“Another great stay at the Ping Nakara!”

Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 375 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
“Another great stay at the Ping Nakara!”
Reviewed 13 September 2010

This was my third visit to the delightful Ping Nakara, and from the moment of arrival when Khun Boonarpa, Front Desk, greeted me by name and I was met by the owner, Khun Chairat, my three days passed all too quickly.

On an earlier visit I had asked for a fan so that I could turn the airconditioner off. This time there was a fan in my room. The staff had also noticed that on an earlier visit I had moved the desk lamp to a bedside table to give better light for reading in bed. There was an additional desk lamp placed on my bedside table.

Little things - remembering a name, remembering a request - all add great value to an exceptional hotel. In architectural style it is like the wonderful E&O hotel in Penang or the old Raffles in Singapore. In service it is the equal of the Four Seasons in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

I am so impressed by this hotel and its staff that I really have to think hard when completing the guest satisfaction form ... and on my this visit reported that the alarm clock was ten minutes fast ... and that was just about all I could fault .... but perhaps it was my watch which was ten minutes slow ...

Hallomega

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
New York
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I just returned from Thailand and stayed at Ping Nakara for 3 days/2 nights. I have to admit that while I use tripadvisor religiously, I am not usually one to write a review because I'm lazy but after visiting Ping Nakara, I told myself I definitely would. With all my travels, I have never stayed at such a place that was so friendly and kind. Being that this is a boutique hotel (i believe there were only 19 rooms or so), the staff is attentive, friendly, kind, and warm. The front desk assisted us with any problems or questions we had. We were always greeted with smiles, whether it was from the doorman, the bartender, the waiters during breakfast, or the front desk. When we asked about mosquitoes in the area, the bartender got us bug spray at no cost. We had planned trips while we were in Chiang Mai and apparently, they contacted our hotel to make sure we were still going and because we were out during the call, Ping Nakara so graciously wrote us letters on letterheads to let us know our trips were being confirmed - so professional! When it was raining out, the front desk let us use the umbrellas they had out in the front.

The hotel: The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The outside AND inside was built with intricate designs and decorated with a lot of thought. The pool was located in the center of the hotel. Though I didn't swim in it, my boyfriend did and he said that the water was not made for younger children as the water was somewhat deep. The room was lavishly decorated and had the nicest amenities. The bathroom had a tub to soak in and a shower that had the option of a rainshower or a shower head to use. They always included 4 bottles of water (2 during the day and 2 at night) and when the guys would come in to do the turndown service, they always took their shoes off by the door. The bed was very comfortable and plush. The hotel offers a pillow service but the ones in the room were so comfortable, we didn't need to pick different pillow they had offered (memory foam, hypoallergenic, etc.) The hotel had 2 computers, complimentary to guests. Each time we used it, the bartender would offer a cold, wonderfully smelling towel and some fried taro and rice-crispy like snack while we were surfing.

The location: Since my boyfriend and I are walkers, we walked to the Old City which was about a good 20-30 minute walk. The night bazaar is even closer, maybe a 15 walk. If this seems to far for you, tuk tuks are right by the corner and it was really cheap. 40 bahts from the night bazaar (which is about $1.20) and 60 bahts from the Old City.

Breakfast: We sat right by the pool every morning. The view was gorgeous. Breakfast was okay. Selection wasn't the best but it was your average. Aside from choosing either eggs or congee, there was a small selection of breads, rolls, fruit, cereal, etc. I've had better breakfasts but the atmosphere and the kindness of the waiters made the experience better. The waiter that served us each morning was always smiling and making sure we were happy.

I had debated over staying at the Chedi (which is right down the block) but I am so glad I didn't. I loved Ping Nakara and I would stay there again in a heartbeat. For a little over $100 a day, this place is a steal. As soon as this place becomes more popular, the prices will surely go up so go while you can.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank joanna72
, Owner at Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2010
Dear Joanna,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough and great review! Our team was so glad to receive a wonderful compliment from you about our services.

I always read every comment in TripAdvisor and used them to improve our services. Your comment make us look into our breakfast serving and we will be happy to add varieties of food together with seasonal tropical fruits to make sure that our guests will be more delighted. Our pool is 1.50 meters (5 ft.) deep which can be good for both adults and children. However, children should be under the supervision of the parents. The complimentary water in the room is Thailand’s well-known mineral water brand which came from the Mae Rim Mountain 20 km north of Chiang Mai city. We put 4 bottles in each room which guests can always ask for more without any additional cost.

I really love your thorough review which mentioned not only about our hotel but also the city itself. This will be good source of information for other visitors who may want to visit Chiang Mai. I would like to add a bit of info about our location. Ping Nakara is situated on a quiet road but in the center of town. It is within the walking distance to all the actions such as Night Market (open from 18:00-24:00 hrs. daily) and selection of Thai, Chinese and International restaurants. Every Sunday, there is a walking street in the old town area which is about 20-30 minutes walk as you had mentioned. If going by taxi, it takes only 5 minutes ride which our staff will be happy to arrange the transportation for the guests.

It was a pleasure to host your stay at Ping Nakara, and we hope you'll be able to join us again in the future.

Warm regards,
Chairat Usavangkul
Owner
lancaster england
Reviewed 25 August 2010

A real gem ! great attention to detail a home from home we stayed 4 nights and had 2 rooms both were excellent.My 2 children aged 14 and 15 loved the place for its calm and relaxing pool space

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank thetravellerman
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 17 August 2010

A truly hidden gem in the center of Chiang Mai, Ping Nakara offered us one of the best hotel experiences ever. Wonderful colonial architecture, first class spa and a truly outstanding service - the whole team was there to ensure that our needs were met and then do more. While in the city we visited all major 5 star hotels - Ping Nakara wins hands down!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Evangelos18
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 31 July 2010

The Ping Nakara has a classic elegant feel with spacious rooms, high ceilings, and excellent furnishings. The hotel is centrally located with easy and quick access to many restaurants and the popular night market. The staffs are very friendly, attentive and very helpful. This hotel has character and ambiance that few can match. It is a great place to stay. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we would highly recommend this hotel to everyone who is going to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cgrogertn
Redwood City
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I can't say enough good things about this wonderful hotel!! The building is so beautiful, the rooms are very nice, and the service feels like you are staying at the Four Seasons. The staff really are so attentive and we actually got teary when we left. And we were very impressed with the very reasonable prices for both the hotel stay and their delicious on site restaurant. We also used their laundry services and this was the first hotel in Thailand that the laundry prices were not over exaggerated. This was an absolutely gem of a hotel. A big thanks to all the staff, including the general manager, Krisda for all of your warm hospitality and kindness throughout our 5 night stay.

-Emily & Yolanda

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LasMuchachas
Wiesbaden
Reviewed 12 July 2010

The Ping Nakara is a wonderful new 20-room colonial-style boutique hotel close to the city center of Chiang Mai and the Mae Ping river. The rooms offer a lot of space and a very tasteful decor, perfectly combining old and new. Most remarkable is the minute attention to detail that is apparent throughout your stay.
All members of staff are truly excelling in providing friendly and efficient service. Food at the restaurant is remarkable, and the adjacent swimming pool guarantees a perfect lazy late afternoon in northern Thailand's heat.
The hotel's spa is offering ayurveda treatments that come with a higher price tag than at other Chiang Mai day spas, but quality and service are outstanding.
The only minor drawback during my stay was a slightly higher level of traffic noise due to the location on a sometimes busier street and the sounds from adjacent rooms.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo