“Fruit and vegetable carving class”

Wankaomai Cultural Workshop Studio
Book In Advance
More Info
US$48.66*
and up
Private 3-Hour Vegetable and Fruit Carving Class...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Lanna-Thai cultural workshop studio amidst downtown. We offer private classes up to 5 students suitable for Thai and foreigners interested in experiencing Thai culture hands-on. Our classes include fruit carving, Thai traditional music and dance, and Thai flower handicrafts. All classes are taught by fully-skilled Thai teacher in either English, Japanese or Thai. Free transportation available upon request.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

I had a very special experience learning some of the techniques used in vegetable carving. I especially enjoyed meeting such sweet thai peaple. Having a one on one class in their own home made it even more special. The couple toei and sontaya were both so welcoming. Toei's enthusiasm shows she enjoys teaching and values her culture.
I would have loved to take more classes from her but they were leaving for a vacation. Thank you both for your hospitality.

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank Janice M
Wankaomai, Owner at Wankaomai Cultural Workshop Studio, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Thank you Janice for your lovely review. We have a really good time teaching and talking with you. We hope you have a nice stay in Chiang Mai and hope to see you again.

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"fascinating"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 8 March 2018

Today I had the pleasure of taking a Flower Garland Workshop with Toei. The day started at 8.30am when I was collected from my hotel by Toei and her lovely husband Sontaya and driven to their studio to begin our workshop.

I loved every moment of my class. Toei is very skilled, organised and knowledgable and is an excellent teacher. She made me feel at ease instantly and she was patient and encouraging during my lesson. I experienced a true cultural experience and this is exactly what I was hoping for..

The studio is private and personal and I was even given a little welcome snack when I arrived. Toei's husband Sontaya was taking photos during our session and it is so very special that he has captured these wonderful memories. I have already received an email with some fantastic photos of today's workshop.

Toei offers several other classes and I just wanted to stay all day and do everything. I even extended my class for another hour as I didn't want to leave.

I was thrilled with my beautiful flower garland and I am now feeling very inspired and I am already thinking of ideas for making some of my own creations when I go back home. I am so happy that I am Toei's first Australian student and I would like to invite anyone who has thought about attending this class, to go ahead and book it now!!! You will be so glad that you did! :-) Jan B, Perth West Australia

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank hobartjb
Wankaomai, Owner at Wankaomai Cultural Workshop Studio, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Thank you very much Jan. It is always a pleasure meeting someone who value our culture as much as we do. We also enjoyed having you with us and we are looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 15 February 2018

I attend the Thai Dancing class with Toey last weekend. I visited Chiang Mai several times and kinda nowhere to visit because of my time schedule, so I try a new things! It's really wonderful because we start from a very beginning such as how to wear a dancing costume and the meaning of each pose. Toey is very nice and knowledgeable. Rather than the dancing, I also learn a lot of thai culture and history. The class is at her little cozy house.

ps. you will get a nice photo after class as well.

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank fideliusann
Sontaya M, Owner at Wankaomai Cultural Workshop Studio, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Thank you for your lovely review. We really enjoyed teaching and dancing with you. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

This fruit carving course is one of te most enriching experience we've done in Chang Mai. The warmth of the hosts is very pleasant. Its pedagogic abilities are remarcable and its willingness to adapt for clients who have disabilities is always appreciated. À Big thanks also for the Husband who took pictures of us and shared it at the end of the session.

Date of experience: February 2018
2  Thank Samuel V
Wankaomai, Owner at Wankaomai Cultural Workshop Studio, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2018

We really appreciate your kind review. We hope you guys have a good time in Chiang Mai.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

We visited Thailand for a few months and passed by this cultural studio so we gave it a try. After discussing what simple cooking we could easily learn, Toey, the studio owner, was very kind and recommend us to try Thai omlette (my girlfriend's favorite) with butterfly pea flower - never heard you can put flower in omlette but yeah why not. She also let us try making different colour of sticky rice from natural colour. This is kind of fascinating cooking for me. I'm not always posting on tripadvisor but this time I feel like showing a support for the lovely studio. Thanks so much for sweet experience and for being so patient with our messy cooking ;). Wish we had more time to learn a few more dishes.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank Junglesoldier

Thank you for choosing us. We hope to see you again in Chiang Mai.