“Went back again and again!”

Rainforest Boutique
Ranked #52 of 402 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

This was quite the little getaway for us! We stayed a few weeks in Chiang Mai here, we left to do overnight travels a few times and when considering anywhere else we immediately came back!

It is a little farther out from town but we never payed more than 100 for a tuktuk. Especially if you haggle. The night market usually 60-80 tbt and the Sunday market area usually 80-100 btb.

The pools are very nice to come back to, great food and breakfast and wifi available along with staff that was great to help you and always friendly! We were sad to leave and would definitely stay there again!

The only complaint was one of the rooms we stayed in had a leak in the bathroom that drenched the floors every day so that was a little setback but the other rooms we stayed in were stellar!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank taylor j

Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Everything about the hotel was amazing. Free shuttle to the night bazaar market which has great food ! It's so so quite ! Pool is great, close to train station, staff are great. I miss it ! The food at the hotel is great price as well/ we had free breakfast in the morning, but we would occasionally eat lunch there if we were having a chilled pool day . Really
Good price and the food tastes amazing ! We stayed here did 6 nights before moving on and we felt like it was the perfect amount of time- next time I come to Thailand I will go straight back here. The family who work with the hotel who can give the taxi service are really friendly too :)

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Annaj123
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in June and found the room and staff great, location required a tuktuk or taxi into town centre but should cost no more than 200baht, always haggle anyway. The pool is great and the food in the restaurant was quite good also. Would recommend it and happily stay here again. Only thing to note was one side of the double bed had damaged springs and would sink when sat on, luckily there was still plenty rooom for just myself so it wasnt ever an issue. Overall enjoyed my stayhere.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed here for three nights and found it to be excellent for the price. The staff were friendly and helpful, carried our luggage to our room on arrival, and explained the layout of the hotel as well as how to get to town and back. The city centre is a 5 minute drive away, and taxis are always available outside reception.
The room was well furnished, with comfy beds, a nice tiled bathroom with shower, although the shower pressure was weak at times, and there was no bath. The room had a handy fridge and a small balcony.
The pool area was peaceful and pretty, with plenty of green trees and sun loungers. We particularly liked the salt water swimming pool.
The room included breakfast, which consisted mainly of savoury Thai style dishes. The more western style breakfast options were not as nice as we hoped, but this is common in Thailand.
At one point I needed to visit a doctor and one staff member drove me and my girlfriend to the local hospital. This was very helpful for us as he also showed us where to go and what to do when we got there, as well as waiting with us the entire time, helping to translate, and driving us back to the hotel free of charge.
Overall we would highly recommend the hotel for its service and value for money,

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Having read a really terrible review by an American lady I thought that the hotel must have suffered a change of management... fortunately it seems that it was simply that the reviewer had a bad start arriving just before the hotel's restaurant was closing - which is quite late - and simply allowed her frustration to bias her view of the hotel.
The showers in the cheaper rooms are the standard shower in the bath - which is very common in Thailand - but we have friends who are in their 70's who despite suffering from arthritis have not had any problems using the shower.
If you would prefer a large shower with separate bath and toilet then it will cost you more but you get much more space, lots of extra furniture and the added comfort that these extras provide.

Breakfast is always very good considering the very reasonable rates charged by the hotel.
Essentially you help yourself from several choices of main dish - usually chicken and pork with occasional fish dishes; rice, salad, toast, breakfast cereal, tea, coffee, and fruit juices and there is also a chef available to cook bacon, egg, omelette and pancakes on request.

It's great to be staying in a hotel which has two swimming pools because it means that if one pool is full the other is usually either empty or fairly quiet.

All in all the Rainforest is a great getaway at a relatively budget price and yet, the city is a short tuk tuk ride away. There is a lovely park less that a 10 minute walk away - almost opposite the train station - and a nice little noodle café just across the road.

I stay there frequently and so do many others... for most guests it is a place you don't want to leave and you are very happy to return to!

I always stay in the cheap rooms because my partner likes a balcony but I convinced her to try a week or so in one of the bigger rooms in the wing beside the old pool... believe it or not she still prefers the cheaper room because she loves to hang her washing on the balcony... I wouldn't mind but you can get your washing done locally for 20 or 30 Baht.

I've added pics of the superior room which I preferred but nagging Nom has triumphed and is happily hanging out washing on the balcony as I type :O(

Room Tip: Decide on what your priority is - price or comfort.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Johb K
Reviewed 27 June 2013

If you're looking for a quiet, relaxing hotel, this is what you're looking for! I loved it here from start to finish. The staff were beyond helpful, the food was pretty good, and the rooms are very rainforesty. The pool is incredibly relaxing, and the ambiance of the hotel makes you feel like you're in a rainforest away from the city. And for the most part, all you hear is nature, and the waterfall in the pool. I highly recommend staying here. It's my favorite place we've been. It's a little ways from the centre of the city, but we rented a motorbike ($3 US for 24 hours) and were in the city core in 3-5 minutes. I'll be staying here again next time I go back to Chiangmai.

Room Tip: Spring for the mo expensive room... You have a giant tub in your own outdoor tropical oasis. Seeing...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sara Z
Reviewed 25 June 2013

staff lied, food was horrific at best (and very overpriced), bathroom stank of urine/sewers constantly even after being cleaned. the icing on the cake was being charged 741thb for approx 1.5kg of washing, an express service which I specifically stated I did not want but reception chose it ignore. When I brought this issue up with management he walked away and was totally uninterested. As a result we cancelled the remainder of our stay and couldn't wait to leave.

I would strongly recommend anyone checking this place out on tripadvisor to think twice. Although the price may seem cheap at first glance, due to the location and expensive food, once you factor in a taxi or tuk tuk to get anywhere, it is not such a great deal! also, beware of the 'free shuttle service' guy as he will try and sell you absolutely anything at an extortionate rate (i assume this is how he compensates for providing a 'free' shuttle into town).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple