“What a horrible place!”

Grace Boutique Guest House
Ranked #221 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We checked in and checked back out after 2 hours. Bed bugs, cockroaches, full of Mosquitos and the room stank of the sewers. The staff are rude and didn't care. This may be a budget place but that doesn't mean it has to be vile. Building site next door as well.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willjstuart

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

When my partner and I arrived in Chang Mai, we searched in the ok town for a nice place for a good price (we were backpacking through Asia). Boutique grace guesthouse was the best option we found.
We had a lovely time in this guesthouse! The room was lovely: good size, with tv and a little desk. I felt it very warm and cosy. Good value for money!

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Found this place wandering around when the festival was on so everywhere was booked out, we were lucky to find anywhere at the time, now realizing why they had space. we rented 3 double rooms between and each romm was the same Terrible filthy and poky, rude staff and no pool as promised, construction outside till late at night. Cockroaches in my room, my friend got badly bitten by bed bugs, and the water from the sink stank out the entire room, A/C didn't work and bed clothes were dirty.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Nice guesthouse, got a few quotes when we arrived in Chiang Mai, and these guys were one of the cheapest. Yes, there is building work going on next door (where the pool used to be?) but it didn't affect our sleep. Staff gave us fresh towels every day (and toilet paper when we needed it!) and I spoke with one of the guys on night watch who seemed friendly. Good location in old city for temples, cafes and markets. Love Chiang Mai!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is by far the worst accomodation I had in my travels for the following reasons.

1. Hotel is run down. Rooms are small and very dirty to the point that I have to wear footwear around the room. When I checked in, the rubbish from the previous guests was not even cleared.

2. Water supply in the room is irregular and unpredictable, making showering bordering on impossible.

3. The bed feels itchy when i sleep on it and true enough, i got bitten by bed bugs on my stay there.

The only positive is the location but I wouldnt recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and then moved elsewhere. The hotel is run down, the rooms are cramped and appeared quite dirty. The toilet in the bathroom leaked. We got charged more then double the advertised price through a travel agent (beware!) so we rang him and got our money back and changed hotels (not the hotels fault). They are also under construction so the pool isn't available. BUT they were so lovely and were really helpful in giving our money back. Hopefully it will be a nice place when they have built the new building!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Booked this hotel just based on the location and the pool and were left with only the location.

The POOL is no more, just a building site as they are renovating it or turning it into more hotel space. This was the one redeeming quality of the hotel, besides the obvious location.

The rooms were borderlining disgusting. I wanted to bring a pressure sprayer in and give the room a deep clean. On the first night we found a cockroach the size of the palm of my hand. When I went down to tell the hotel staff, first, the person working there didn't speak English very well, then when I finally explained that I wanted bug spray he said "Why" - because my husband is allergic to cockroaches, that's why. He managed to give us an empty can of bug spray and said "That's all we have" to my response - Go buy more. He says, the manager isn't here, I can't. And I never figured out who the manager was to speak to him. Maybe the guy that was always sleeping behind the tour desk...

The TV in our room was broken so we never used that and the A/C didn't work very well. You wake up the next morning with a backache because the beds are so hard and so are the pillows. I put a towel in the pillowcase to make the pillow a bit softer. You have to be creative in places like this.

Do yourself a favor and spend a LITTLE more and get a better room nearby.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple