Open today: 09:00 - 17:00
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Wankaomai Cultural Workshop Studio
from US$46.80
More Info
All reviews toei lesson skills culture class fun
Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my fruit and vegetable carving classes at Wankaomai Studio. Toei and Sone are very welcoming and supportive.
Toei is a wonderful teacher and very knowledgeable. We made some exquisite pieces under her guidance and I am looking forward to creating more.

Reviewed 1 week ago

My 11 year old son and I loved this gentle but fascinating (and great fun) introduction to traditional Thai music and musical instruments. I'm not very musical, but that wasn't a problem as teacher Toei guided us expertly through the different instruments (around 7 different ones) letting us try each one. My son and I enjoyed them all, but found the Thai xylophone and gamelan the most fun. We even managed a tune :-)
An added bonus was the chance to dress up in beautiful traditional clothing before playing the instruments. A really nice session, and a wonderful insight into Thai musical traditions. Thank you Toei!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

What an enjoyable and interesting afternoon with lovely teacher Toei learning about the exquisite culture of Thai flower art and offerings. Everything was organised perfectly for my lesson and despite my limited art & craft skills, with Toei’s expert guidance I managed to produce a very beautiful flower garland and several folded petal lotus flowers. Toei even provided delicious Thai snacks and a very special drink.
Altogether, a really wonderful and memorable experience. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

i highly recommend this class. the hosts are so accommodating and the class is really fun. the pace and the content of the class are perfect for beginner level but if you have advanced kitchen skills there’s still much to learn. the studio is clean and tidy. honestly i recommend this 100%

1  Thank 2010love2travel
Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

It was an impromptu class my friend signed up for us for fun and honestly it outdid my expectations. It was both fun and educational; Toei taught us not just the dance but the history and culture behind it. And now I know how to greet properly with the knowledge of what the gestures mean. ;)
Toei and Son (her husband) were very engaging and kind, the whole pick up/drop off service with the added mention of “if you have any questions or get into any trouble call us and we’ll help you” was very touching, they are just wonderful hosts!
Thanks for a lovely afternoon and we hope you get to meet many more students!

1  Thank Binna K
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

I can not praise Toei and Wankaomai Studio enough. I wanted to learn a bit about Thai culture and I have always felt that dance, often related to how cultures tell stories about themselves, would be a great way to learn something beautiful and take a piece of Thai culture with me. The class was so much more than I expected. I booked a two hour class to learn two dances, because I love dancing in general, but I gained both better insight into the culture and customs of Northern Thai people as well as a love and appreciation for Chaing Mai and Chiang Rai as well.

I happened to plan a trip to the Lanna Folklike Museum after my dance class and was amazed at how much of what I learned in class added to my appreciation of what I saw in the museum. They even gave me a wonderful recommendation on where to eat, since the restaurant was so close to the museum. Don't be fooled, the class isn't a history lesson, it's more like someone sharing their love of Thai culture and Chaing Mai with me. I'm pretty sure she customized the class for me, based on my questions and interests, so for me it was ideal - more than I could have imagined it would be.

The class itself was wonderful. I felt transported to an oasis, where it was just me, enjoying every minute. After they picked me up from my guesthouse, I was treated to some local specialty snacks that were homemade by Toei herself. I even got to try the local speciality of coconut ice cream that was somewhat famous around the neighborhood. It gave us a chance to introduce ourselves to each other and what we'd be doing during the class.

I felt special, like Cinderella before a ball when I was transformed before each dance to the traditional clothes appropriate for the region I was dancing for. What made things better were the professional pictures I received after my session. I was so happy to have so many pictures of my unique and memorable experience.

My boyfriend came along to watch, but really he could have participated as well, since the first dance is about community and relationships. I wouldn't say that you have to do this alone or only if you're a girl.

After leaving Chiang Mai to go to Bangkok, I really miss Chiang Mai. It's a place for people that appreciate arts and culture, a warm and welcoming culture. I am sure my memories of learning with Toei will stay in my heart and memories forever. Hopefully I'll still remember the dances when I see them next. I'll look forward to returning and taking one of her other classes, for both learning other handicrafts as well as enjoying the warm welcome of finding a home away from home.

I highly recommend trying one of of her classes because I'm sure you'll leave with more happiness and joy than when you arrived.

1  Thank Heather T
Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

I had a very special experience learning some of the techniques used in vegetable carving. I especially enjoyed meeting such sweet thai peaple. Having a one on one class in their own home made it even more special. The couple toei and sontaya were both so welcoming. Toei's enthusiasm shows she enjoys teaching and values her culture.
I would have loved to take more classes from her but they were leaving for a vacation. Thank you both for your hospitality.

1  Thank Janice M
Wankaomai, Owner at Wankaomai Cultural Workshop Studio, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Thank you Janice for your lovely review. We have a really good time teaching and talking with you. We hope you have a nice stay in Chiang Mai and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

Today I had the pleasure of taking a Flower Garland Workshop with Toei. The day started at 8.30am when I was collected from my hotel by Toei and her lovely husband Sontaya and driven to their studio to begin our workshop.

I loved every moment of my class. Toei is very skilled, organised and knowledgable and is an excellent teacher. She made me feel at ease instantly and she was patient and encouraging during my lesson. I experienced a true cultural experience and this is exactly what I was hoping for..

The studio is private and personal and I was even given a little welcome snack when I arrived. Toei's husband Sontaya was taking photos during our session and it is so very special that he has captured these wonderful memories. I have already received an email with some fantastic photos of today's workshop.

Toei offers several other classes and I just wanted to stay all day and do everything. I even extended my class for another hour as I didn't want to leave.

I was thrilled with my beautiful flower garland and I am now feeling very inspired and I am already thinking of ideas for making some of my own creations when I go back home. I am so happy that I am Toei's first Australian student and I would like to invite anyone who has thought about attending this class, to go ahead and book it now!!! You will be so glad that you did! :-) Jan B, Perth West Australia

1  Thank hobartjb
Wankaomai, Owner at Wankaomai Cultural Workshop Studio, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Thank you very much Jan. It is always a pleasure meeting someone who value our culture as much as we do. We also enjoyed having you with us and we are looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 15 February 2018

I attend the Thai Dancing class with Toey last weekend. I visited Chiang Mai several times and kinda nowhere to visit because of my time schedule, so I try a new things! It's really wonderful because we start from a very beginning such as how to wear a dancing costume and the meaning of each pose. Toey is very nice and knowledgeable. Rather than the dancing, I also learn a lot of thai culture and history. The class is at her little cozy house.

ps. you will get a nice photo after class as well.

1  Thank fideliusann
Sontaya M, Owner at Wankaomai Cultural Workshop Studio, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Thank you for your lovely review. We really enjoyed teaching and dancing with you. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

This fruit carving course is one of te most enriching experience we've done in Chang Mai. The warmth of the hosts is very pleasant. Its pedagogic abilities are remarcable and its willingness to adapt for clients who have disabilities is always appreciated. À Big thanks also for the Husband who took pictures of us and shared it at the end of the session.

2  Thank Samuel V
Wankaomai, Owner at Wankaomai Cultural Workshop Studio, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2018

We really appreciate your kind review. We hope you guys have a good time in Chiang Mai.