“Rooms Unacceptable”

Ranked #250 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Australia
“Rooms Unacceptable”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This is without doubt the worst establishment that I have ever paid money to stay in. I can only presume that the Trip Advisor posters who enjoyed staying here must be real thrill seekers. We booked a fan room (Agoda) at 350 baht a night, the room was situated on the fifth floor (fifth floor ….no elevator…phew I can feel the sweat coming back). The guest house is situated on a small soi with a walkway of about twenty metres from the soi to the guesthouse. At the entrance of the walkway from the soi to the guesthouse they are forever leaving the black plastic rubbish bags here. After dark you will see these bags pulsating… pulsating with rats. This area is infested with rats; a great first impression. When we finished our trek to our room on the fifth floor we find a room that is dark, dingy and dirty. There was a dead cockroach on the floor upon opening the door and we find what looked like a pubic hair in the sheets of the bed. I am not an overly fussy person but I expect my room at least to be clean. I later upgraded to an A/C room (which also had TV – no TV in fan room) for an extra 150 baht which was situated on the third floor. The room was not much better but at least the A/C worked. Good points about the guesthouse? The staff were friendly, the pool whilst on the small side at least appeared clean, the reception/bar area was kind of quirky/funky and there was free WIFI on the ground floor. The location was good, being maybe a ten minute walk to the night market and five minute walk to Loi Kroh road where there are plenty of bars and eateries. And just near the guesthouse, turn left into the soi on exiting, there is a little Thai outdoor restaurant where you can enjoy a great noodle soup for only 35 baht, highly recommended. Now in summary people may argue that I am being overly critical, you get what you pay for etc. and that 350 baht is not a lot. Well, I know Chiang Mai reasonably well and there are many guesthouses that have fan rooms for 350 baht and A/C for 500 baht that are at least clean and hygienic. The rooms here were totally unacceptable. Will I be back, would I recommend this place……I would never stay here again if I was paid to, enough said.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Camjar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Have stayed at the Royal Guesthouse on 3 seperate occasions over the past year. Really liked the fact there is a swimming pool as some days its nice to just relax, sunbathe and have a swim. The rooms were cleaned everyday and although basic were extremly good value for money. If you walk out of the guesthouse and turn right there is a food stall that does the best papaya salad in the world for 20bht!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank clayters85
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Stumbled over this place which is a few blocks from the entertainment area of chiang mai (bars, etc). The reception/bar/chill out area downstairs is very nicely decorated, cool and relaxing and there is a small swimming pool which was well maintained. Reception/bar was manned 24/7 by reasonably friendly staff with reasonable english and the walls were decorated with cool old school photos, statues, etc. Rooms started at 150 baht ($5US) for fan (no a/c) and a shared bathroom. I opted for the 300 baht room with fan and bathroom. The climate in chiang mai is cooler than bkk and I personally did not need aircon there. From memory the aircon room with bathroom was 400 or 500 baht. Lets not beat around the bush here, the rooms are very basic and very dated, almost a little creepy. Felt like something from hotel california... But I enjoy adventures and quirkiness and character and this place oozed it. Besides, I dont know about you but when I go overseas I dont spend much time in my room... I would definitely go back. If youre a little fussy when it comes to your room maybe look somewhere else

Room Tip: The building is 5 or 6 storeys tall and there is no elevator so if you dont like stairs get somethin...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed there a couple of days.. The room was okay but I didn't like the bathroom. Too small, and most of the time no water from the shower.
But it's close to everything, the food in their restaurant is great and very cheap (when you compare to other hotels/guesthouses), and the swimming pool is sooo great!!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank M2G0
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My partner and I booked this guest house on a recommendation from a couple in bangkok. After 14 hours on the train we thought to have a swimming pool on arrival would be nice and refreshing....

We didn't even get that far!!

We arrived to a dark and dirty reception area where a few guests were on laptops probably searching for better places to stay, our initial reaction was thank god we had only booked two nights.

We kept faith as we had paid for one of the best rooms (Lanna Style) but when shown upstairs it was just as bad as reception, the bathroom was tired and bed linen looked like it had not been replaced for years and the balcony was not even big enough for a plant pot.

We moved out straight away and found somewhere cheaper and nicer, basic but for half the price (Top North Guest House).

The swimming pool at the Top North was twice the size as the one at the Royal Guest house which was no bigger than a bath tub, after the stresses of travelling all night and half the day it was good to finally relax somewhere that was clean.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank matt G

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

Nice quiet place just outside the Old City, less then 5 minute walk to southeast gate. Nice clean room, swimming pool and a friendly staff. Hotel itself is a little dated. WiFi in room is very spotty.

• Stayed February 2013
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Near the eastern gate of the Old City. Near Food Market. IMHO far from the Night Bazaar (walk very far, only a Tuk-tuk). In the guesthouse there is Wi-Fi, pool. We would like to have a room with a balcony. We were assured that there is a balcony. Balcony, really is, but to be there unpleasant, it's just a little room for the air conditioner. We lived on the second floor. The room is large. The room had a TV and conditioners. Only at the guesthouse of 7 floors, but no lift. A lot of mosquitoes.

Room Tip: Next time, I would have moved closer to the night bazaar.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple