I was extremely pleased with almost everything that the Ping Nakara could offer, but it was just let down by some tiny things. A bar that cannot offer a slice of lemon or lime with a gin and tonic is not a bar that I would go to again. The offered explanation was that they had run out. Well, there are enough shops nearby for someone to run out to to buy one, but that simple piece of logic seemed to escape the imagination of the staff.
After 8 hours of travelling to get to Chiang Mai, all I wanted to do was to get into the room, shower and snooze. But the hotel's policy is to sit you down with a glass of green tea and a cold towel in a separate room and ask you to fill in some forms before they will show you upstairs. That is irritating and unnecessary. Most other hotels in the world, take a swipe of your credit card, issue you the key and off you go. So why is it different here? Some thought needs to go into this part of the hotel 'experience'.
OK, the toilet was blocked. Twice. But these things happen. The hand-held shower was broken; a repair was promised but never took place. And the knob which releases the bath plug was bust. All three indicate a sloppy attitude to maintenance which, in the long-run, will cause this still new hotel to become run down and shoddy.
Bathroom amenity kit did not extend to a toothbrush and paste.
The front-desk staff were exceptionally good, helpful and attentive.
But the turn-down staff in the evening were not sharp-eyed enough to see the dirty cup and saucer in front of them, and they had to be nudged into replacing the coffee creamer powder. Incidentally, coffee creamer powder is horrible when used in tea.
And while writing about tea, what on earth is going on in the breakfast staff's brain when they fill a teapot with luke-warm water? And then serve it with a jug of boiled milk! Tea should be hot and milk should be cold. And a knife and fork is needed to eat breakfast - they should be on the table, and not have to be requested. A bit of staff training is required here.
If all these little things were sorted out (and it comes down to getting the staff to think about what they are doing) then the hotel will deserve its high position in the charts. At the moment, for me, it is 5-star design, ambience and comfort with 3- and 4-star service.
The spa, by the way is good, professional and decent. The masseurs are great! It is a little bit over-priced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel and Spa. Set in the awe-inspiring colonial style of the early 1900’s, the Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel and Spa is located at the heart of Chiang Mai’s vibrant business centre and entertainment venues. The hotel is just a five minute walking distance from Chiang Mai’s famous Night Bazaar to the numerous riverside restaurants, while at the same time allowing guests to enjoy the peace and tranquility of the natural surroundings. The three-storey hotel with a central elevator boasts of 19 luxury guestrooms, all individually styled and elegantly furbished with the colonial charm. Complimentary Wi-Fi is available in all the rooms including a TV, DVD player and a free mini bar. The hotel's restaurant offers a wide variety of food from authentic Thai cuisine to Western dishes. Coffee and tea, soft drinks, wines and liquor are served at the Lobby Bar, and guests can enjoy their drinks in the comfort of the library or at the peaceful verandah by the outdoor pool. For holistic health and relaxation, guests can unwind and enjoy the genuine Ayurvedic treatment from the hotel’s Nakara Spa. Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel and Spa offers a broad range of services, facilities and amenities designed to provide personalized service and first class hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Southall Travel, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel Chiang Mai
- Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel And Spa