“Very friendly and personalised”

Classic Home Cooking
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I selected Classic Home Cooking school over the many other cooking schools in Chiaang Mai becuase of the good reviews that it had received on Trip Advisor and also because I wanted to be in a small class with lots of one on one attendtion by the instructors. I was not dissapointed, as there were only 5 people in our class, and the owners Vaneee and Yana were so friendly and knowledgeable. I am a pretty mediocre cook, and yet I still maanaged to produce some pretty amazing dishes as did everyone in the class. On the way back to our respective hotels we all agreed that it had been a great experience and excellent value for money.

All reviews
"actual cooking"
in 3 reviews
"big market"

Reviewed 11 November 2011

My wife and I signed up for the Classic Home Cooking course based upon recommendations on Trip Advisor. We are glad we chose this course! We each chose four different dishes to cook, so we learned a total of eight dishes. Plus the course includes a cook book with all 50 of the recipe options, so we can try more dishes at home.
I love to try local specialty dishes when I travel. After spending a couple of days in Chiang Mai, I had picked a couple of my favorite dishes (Khoa Soi and Tom Kha soup). Ms. Vannee taught me how to cook both of them!
After picking us up at our hotel, Ms. Vannee took us to a local market to pick up the ingredients for the dishes we chose. My wife LOVED the market. A person that loves to cook could spend hours there.
My wife and I both wholeheartedly recommend the Classic Home Cooking course! Enjoy!

1  Thank JRKSA
Reviewed 27 September 2011

While I was in Thailand I took classes at 2 other schools (both in Bangkok) and this was by far the best deal, only 1100BHT to make 6 things (one from each category on the website) plus transportation to/from hotel. (For 1000 BHT i made 3 set things at one school and for 2800BHT I made 3 items in a private class at another.) I also found these dishes to seem the most authentic (based on taste and preparation--they weren't simplified recipes for a western palate, but were all easy enough for me to want to try again when I get home.)
I went alone and ended up the only student in my session. I loved the one on one lesson but would have been happy with other students so I could try what they made too!
Skip breakfast as you'll be eating a feast! And if you don't finish she'll pack it up for you to take with you. Also you get a cookbook with all of her recipes for free with this class. When I return to Chiang Mai I want to go back for another session or two!

4  Thank ErinD812
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Really enjoyed learning how to make Thai food properly & it was delicious. Wunny is adorable and a really good teacher, will be back next year with friends to learn more.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My husband and I took along our 13 and 15 year old on an early evening course. They were not to thrilled. By the end of the night, they were the biggest fans of the course and couldn't wait to get home and make the dishes for friends and family!

Vanee and Meow are such excellent hosts. First, we chose our dishes from an extensive list, and since we are vegetarians, Meow, who is a vegetarian too, told us he would be working with us that evening. We could make any dish from the list we wanted, it could be adapted. Vanee took our group to the market and carefully explained each and every ingredient, showing us it, explaining what could be used instead if it could not be found back home. it was fascinating!
we were then taken back to her home, were her cooking studio is. she has an extensive herb garden, where Meow proudly showed us the herbs.
then we got to work! what i loved about this cooking class, was the personal approach, there was no demo, you got to make your own dishes, individually. you had your own mortar and pestle, your own cutting board and knife, your own personal ingredients. then you cooked everything on your own gas range in your own wok. it was amazing!

and then the best part, eating your creations! it was hard to believe you made it yourself! and getting the cookbook at the end was such a gift! with all your dishes, plus and the other ones you didn't make!

I would highly recommend Classic Home cooking School in Chiang Mai to any one of any age!

2  Thank Salsajo