“Beautiful gardens, peaceful setting.”
Review of Baan Hanibah

Baan Hanibah
Ranked #25 of 746 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Beautiful gardens, peaceful setting.”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This is a lovely guesthouse in a great spot in the old city. Walking distance to many great food spots and also to the main road to catch a taxi. We had a downstairs "apartment" which would have been great for 4, but was a little bit of a squeeze for 5, it worked though and for the convenience of location we put up with the tight space. Breakfast each day was provided (toast, cereal, fruit, an egg station and some Thai dishes), there was enough choice to keep my family of five happy. The staff were lovely and very helpful. The only negatives I have are that the shower was a bit mould stained (not mouldy, just stained) the bed was very soft (although the single beds were fantastic!) and noise really travelled; having people walking around above us was really noisy, I would not have wanted to be upstairs though as then I would be worried about the kids making too much noise. All in all, we were really happy here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
Frederiksberg
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My favourite guest house in Chiang Mai. In a quite non-tourist area of the old part of Chiang Mai. Short distances to markets, coffeeshops, temples and local street restaurant. The atmosphere at Baan Hanibah is friendly and with a lot of calmness. Owner and staff make it worth to come back again and again,

Room Tip: Choose any in the wooden house. Rooms for family, couple and single.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

4 nights stay at Hanibah. Hanibah located at the north south of Chiang Mai downtown, walk to Sunday Night Market about 10mins. Everything is good. Room is nice and clear. I like the wood style. Also have a nice garden.
But just one thing let me feel down. Because my flight is early at last day morning, so I booked a car at reception, check the price is 120Bth. Yes, the driver was wait us on time at next morning. Before I get on the car, I was double check the price with him, it's right 120Bth. But He asked me 200Bth when I arrival the airport. With no reason. 200Bth is Ok for me, no problem. But I just wanna the business with honesty. That's more important than money. This is the only thing let me feel down at Chiang Mai.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ye Z
Halifax Region, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We arrived today and were exited to stay here. We always check the beds for bed bugs. And for the first time this trip we found some here along the piping on the mattress. We brought the lady from the B&B up to show her. She didn't seem to care. We were very apologetic and told her we couldn't stay there and that we would go somewhere else.

She left the room without saying anything and took the key to the room. Which made all the lights go out. So we gathered our things in the dark and left still appologizing on our way out.
On the street we used the password she had given us to try and find a new place. And after about a minute the wifi was gone. She shut it off. I was not impressed with the way she handled the situation.
I had a bad feeling about this place from the moment I walked in. Stuffy, dark, and I dislike how they expect you to walk around with bare feet. Would never recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank Canadianbailey
baanhanibah, Owner at Baan Hanibah, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

We would like to express our sincere gratitude to your feedback, which is the most serious negative feedback we ever had since our first day running. It is always the highest priority to ensure excellent service, therefore learning about inappropriate behavior from our staffs, though very surprising, really made us very upset. We truly apologize for everything we caused from our side to make you feel you were treated terribly. We promise to take very serious measure toward the issue right away, so that such like situation would not repeat.

The bed bugs matter, as well we really apologize about it, as it is as equally serious. Usually, bed bugs may appear naturally, or come with people entering the buildings. We have always used pest control strictly, because we fully realize that there are number of people who would have adverse allergic reaction to bugs. Consequently, it is totally understandable that you were searching on and under the bed sheet, and every corner of the mattress. with the torch light; bed bugs must be a very important issue for you.

It goes the same way for us. Our housekeepers daily apply disinfectant spray to the room after cleaning, this is the very standard measure. Moreover, it is our monthly routine to have the whole area purified by herbal insecticide sprayer (eco-pest), which was done just the day before your check-in date. We therefore believed that the bugs you discovered were dead and thus would not be harmful. Nonetheless, the housekeepers is going to be more careful from now, as cleanliness is as well another thing we never wished to fall short.

However, please allow us to explain about wifi. We feel terrible that you had to look for other places to stay so late in the evening, generally it would not be in anyone's wish to obstruct you by shutting down the internet. It is especially difficult, technically, for our B&B, since the router is installed high-up near the ceiling. According to what you mentioned, the staff would have needed to use a ladder and climb up to turn it off, which we think it is difficult to imagine and a little bit unreasonable. It is also possible that the wifi is weak and not very stable once you are outside the B&B vicinity, like on the street. We are sorry that everything that happened caused you terrible impression and perhaps feel very upset. All points from your comment are being taken into consideration for further improvement. if you ever come back to Chiang Mai, it would be our honor to welcome you to our improved Baan Hanibah. We are looking forward to see you always.

Best Regards,
Baan Hanibah
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Beautiful rooms, great atmosphere, polite staff, great garden, great location, nice breakfast .. do I need to continue? I can't think of any cons regarding this place (I'm trying really hard)! Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Everything went smoothly from start to finish. Great communication in making the reservation. I was a little worried about checking in after hours around 11:30 p.m. (despite reassurances that it would be no problem to check in with the night guard), and found indeed that it was no problem. The guard handed me a key with the room number on it and a handwritten note saying that breakfast is served from 7:30-10 a.m. and I could do registration in the morning.

When I made the reservation I was told that the room would need to be paid for with cash on check in. When I checked in they told me it wasn't necessary, but they were happy to take the cash and write out a receipt. I had the cash set aside already, so I thought that would be easiest. They didn't ask for it back when I checked out, just took the key back and wished me a pleasant journey.

Breakfast: french press coffee, milk, juice, eggs, breakfast sandwich, cereal, different kinds of toast, fruit, and sometimes sticky rice with banana or bean.

The room: hot water every day, powerful air conditioner, tv with a few English channels and a lot of thai channels, comfy bed, clean bedding and towels, excellent room service, two free bottled waters replenished each day. There's a hairdryer and toiletries provided are shampoo, body wash, soap, qtips, and shower caps.

Mosquitos: unavoidable, but our room had a total of two the entire week and the mosquitos in the rest of the house were not overwhelming.

The house: gorgeous. Everyone's pictures pretty much speak for themselves.

The desk employees spoke excellent english and were always friendly and happy to help. They called an airport taxi for me and let us keep our bags there after check out while we wandered around on our last day. I was able to use the phone to call and confirm reservations. Pretty much everything you need.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

We have been here several times. And unfortunately it has become too bad to further recommend it. It is sad to say but staying in a woodden thaihouse with noisy chinese families just doesnt work! The walls are too thin. stomping on the floor. Tv on all night. Loud talking etc. The staff is excellent! The garden so beautiful. This gem has lost its brillance.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mifralbo
baanhanibah, Owner at Baan Hanibah, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude to your comment, for stating the issue that we also quite concern, and trying our hardest to bring back our “brilliance” as you have once kindly granted to us.
Our policy is to welcome guests around the world without discrimination, since it is impossible and unacceptable to generalize guests’ behavior from their origin and decide to host or not to host them. It is thus quite a challenge to deal with cultural diversity, especially when it comes to issue that causes staying discomfort for all. We have noticed the noise problem from guests from a particular country, which we prepare both a formal letter asking for several co-operations in their language, and directly asking them in person at the check-in about quietness at night. Some times it works, sometimes it does not completely successful – that was unfortunately during your stay and we are truly sorry about that. Your feedback allowed us to assess the outcome and apply further measures to keep the B&B’s environment as peaceful as it used to be.
On the other hand, we would like to thank you for appreciating our other efforts on services that we could fully control, such as staffs and the surroundings. Although we would be very happy to know how much you would value them, it is understandable that overall impression is everything. We are deeply sorry to hear that staying with us was disappointing, but we still hope and will be very glad to see you again when the situation is improved.

Faithfully yours,