Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$15
CheapTicketsUS$15
Agoda.comUS$16
TravelocityUS$15
Orbitz.comUS$15
TripadvisorUS$15
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed there for 2 months and am so glad I did. It's a bit pricey for your average traveler but for a holiday or an extended one like I had its perfect. The rooms are amazing, immaculately clean. Beautiful roof top pool with a little gym. Restaurant and shop/bar in lobby. Wifi throughout and a very helpful staff. A beautiful view of the mountain right behind the hotel. I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Have a drink at Papas shop/bar just off the lobby. A very friendly man with a lot of nice regulars having a few cold ones is a great way to relax at night time without having to go far. Top notch!

Date of stay: September 2012
3  Thank Cashelking
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed here for one month. I stayed in a superior room which was clean with a fridge and air con. Rooms are starting to show their age, but fine for somewhere to lay your head. Electricity and water are charged extra to the cost of the room when renting on a monthly basis and internet is 400 baht for a month so the initial rental price soon adds up, then 100 baht a day to use the swimming pool. Plenty of local eateries close by and lobby restaurant is resonably priced and of a good quality. Rooms are serviced once a week, but usually meant a fairly early wake up call. Difficult to communicate with the staff at times.

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank doveg
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My wife and I lived in the smith for 6 months.
We were traveling through Thailand (backpacking) and we chose to stay in the Smith from a recommendation of a couple of our friends...we didn't want to move.

The Pros:
- Room Rental is $300/month on the 5th floor (which includes access to the small pool on the roof and a basic fitness center with free weights, a treadmill and a few other machines - If you go to the higher floors, you get larger rooms for more money)
- AC is nice and cold!
- The beds are incredibly comfortable
- It get's cleaned weekly at no extra charge
- TV and movie channels are included
- Wifi in your room
- You will meet a lot of friends if you hang out downstairs
- There is a restaurant in the lobby that will deliver decent priced food to your room (fried rice for $1.60, etc.)
- Beautiful view from the top
- Awesome location next to the old city (easily can walk anywhere in the city in under an hour)
- Very accommodating staff that remembers your name
- Free parking garage for your Motorbike or bicycle below the hotel/apartment
- If you stay longer than 3 months you get around $30 off your monthly bill.

The Cons:
- Wifi signal is weak so we ended up buying a wireless router and plugging into the jack in our room
- Have to pay $10/month for access to the internet
- Internet is not very fast >1mbs and their firewall is really strict...no torrenting files allowed (you must go to the coffee shop around the corner)
- The cleaners don't clean to the standard of 'clean freaks'...they do a good job though.
- It's a little more expensive than the average long term stay here in Thailand...but still good.
- Have to pay for your utilities (we ran the AC almost all day, everyday and our bill was around $100 USD/month)
- It's really hard to leave (finding a new place) because everything is SO convenient and within reach

If you come to Chiang Mai, look us up and maybe we'll still be here to show you around! ;)

Room tip: If you get a corner room, you get a mini kitchen for only $30 more a month! Stay on the 4th floor or higher if you want access to the pool and fitness area.
Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
8  Thank Full_Course_Travel
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I've given this a '2' more because of the lack of customer service rather than the room itself - I would give the room either a 3 or a 4, depending on which one you get! I'll explain: I'm currently staying at Smith Residence now - my 2nd time. The first room I stayed in was a 'deluxe' room and it was at the front of the building, which had good natural light and a *BIG* shelf in the bathroom where you could store all your bathroom bits. Now I'm staying in a room that is also *supposed* to be a 'deluxe' room, at the same price, but it's at the back of the building. The design is very different and it has NO natural light at all and there is NO shelf space at all in the bathroom - the bathroom is big, but there's nowhere to put anything! If you're in the room on your own, it's manageable, but if there are two of you, you might struggle. I spoke to the management, and rather than listen to my concerns, the owner, Mr Smith simply shrugged and walked off (literally), while the manager told me 'there's nothing we can do; if you want a shelf, you'll have to buy one yourself'. Not exactly the customer service I would like, but perhaps the best one can hope for in Thailand. Bottom line, if you get a room at the front of the building, it's pretty good value for money, but if you get a room at the back for the same price, I personally think it's poor value for money. As others have said in their reviews, it would be good if the staff on reception had better English skills as communication is sometimes a struggle (I've had to give up a couple of times and go back the next day to speak to the one person who does speak good English). WiFi is installed throughout the building but, disappointingly, they charge extra for its use. This is one of the very few places I've stayed at in Thailand that doesn't offer WiFi as a complimentary service. I definitely get a sense that Mr Smith is all about how much he can get from you while offering the minimum he can get away with in return.

Room tip: Rooms at the front have big windows and natural daylight all day (north facing), a lovely view and decent shelf space in the bathroom (deluxe room anyway, not sure about superior). Rooms at the back have small windows with very little natural light at all, and no shelf space in the bathroom (both rooms cost the same, though - go figure!)
Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
7  Thank Matt W
Anucha Y, Owner at Chiangmai Smith Residence, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

With the complaint of this guest, we would like to express our concern over this review. This guest had come to our place for the second time and asked for the deluxe room. The room that we had for him was a deluxe room facing the city side. Although this room did not have a natural sunlight as the guest complained, this room was quieter and cooler than the mountain-side. When he asked for the shelf at the first time, we did not have the shelf as he requested but we provided to him after a few days.

Interestingly, he stated about the lack of customer service but he did speak to the owner with extremely aggressive attitude telling the owner to change the room layout to be exactly the same as the room facing to the mountain-side, which the owner could not comply (how can we demolished the room and reconstructed that). Once he left and came back to Chiang Mai on the third time, he visited us again and asked for information to buy housing amenity, which the owner assisted him amiably.

Lastly, for the internet issue, we could sense that the guest had bias towards our business since he felt that he could not get the shelf. When he stayed on the first time, he accepted our policy and did not have any issue at all. What he exaggerated the sentence “Mr Smith is all about how much he can get from you while offering the minimum he can get away with in return” is obviously shown that he tried to tell lie in order to discredit Smith Residence serviced apartment since he did not get what he wanted.

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Basic rooms but very clean, everything worked and I chose one with a small kitchen area which was very handy. After deciding to stay long term this time I looked at loads of long stay places and this was by far the best value. Tiny pool and my Tv was a little small but these are minor winges considering the location and price. Really recommend but don't use thwe restaurant its naff!!!!

Date of stay: October 2011