“Perfect for why I stayed there.”

Vdara Resort and Spa
Ranked #166 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Hong Kong, China
“Perfect for why I stayed there.”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Was here for one month in February for a residential course. Room was huge and comfortable. Meals were delicious. Staff were friendly and helpful. Resort is isolated which suited me as I didn't need any distractions. Chiang Mai centre was approx 30 minutes away by taxi. WiFi was great in my room for the first 2 weeks and then the quality dropped towards the end. Overall a great place for the course but I wouldn't want to stay here as a tourist.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank the_wibblywobblies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Vdara is a nice resort in chiangmai, it is not far from Big C (shopping store) and airport.
the swimming pool is very great, restaurant sitting is nice, facing to the pool.
the room size is big and very big.

sales office is very nice and friendly, we booked for one month stay.
they are well informative and quite flexible to match our request.

the hotel locates pretty remote, you need to have a car, or use taxi service to town.

Room Tip: if you are not active type, you may request for a room on the ground floor. (hotel has no elevator)
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I found this hotel remote and away from everything. Breakfast was poor, coffee undrinkable. The rooms are big but space is not used well. If you stay here, you will take cabs everywhere. The wifi was terrible and service passable. I would not recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank kpchitown
Oregon
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We have been retired and living in Thailand for the past 17 years, and we have traveled and stayed in all kinds of hotels and "resorts". By far this is the nicest resort-type place we have ever stayed in while in Thailand at this modest price of $55.00 (US Dollars) per night. It was built in 2008 so everything still has a "new" feel to it. It is in a residential neighborhood though so there isn't anything to see on a walk around the area. No 7-11 nearby but hotel staff said they could take us somewhere by motorcycle. That was sweet of them but we declined.

We chose this resort because it is somewhat close to the airport (but no plane noise at all) and also close to our friends. It was VERY difficult finding the resort from the directions on various websites. Our Thai friend who was taking us there finally had to call the resort, explain where we were at, and get directions. My Thai is pretty good after all of these years, but not THAT good when it comes to getting directions. I suppose the resort picks people up at the airport and so it is not normally a problem. If you plan to come, make sure your driver can find the place. For those with GPS units, I logged the the coordinates at Vdara Resort entrance as being N18.74315 E98.94967 Perhaps this will help the next traveler find it easier, since more and more people have GPS on their mobile phones. Put those coordinates in Google Earth to get an satellite view of the place. Google Earth has the coordinates for the center of the pool at N18.742906 E98.949932

It has a very large sparkling blue pool in the courtward with child's pool in one corner and a jucuzzi in another corner. The room is HUGE (5 meters wide and 10 meters long!) ... Queen bed, two nice end tables, lovely work table, another long table with huge mirror, full length mirror, two soft chairs with table between, refrigerator, free coffee with hot water pot, hair dryer, large bathroom which has a very large, glass-doored shower, room slippers and robes included (I suppose the latter for lounging by the pool?) Air conditioner works very well. Floors are tile (looks like wood pattern) since carpeting doesn't work well in Thailand.

We were greeted pleasantly by the staff with a (non-alcoholic) fruit drink. We ate the evening meal in the hotel restaurant which was satisfactory but not special. Free breakfast but no bacon (my only disappointment throughout Thailand). Free internet but signal too weak to work in our room (second floor) and they said I would probably have to go to the lobby. But I tethered my phone to my computer instead.

Oh, and our most important requirement - cleanliness . . . everything is spotlessly clean! We will stay here as often as we come visit our friends. The "downside" is that it is not downtown, so a ride by hotel staff or public taxi or personal car is necessary to get into the shopping - night market areas in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room overlooking the pool. The ambience is better than some of the rooms we...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank mojaco
Marquette, Michigan
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I had pre-paid the hotel and was welcomed at check-in with the Resort fee ($18.00 per day) which included the newspaper (published every three days), two small water bottles and internet access. Then, I had a package delivered to the hotel for a presentation, $10.00 fee. Every time I turned around the hotel charged a fee for something. Workers were curt and professional but not exactly friendly.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends