“The worst hotel! Terrible experience!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of MO Rooms

MO Rooms
Ranked #135 of 710 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Macau, China
“The worst hotel! Terrible experience!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. There's no welcome and no assistance at all when we arrived. The staff only confirmed room type and collected money from us. Other than that, nothing! We had to ask anything one by one by ourselves. To be honest, location of the hotel is good. It's near the market and city center. The design of the rooms are good (We stayed in Pig and Dragon room), but please don't expect everything is good in the room. Most of the facilities are old and inconvenient for guest. My girl friend almost fell down because of the carpet in the room. Water from Shower head was not hot enough and pressure was so weak. Bed sheet and pillow cover are old, so many cotton hairs were stuck on our pants and cloths. We stayed in the Dragon room (1st floor) on the 2nd and 3rd day, it's very noisy outside our room. We didn't have good sleep during these two days (The noise from outside and air-con in the room).

The most terrible thing was, we tried to charge our phone on the 3rd night. The electricity of entire room short-circuit when I plugged in the adapter at 2am. (We used the same charger in Bangkok, China and my hometown for over one year). We are scared absolutely. The charger and cable was destroyed by this accident. Then we sought assistance from the staff. The staff told us "I will fix the electricity problem for you", but for the charger, you have to seek assistance again tomorrow morning". He had to inform his manager and he didn't care the accident at all after he knew the situation. His attitude, expression and tone... really ridiculous!!! He was unable to provide any assistance to us, even we want to borrow a charger or cable from him (No battery from this accident until we go back to our hometown. How inconvenient you can imagine). We eventually went to our bed after 3am. On the next day, we sought their assistance again. The staff told us that they had already contacted with the Apple store in my hometown, we can change a new charger from Apple store in my hometown. Ridiculous AGAIN!!! There's no apple store in my hometown indeed. How can they contact? Where did they contact? What did they do during this period? They only lied to their guest and didn't want to provide any solution or assistance. I had only 10 minutes left to go to airport after the conversation with the receptionist. He had to call again, then one lady (I think she is the manager?) talked to me again over the phone. She claimed that this is not their responsibility (So, It's my responsibility?). After 15 minutes, The lady arrived hotel (We was already late for our flight then), She had exactly the same conversation with us over the phone previously. Finally, she was unable to give us a solution and we must to leave. The only thing we can do was we left our contact method to them.

I won't stay in this hotel and recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ay S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

My husband and I stayed in the monkey room for two nights and while the design was really neat, the stone floor in the bathroom was uncomfortable to walk on. The nest bed was one of the most comfortable we stayed in on our 3 week trip in Thailand and we absolutely loved the staff. There is a good breakfast selection and I love the seating options upstairs. We were in town for the Loy Krathong and Yi Ping festivals and the parade went right in front of the hotel. The hotel is within close walking distance of the fabric market, night bazaar and Tha pae gate. We swam in the pool and while it was pretty cold, we did not find the size to be an issue. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a unique getaway.

Room Tip: Remember that the pictures of the rooms are panoramic so they may look bigger than they actually are...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Molly S
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Pros
- unique and funky designed rooms
- great location close to Tha Phae Gate
- you get to choose your room when you book
- free bottled water

Cons
- really really hard and uncomfortable beds
- design is at the expense of practicality and comfort
- staff speak little English (but then I speak little Thai!!!)
- tiny safe in room (would fit passport and wallet, but not iPad or laptop)
- swimming pool not big enough to swim in

Stayed at Mo Rooms for 5 nights whilst in Chaing Mai as part of our trip to Thailand. We were drawn to Mo Rooms by the unusual and quirky design. As a designer myself, I always try to choose hotels that are a bit different from the norm, and have an element of originality to their design. Where Mo Rooms fails drastically though is that the design comes totally at the expense of comfort and practicality. Yes, the concept is great, and on appearance the rooms are funky and totally unique. But the fact that I woke up each morning feeling physically exhausted and with aching muscles due to the hardness of the mattresses is not exactly a great selling point.

We stayed in the Dog suite for 3 nights and the Dragon suite for 2 (as there were no rooms available for 5 nights).
The Dog suite features an egg shaped bed cast out of concrete, which would have been great had the mattress been even remotely comfortable. There was a small table, and two small wooden chairs which were also very hard, so you couldn't lounge or relax on them. There was a small hanging rail, but no hangers, and no draws or shelving to put clothes away. The basin, shower and wc were all open to the room, not a problem as far as the shower and basin go, but a tiny freestanding screen next to the wc does not offer much privacy (and let's face it, there are some moments that most of us want to keep to ourselves!!!) The design of the shower was quite cool, but pebbles set into the floor made for more discomfort.
There were some good points though - effective air con, funky lights, bottled water provided free each day.

Then we moved to the Dragon Suite. This room was certainly more practical. There was good storage - you even got 2 clothes hangers, and there was a comfortable chair for relaxing on. The bathroom was in a separate area, with a wall dividing it and the bedroom, and was very large. It was a bit odd as there were no windows - it felt a bit like being in a cave - but I guess this was part of the Dragon theme, and it was not an issue. It was however right next to the pool (literally 2 metres from the door) so when children were in there splashing about early in the morning they may as we'll have been in the room with you!!!

I would really like to give MoRooms a higher rating. They are to be commended on providing accommodation which is totally unique and quirky. But unfortunately, as far as comfort goes, the negatives outweigh the positives. I understand that they do not purport to be luxury hotel, or even actually to be a hotel, but I believe the very basics of accommodation are not being addressed. Perhaps had we had stayed in different rooms our experience would have been more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Avoid the Dog Suite
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

The design was unique, but the room was smaller than the hotel's picture.
We stayed in the monkey room the 1st night. It was dark and small. the floor was extremely hard, and i had to wear slippers and walk carefully. your toilet and bathroom are open and in the same room with your bed.
On the 2nd day morning, we've been informed to move to another room(goat) with the reason that someone was moving in the monkey room. Well I didn't mind, because the monkey room was smelly and dark.
The Goat room was much better, with the only problem that your bathroom is a piece of wood on big hard rocks, so I felt dangerous when closing eyes when showering. Again, your toilet was open and in same room with your bed.
Last, the reception service was not that good. Because I can feel been given an attitude when we check-in.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

First of all I have to say Mo Rooms really is a nice place to stay when you're in Chiang Mai. The rooms are designed in a very stylish manner and every room looks different than the other. Someone told me it's all decorated following the rules of Fengh Sui but I have to admit I have no idea of it and so I cannot really tell whether this is true. Rooms are clean and equipped with everything you need. Breakfast is okay (have had it better for a lower price though) and the location is perfect because it is very close to the heart of the old town, some of the most important temples and Chiang Mai's great night markets.

There are only two minuses we have found during our stay. First one is the reception desk, i.e. concierge services. The problem with it is, there aren't any. Doesn't matter if you need assistance with finding a local driver or opening the locked safety box in your room or with making a brief reservation call to the next spa - it's obviously all a bit too complicated for them. So before checking in make sure to have your travel guide at hand and figure out how to manage everything on your own.

The second (minor) minus is the pool. It looks very cool design-wise and is integrated in the hotel very nicely, but don't think of it as a proper swimming pool. It's more what you would call a pond. However, it looks really nice.

However, we liked the atmosphere (nice guests around) and the hotel a lot when we were in Chiang Mai and we can strongly recommend this hotel for everyone who is not interested in the usual and boring hotels, but a more individual setting.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here with friends for 3 nights recently,the arty concept is good but the execution was not up to expectations....should have got interior designers to advise the artists....if you like sleeping on rock hard floors with pillows like bricks and plugs on extensions on the floors,no hanging space to unpack,toilets basically in the room and generally a worn and tired look,then Mo rooms are for you.Staff very friendly,but we finished the bars quarter bottles of Johnny walker and Jameson's the first evening,and by the 3rd evening they had still not re stocked,maybe they are not there to make money....place could do with an update and reprint,definitely will not be returning...ever

Room Tip: Avoid the goat room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

One of the most amazing things about Chang Mai I love is that you can find these stunningly unique cafés for a coffee or drink. It's such a treat after a life of Starbucks.

I did not stay in the hotel, but it looked interesting. Might be a better fit for someone younger.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo