“The experience is just like in the musical--- " the King and I "”

Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 376 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“The experience is just like in the musical--- " the King and I "”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Great staff, everyone is very friendly and efficient! A real boutique hotel experience! The dinner was also fantastic and the price is quite reasonable, anyway, I was not so wiling to going out during my stay, as the hotel is so wonderful!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Jun M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

My fiancé and I recently stayed at Ping Nakara to take pre-wedding photos, and it was a great decision to take them here. As a hotelier with extensive 5 Star management experience, we felt like we were at "home" again.

What an amazing classic 5 star experience! The hotel is like a well kept archive or museum.
From the 50 year old Mercedes Benz, the beautiful lobby, and exquisite rooms, you have the feeling of stepping back in time, when life was elegantly celebrated.

From a discerning guest's perspective, it's a very well managed hotel, with just the right amount of guest attention, not over-bearing and not pretentious.

I have traveled extensively, and rarely respond to surveys or post comments, but in this case it is warranted. We will definitely return to stay a few nights or even just for coffee or dinner.

I commend Mr. Keeler, General Manager for his efforts and the team.

Room Tip: Choose a suite with a wonderful balcony. Excellent serenity.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mig008
ChairatPingNakara, General Manager at Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel. Our owner spent years contemplating the concept and then working until it was ready. It is his vision that gives us such a great template to work from. Our staff do work hard to give our guests the feeling that the service is at hand but not overpowering, and it is rewarding to see that it is noticed and appreciated. I also appreciated your words about me, but in truth I have a very easy job working in this place with these people…and we have wonderful guests come and experience this. Thank you again, and please come back some day!
Best wishes,
Joe Keeler
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is just as advertised, a bona fide resort, but within walking distance of the city center.

The rooms are huge and the bathrooms are sumptuous with every amenity. And get this! Everything in the minibar is free, no charge complementary. If there's anything you need, the staff hop right to it.

The pool is as good as it looks and long enough for lap swimming.

Breakfasts aren't a chain hotel blowout buffet, but thoughtfully prepared with plenty of choices.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

First thing first - they forgot to pick my daughter and I up from the airport. This was a bit of a let down as we had expected someone to be there to greet us. However, the girl who had came to fetch us was a trainee I was prepare to accept her apology.
Having just stayed 6 nights at the Ping Nakara I have found the accommodation to be more than satisfying.
Taken the option of the ' Thai food package' was well worth it, since foods that were offered were delicious and plentiful.
Whilst there my daughter and I we visited there spa venue which was well worth it as the therapists were accommodating and professional.
The room itself was large and beautifully decorated, whilst the new manager 'Khun Nopadol' was always there to ensure that we were satisfied with the hotel.
My daughter who is a car enthusiast loved the old Mercedes which was 56 years old. It appeared that if you had an errant to perform should it be within a short distant both the driver and the Merc was happy to accommodate your request.
The only thing I would suggest is that please change the music as having listened to the same music continuously after the first day does bored you slightly.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
ChairatPingNakara, Owner at Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for writing about our hotel. We are glad that you are satisfied with the hotel and the spa.
I also wanted to reply about some issues you found during your stay. I must apologize for the mistake about your pick-up transfer, and we are setting up procedures to prevent this kind of incident from happening again. Our background music is mostly Thai songs, and from your comment, we are now adding more music and will shuffle them more frequently.
Finally, It is our pleasure to provide as many complimentary services as possible for our guests, such as free wifi, free minibar, welcome drink, cold towel, and free short ride if the car or tricycle is available.
Again, we sincerely appreciate your comments, and I do hope to welcome you and your dauther again soon.
Kind regards,
Chairat
Cebu City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We've stayed 3 nights in Ping Nakara and it was exceptional from the very first second. The hotel is so well designed, with attention to every little detail. I like beautiful objects and architecture, and they have managed to exceed my expectations. We had a top floor room with a small balcony overlooking the right side of the pool with a view on luxuriant vegetation. The rooms are very well decorated and comfortable, I felt at home for the entire duration of the stay.

We also went for a 2-hour massage and it was a delightful experience. The staff is well trained and it was one of the best massages I have ever had.

I would definitely go back to this hotel every time I have the chance traveling to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was my second stay and I intend to make it an annual event. Both the rooms and the common areas – especially the library – offer the feeling of sanctuary that many repeat guests come here for. I often find myself spending the entire day at the hotel; sometimes I don’t even want to leave for dinner.
With only 19 rooms, guests never have to worry about a mega bus unloading an endless stream of pushy tourists clamoring for their welcome drink. Unlike many old world retreats in developing countries, one can enjoy the quiet, colonial type setting of Ping Nakara with the relief of knowing that neither the hotel nor Thailand actually had a colonial past.
The rooms smack of warmth and tradition. The comfort level of the beds and pillows is first rate. The service is wonderful and has all the five-star touches: continuous replenishment of water, soft drinks, snack items and towels. Unless travelling with a family, I didn’t see a need to pony up for the larger rooms as their only real addition is a Jacuzzi – something I find a bit overindulgent in a poor country that is so often drought stricken. Also, these rooms are closer to the road. Given the design of the hotel, the smaller abodes are actually more insulated from the street than their big brothers. Most of these also have terraces, many of which afford very nice vistas while giving the guests a bit more privacy than the pool-abutting verandas of the larger rooms.
My only reservation is that Ping doesn’t have a fitness center. Given the limited real estate, any such facility would have to be small. But, since the nearest health club is quite far, even a small exercise room with some aerobic machines and free weights would be a welcome addition.
While not their main clientele, Ping Nakara is gay friendly. The Shan colleague that sometimes accompanies me is treated with the same dignity and respect as other guests.
There are not many places left in the world like this; experience it while you can.
James McLoughlin, New York City

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Shamus-NY
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This spotlessly white hotel has 19 rooms which means it's personal, discreet and cozy, none of this buffet breakfast with 100 other people sort of thing. It's located just round the corner from the southern end of the night market, perfect to walk to for a bite at night. It's next to the river, and although you can't see it from the hotel, just pop across to Nakara Jardin to enjoy an afternoon tea with a river view. The rooms are comfortable, the beds are sleep-inducing to the most die-hard insomniac, and there's even a pillow menu to choose from. The pool is clean, no smell of chlorine at all, and provides a very calm and relaxing view when having breakfast in the morning. The breakfast has a selection of cereal, yoghurt, juices, healthy grain bread, cold cuts and smoked salmon, super fresh salad with healthy dressings, all laid out beautifully at your disposal, and when you think you can't eat anymore, there's a menu of entrees to choose from - eggs any way with an array of sides, pancakes/waffles etc, and from the Asian section there is Chiang Mai sausage, grilled pork, congee, and noodles etc. The staff are friendly and helpful, making reservations and checking up information for us endlessly. The spa is simply put, heavenly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vanessa W
ChairatPingNakara, Owner at Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for such a wonderful review. We are elated that you had such a happy experience at our hotel. We strive to make every guest’s experience a very positive one. Our GM has told the staff about your review, they were very happy and proud to have done a good job for you. We hope you will return to elegance some day and meanwhile wish you happy and safe travels.
Kind regards,