“A Great Getaway”

Rainforest Boutique
Ranked #49 of 393 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Having read a really terrible review by an American lady I thought that the hotel must have suffered a change of management... fortunately it seems that it was simply that the reviewer had a bad start arriving just before the hotel's restaurant was closing - which is quite late - and simply allowed her frustration to bias her view of the hotel.
The showers in the cheaper rooms are the standard shower in the bath - which is very common in Thailand - but we have friends who are in their 70's who despite suffering from arthritis have not had any problems using the shower.
If you would prefer a large shower with separate bath and toilet then it will cost you more but you get much more space, lots of extra furniture and the added comfort that these extras provide.

Breakfast is always very good considering the very reasonable rates charged by the hotel.
Essentially you help yourself from several choices of main dish - usually chicken and pork with occasional fish dishes; rice, salad, toast, breakfast cereal, tea, coffee, and fruit juices and there is also a chef available to cook bacon, egg, omelette and pancakes on request.

It's great to be staying in a hotel which has two swimming pools because it means that if one pool is full the other is usually either empty or fairly quiet.

All in all the Rainforest is a great getaway at a relatively budget price and yet, the city is a short tuk tuk ride away. There is a lovely park less that a 10 minute walk away - almost opposite the train station - and a nice little noodle café just across the road.

I stay there frequently and so do many others... for most guests it is a place you don't want to leave and you are very happy to return to!

I always stay in the cheap rooms because my partner likes a balcony but I convinced her to try a week or so in one of the bigger rooms in the wing beside the old pool... believe it or not she still prefers the cheaper room because she loves to hang her washing on the balcony... I wouldn't mind but you can get your washing done locally for 20 or 30 Baht.

I've added pics of the superior room which I preferred but nagging Nom has triumphed and is happily hanging out washing on the balcony as I type :O(

Room Tip: Decide on what your priority is - price or comfort.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Johb K

Reviewed 27 June 2013

If you're looking for a quiet, relaxing hotel, this is what you're looking for! I loved it here from start to finish. The staff were beyond helpful, the food was pretty good, and the rooms are very rainforesty. The pool is incredibly relaxing, and the ambiance of the hotel makes you feel like you're in a rainforest away from the city. And for the most part, all you hear is nature, and the waterfall in the pool. I highly recommend staying here. It's my favorite place we've been. It's a little ways from the centre of the city, but we rented a motorbike ($3 US for 24 hours) and were in the city core in 3-5 minutes. I'll be staying here again next time I go back to Chiangmai.

Room Tip: Spring for the mo expensive room... You have a giant tub in your own outdoor tropical oasis. Seeing...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sara Z
Reviewed 25 June 2013

staff lied, food was horrific at best (and very overpriced), bathroom stank of urine/sewers constantly even after being cleaned. the icing on the cake was being charged 741thb for approx 1.5kg of washing, an express service which I specifically stated I did not want but reception chose it ignore. When I brought this issue up with management he walked away and was totally uninterested. As a result we cancelled the remainder of our stay and couldn't wait to leave.

I would strongly recommend anyone checking this place out on tripadvisor to think twice. Although the price may seem cheap at first glance, due to the location and expensive food, once you factor in a taxi or tuk tuk to get anywhere, it is not such a great deal! also, beware of the 'free shuttle service' guy as he will try and sell you absolutely anything at an extortionate rate (i assume this is how he compensates for providing a 'free' shuttle into town).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alastair M
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for more nights than expected. The hotel is located 5 minutes out of chiang mai near the train station - you can barter for a tuk tuk for 80 baht to town though. I liked the location - was nice and relAxibg after being in bangkok.

The breakfast is included and is really nice - the only thing I would say negative about that though is that the chefs who prepare pancakes and omelettes in front of you are quite unfriendly - one didn't even register my presence! And when I asked for more pancakes she seemed annoyed.

Also - BE CAREFUL : inside the rooms the window/balcony door was open in the two different rooms I stayed in - I asked the porter to lock it but he said that there was no lock - thus I discovered to be untrue as I managed to lock the door quite easily in the end. So as soon as you arrive lock that door as it will likely be closed but unlocked on arrival.

Other than that would recommend!

3  Thank Londonlawyer1990
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

First of all, the staff were so friendly and helpful. We were upgraded to the boutique rooms without asking. Sophie from the front desk went out of her way to make sure we enjoyed our stay by arranging tours etc. Rooms were lovely for what we paid and restaurant had beautiful food and cocktails.

Location was fine for us. About 5 minutes drive from town (100 baht for 4 people). There is a little store about 100 metres down the road and a 7-11 5 mins walk - same with the train station.

Thanks for the lovely service RBH staff!

2  Thank MikM791
Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a Rainforest Deluxe Room for 4 nights and had a very comfortable stay. The room was lovely, although no real windows (which I prefer so that the bugs can't get in :-) The air conditioning was great too. Our rooms were cleaned to a very high standard every day. A little tip - once your room has been cleaned detach the key card from the room key so that you can leave the air con on in the room - a bit cheeky!

We didn't realise there were two pools until the friendly hotel taxi driver showed us.

My only grip about this hotel are that the staff do not speak very good English and the decking boards around the Mai pool desperately need replacing (don't tread on a loose one if it has been raining - you'll get wet!) you can also put all your drinks, food etc on the room too.

The hotel offer a free shuttle bus to the night bazaar every night which we took advantage of. It offers lots of souvenirs and many resturants in the food hall section. We thoroughly enjoyed this. Barter for everything though, starting at less than half. A tuk tuk ride tops the evening off which is only 100bht - great fun. There is also a line of resturants just before you cross the river on the right hand side, the driver will also drop you here. The Riverside Resturant was our top choice, lots to choose from and live bands.

There isn't much around the hotel apart from motorbike shops and alot of construction so we generally just got taxis everywhere.

For a general shop to buy water etc if you head left out of the hotel and then left again there are a few there (instead of trying to cross the busy road)

We had fun there!

4  Thank RacheyMcD22
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Where do I begin, the location is terrible, in a very dirty part of town away from everything. When we first arrived at the hotel, after a long day of traveling, we wanted to eat something before going to bed, We asked the front desk where there was a place to grab a bite. His words were "Our kitchen closes in 10 mins, but there is a 7-11 down the street". Even though on the way there we saw multiple restaurants along the way. After walking for a very short time, we found multiple small restaurants (hole in the wall establishments, kind of scary to walk past, never mind eat at). We did end up risking it and ate at a whole in the wall, the food was decent. When entering our room, the smell of sewer overpowered the room. You would eventually get used to the putrid smell, but it was a smell that NEVER went away. That really took the romance out of our stay. I am not sure where those professional pictures came from, the room looked NOTHING like them. Old sheets with holes and blankets from 1980 on the bed (hopefully they washed them since then), bed frame covered in dirt, shower trimmed with wood and mold (water and wood not a good combo). Hallways are dingy, and outdated. The pool was the nicest part of the whole place, lobby area is nice too. Breakfast was not good, fruit was old and was a very limited selection. I would not recommend this place, terrible value!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple