“Rude bed and smelly room...”
Review of Lanna House

Lanna House
Ranked #585 of 835 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The bed on the room 003 was so rude and uncomfortable. The room was very smelly like mothballs and the patio door doesn't lock at all. You have A/C, bad tv, unfriendly staff, rude double bed, private bathroom without shampoo for 600-700 bath in low season . The breakfast is vegetarian but disgusting . They have WI-FI...

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Joanie_Art

Reviewed 10 May 2012

This is a great value place to stay and located in an easy 1 minute walk to Tapae Gate. It is surrounded by some excellent and cheap eating places and is close to everything in central Chiang Mai. The Internet is free and reliable, the breakfast is OK but is improving (noticed a difference on our 2nd visit).
There are some noises in the neighbourhood at night, so be prepared with ear plugs if you want a good sleep. The rooms are comfortable and very clean. This is one of the best value places I have stayed in, in Thailand :-)

Room Tip: Avoid a room at the back as it collects a lot of noise from garbage being emptied by local businesse...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Phil M
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My partner and I found the staff helpful, friendly, and welcoming. However, there were a few negatives about this place. To begin with, the room was full of mosquitoes; we only realized that during the night. We woke up the next day feeling terrible, it felt as if we hadn’t had slept at all. We were full of mosquito’s bites. First thing in the morning we went to the receptionist and told her what happened to us the night before, but she did not seem surprised. She called someone to go to the room to spray something to kill the mosquitoes while we were out. When we came back, the smell was impregnating the room, but as we were getting ready to sleep we heard the annoying sounds of the mosquitoes passing by. The breakfast was very limited choice. Worst was the POWDERED orange juice. Are you kidding me? I saw so many tropical fruits and that’s what you serve your clientele. I was extremely disappointed. Hope this comment is useful to others.

4  Thank Billrybak
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My partner and I found the staff helpful, friendly, and welcoming. However, there were few negatives things about this place. To begin with, the room was full of mosquitoes, we only realized that during the night. We woke up terrible, it felt that we didn’t had slept at all. Not only we were full of mark of mosquitoes bites. First thing in the morning we went to the receptionist and told them what happened to us the night before but they did not seemed surprised. The lady at the reception called someone to go to the room to spry something to kill the mosquitoes while we were out. When we came back the smell was impregnated in the room, as we sat around and was getting ready to sleep we could not believe what we heard, the annoying sounds of the mosquitoes passing by. We went for our first breakfast and it was very limited choice. To begin with, the POWDERED orange juice for breakfast. Are you kidding me? I saw so many tropical fruits and that’s what you served your clientele. I was extremely disappointed. Hope this comment is useful to others.

2  Thank Billrybak
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The hotel has an excellent location just near Tha Pae gate. So it is close to many tourists attractions, restaurants & food stalls. The hotel itself, however, made me think of a guesthouse rather than a hotel. No kettle in the room, the bathroom is small & a little smelly, the shower is only separated by a shower curtain. The size of the room is ok though & the reception staff is very welcoming. The price of the room (700 baht) comprises "vegetarian buffet "breakfast (what they call it) which is very poor. Basically you have bread, butter, jam, some cornflakes, vegetables & some curry dish I think which did not look tasty to me. Hot drinks like coffee are not included in the breakfast so you have to buy them at the bar (50-60 baht a coffee or cappuccino - very good though). But I think the price for the coffee is basically the price for the whole breakfast... Another disadvantage- the hotel is very noisy, music outside till late & noisy in the morning. However, the hotel might be a good option as we visited about 10 others in the old town & chose this one. We stayed only one night as we got a better deal from a hotel outside Old Town.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

We stayed at Lanna house for three weeks recently, overall our experience was a positive one.

Keeping in mind that this is more guesthouse style accomodation and not a luxury hotel, everything was good enough and for the cheap rates, we didnt mind the few small inconveniences that we experienced.

A few things which we were unimpressed with was the loud music that comes from the bar next door, sometimes till 1am. It actually didn't bother us that much because with the window closed it was mostly drowned out, but it is still quite annoying. The price you pay for staying so centrally in a busy city I suppose.

The shower had bad drainage and would start to overflow fairly quickly. Again, this didn't bother us at all, as neither of us have long showers. It was not a big problem, I never had to rush my shower once.

The breakfast buffet in the downstairs cafe that is included with the room charge was completely average. Don't eat breakfast here if you value good food! That being said, the fruit was always fresh and they make a good cup of coffee. There was things like white toast with strawberry jam, cornflakes, some cold Asian noodle/rice dishes, salads and a soup each day. I didn't mind the lack of good food at this buffet so much, I was surprised that any breakfast would be included at all, considering how cheap the room was. The fruit and coffee I did consume each day was very good.

Another thing we found really inconvenient was the wifi situation. Every day you need to get a new username and password from reception, and the wifi disconnects quite regularly, requiring you to put the username and password in fairly frequently.

We were also woken each morning by the housekeeping ladies in the corridor, which really became tiresome after the three weeks. House keeping was quite good considering the price we paid for our room, it was not amazing service, but good for a quick clean up and to make the beds. Some days we weren't given the two bottles of drinking water that are usually left, and a few times our toilet paper had run out and wasn't replaced. Not a lot of initiative was shown from house keeping, we had to constantly ask for absolutely everything that we needed.

The room we had was spacious enough for two of us, but not particularly comfortable to just relax in. The beds are very hard and there was no balcony or other area to sit.

On the positive side though, Lanna House is a great central location. Sunday walking markets are at the doorstep, and it's a 15 min wall to the night markets every other night. There is multiple restaurants in the area, all were great that we tried.

The staff at Lanna House were all very friendly and helpful.

I would recommend Lanna house for anyone who is wanting cheap central accommodation in Chiang Mai, it's not five star or luxury, but it's perfect if you plan on spending a lot of time out and about. It's a great base because of its location, and for us the cheap rates meant that we could spend our money doing other things during our visit that we couldn't have usually afforded if we'd stayed at a luxury hotel.

There was people of all ages staying here, including families with kids. Personally I wouldn't stay here with kids because it's very small and has no pool or anything.

I would return to Lanna house again if I ever need central accomodation in Chiang Mai. Over all we were pleased with the service we recieved here and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for cheap no frills accomodation.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank JNR1309
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Sunday market, 7-11, McDonalds and Starbucks are nearby, good location!
Breakfast is very basic; 2 small cheapy soap and 2 not-so-clean towels in room,no shampoo nor hairdryer. WiFi is free but weak in room. Live music downstairs 'til 1am. Room was fairly clean, but bed was not very comfy; basically, you get what you paid.

OK for budget travelers, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to people travel with family.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends