thank you Baan Hanibah for a wonderful stay!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank CanadianBell
Reviewed 9 May 2013

This GH was been recommended by a friend, which has been proven to be a excellent suggestion and choice.

We have stayed at another GH before came to Baan Hanibah, which gave a strong comparison. Baan Hanibah is just amazing from the reception and booking, location, and accommodation.

We lived in the small house, which is quite a lanna style. Everyplace is just chic and clean.

A stunning yard makes you stay a lazy afternoon.

Also, GH manager is quite nice and introduced a lot of good place to eat! Also, when we left that day, he woke us up, or we will miss the plan!

Its just a perfect combination with all.

I will back to Chiangmai soon, and will defiantly stay there.

Room Tip: The small house is perfect!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda H
Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

Echoing some of the other reviewers, the place has a good location in the northeast corner of the old city...comfortable accommodations (bed, atmosphere, etc...)...and really happy people. We only stayed two nights, but they helped us with suggestions for eating nearby, booking activities, etc...

Will definitely recommend Baan Hanibah to any friends coming trough Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Stayed for 4 months between 01 November 2012 and 11 April 2013 (did a SE Asia tour in that interval), and I can assure you I would not have done that if there were any irritating issues with this great little B&B. So I would like to echo the positives kindly provided by previous travelers and add just two comments that might help you decide to stay here.

First, and this is true for all reviews of all things, look at the ratio of Excellent and Very Good to the remainder. If that ratio is 10-1 or better, as is overwhelmingly so with Baan Hanibah, just ignore the negative reviews. I'm sure they are for the most part honest and well-meaning, but they are statistically insignificant. No place is perfect, and it is impossible to completely satisfy every customer no matter how hard you try.

Second, and on a much more personal level, for me after a while the defining characteristic of a place becomes the people you deal with every day. Yes, this B&B is a lovely teak structure with quality furnishings, etc., but after a while - as with that great view of the..., or the excitement of a new relationship - initially small things begin to assume great importance. For me, what became of great importance were the people of Baan Hanibah. Dr. Tee and Nai are incredibly caring about the environment they provide and about us, their guests. Believe me, they read every word of every review and will make changes to improve the experience. Jip, Mee and Oil work at the front desk and will do anything they can to help you. Toy and Som take care of the rooms, help with breakfast and will respond in kind to a friendly smile and a sawadee ka or kap whenever you encounter them. Some of these names will eventually change, but I am confident the owners will ensure the high quality of personnel continues.

Thank you for taking the time to read this far. I probably overdid it, but I thought this place and its people worth the effort. Your stay will probably be much shorter than mine, but please spend at least a little time getting to know and appreciate the folks who will have so much to do with your happy experience .

Room Tip: Room 8 for singles.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Patrick_Rich
Reviewed 17 April 2013

good recommended for simple and small B&B, located in town, it's unique with old Thai-Lanna deco(Thai northern style)
staffs very nice and friendly. breakfast buffet with many choices of Thai and Western.
We had a good time in Baan Hanibah. definately to stay here again when we'll return to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple