“BED BUGS!!! Cockroaches... Filthy place”

Grace Boutique Guest House
Ranked #246 of 833 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Found this place wandering around when the festival was on so everywhere was booked out, we were lucky to find anywhere at the time, now realizing why they had space. we rented 3 double rooms between and each romm was the same Terrible filthy and poky, rude staff and no pool as promised, construction outside till late at night. Cockroaches in my room, my friend got badly bitten by bed bugs, and the water from the sink stank out the entire room, A/C didn't work and bed clothes were dirty.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Nice guesthouse, got a few quotes when we arrived in Chiang Mai, and these guys were one of the cheapest. Yes, there is building work going on next door (where the pool used to be?) but it didn't affect our sleep. Staff gave us fresh towels every day (and toilet paper when we needed it!) and I spoke with one of the guys on night watch who seemed friendly. Good location in old city for temples, cafes and markets. Love Chiang Mai!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is by far the worst accomodation I had in my travels for the following reasons.

1. Hotel is run down. Rooms are small and very dirty to the point that I have to wear footwear around the room. When I checked in, the rubbish from the previous guests was not even cleared.

2. Water supply in the room is irregular and unpredictable, making showering bordering on impossible.

3. The bed feels itchy when i sleep on it and true enough, i got bitten by bed bugs on my stay there.

The only positive is the location but I wouldnt recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and then moved elsewhere. The hotel is run down, the rooms are cramped and appeared quite dirty. The toilet in the bathroom leaked. We got charged more then double the advertised price through a travel agent (beware!) so we rang him and got our money back and changed hotels (not the hotels fault). They are also under construction so the pool isn't available. BUT they were so lovely and were really helpful in giving our money back. Hopefully it will be a nice place when they have built the new building!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Booked this hotel just based on the location and the pool and were left with only the location.

The POOL is no more, just a building site as they are renovating it or turning it into more hotel space. This was the one redeeming quality of the hotel, besides the obvious location.

The rooms were borderlining disgusting. I wanted to bring a pressure sprayer in and give the room a deep clean. On the first night we found a cockroach the size of the palm of my hand. When I went down to tell the hotel staff, first, the person working there didn't speak English very well, then when I finally explained that I wanted bug spray he said "Why" - because my husband is allergic to cockroaches, that's why. He managed to give us an empty can of bug spray and said "That's all we have" to my response - Go buy more. He says, the manager isn't here, I can't. And I never figured out who the manager was to speak to him. Maybe the guy that was always sleeping behind the tour desk...

The TV in our room was broken so we never used that and the A/C didn't work very well. You wake up the next morning with a backache because the beds are so hard and so are the pillows. I put a towel in the pillowcase to make the pillow a bit softer. You have to be creative in places like this.

Do yourself a favor and spend a LITTLE more and get a better room nearby.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We like the location, that it's set back, has a nice pool, with places to sit, and the room was decent, even if not great. Anyway, it fit the bill. We told them we'd be staying for a week.

We saw a tour/trek we wanted to take, but we found the exact same route for literally half the price from a travel agency on Thapae Road, just outside the old city. The van came to pick us up, we had a great time, and all went well. Except that the Grace people saw this go down.

Not only were they less nice to us, they later told us that we would have to vacate our room the next morning because they were renting it to someone else. We told them about us staying for a week and they just rudely said that we had been there 4 days already (it had only been 3, but whatever) and that we had to go.

We felt terrible about this, were angry with them for how they treated us so rudely and disrespectfully, they were clearly lying, but they were punishing us for not taking their expensive tour.

We felt lost, not knowing what to do, but soon thereafter found another guest house and it turned out to be a much better place for us...also with a pool, a bigger and nicer room, and also a great location in the old city.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Having arrived in Chiang mai without booking a room we got grace boutique through the attached tour company they run. To be fair they let us have a look around first so we knew what we were getting. We wanted to save some money for a few nights so got the room. There is no pool anymore - its a building site! The beds are so uncomfortable, we had one room with springs you could feel every part of, and another with a mattress that may as well have been the floor! Rooms have ac which is a must. Poorly decorated but not really an issue. The shower is just attached to the wall - no cubicle or curtain so the whole bathroom gets wet. Fine for a few days if you're on a budget but I'm sure you could pay the same and get something a bit nicer.

• Stayed: May 2013