“Quiet place on Moon Muang, free wi-fi, pool”
Review of Vieng Mantra Hotel

Vieng Mantra Hotel
Ranked #53 of 747 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Quiet place on Moon Muang, free wi-fi, pool”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Overall it's nice hotel. I recommend it, if it's ok for you to pay $70-80 for 1 night.

What I like:

*) It's very close to excellent "Black Canyon" restaurant

*) It's very close to Moon Muang, and same time it's very quiet place with inner yard and swimming pool.

*) Swimming pool is medium size, quite enough for relaxing, and they have the beach chairs

*) Staff is friendly and helpful, thanks.

*) Bathtub

*) Free wi-fi of good quality.

*) Rooms are of good, comfortable size - it's important. Balcony is quite big as well.

What I don't like:

*) They named this hotel as "boutique". Of course, they made some efforts in design but... if to be honest, it's absolutely not enough to regard it as "boutique".

*) They don't have chairs in the room! Instead of them - ugly benches, and it's impossible to sit on it more then 5 seconds... I put a pillow on it and it's very uncomfortable.

*) Swimming pool is closed after 10 p.m. Why?? I don't understand. In evening time, when it's not too hot, it would be nice to sit in the water, but.... it's strange and I was disappointed.

*) The windows of the rooms are strictly opposite each other, and if I look at the opposite room, I see EVERYTHING inside even in a day time. Especially if I get out to balcony... So, me and my girlfriend had to close curtains almost every time, because we like to be naked or half-naked inside room, and sometimes I have seen some curious glances from the people living in opposite rooms...
I recommend to cover windows with special film which protect the guests from the looking from outside - it's quite cheep and easy to do.

*) I'm not sure, but it seems to me that in evening time they use some spray against mosquitoes in the inner yard. It maybe good idea, but nobody let us know about it, so we one day had strong cough. If we were informed about the fact and time, we could avoid it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Vancouver
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I only stayed one night in this place. The only thing I would recommend about it is its proximity to the Sunday Walking Street. There was no elevator in the hotel and that was a problem for me as my room was up to steep flights of stairs, this after I had specifically requested (months in advance) a room on the ground floor if no elevator. It turned out there are no rooms on the ground floor, only a restaurant and a small pool, so no choice but to get up those stairs. I would have appreciated a response from them when i first booked with them, to let me know there would be stairs to climb, as i had advised them of my disability.

The decor in the room was very unattractive - very basic and I did felt I was paying too much for what I got. Did not enjoy staying there. Breakfast in the morning was totally disorganized and many mosquitoes. Breakfast was supposed to be available from 7 am onwards, but when I came down for breakfast, nothing had been set out and the staff was just sitting around talking to each other. not impressed. They also did not speak more than a couple of words in English, so almost impossible to get information from them.

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Skeezix333
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 21 February 2013

The best location with great eating all around.

Staff are all superb and very well trained by "the Boss" (the Manager who is lovely).
Delux room is all you could wish for. Breakfast was buffet and very nice. Would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I was given a warm welcome by the staff when checking at very late night, who led me and carried my luggage to my superior room at the third floor. The hotel is at a great location, near the Tha Pae Gate but in a quiet alley so away from the street noise. Free wifi at room, and good breakfast although hot items were not heated so got cold quickly. Overall, a good hotel for a one night stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We found the hotel clean, staff friendly, helpful and would go back again in the future. The location was a little far away from the night markets but still walking distance or a quick tuk tuk ride. We had no issues finding the hotels location and staff were always happy to help. Free wi-fi in the room and computer access near the pool made it easy to keep in contact back home.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We stayed in this hotel in January and found it to be a very nice place. The location is fantastic for the sunday walking market and not too far, easy walking distance to the Night markets.The street outside is also very quiet. There are some very good restaurants very close by as well. The staff were nice enough. Breakfast was a little bit of a let down but really didn't bother us. The rooms were very nice. The curtains do need to be drawn when getting dressed to add a bit more privacy, as they look directly opposite each other and can be seen into. It is a small hotel which is what I wanted when I booked so I didn't expect a huge level of international service that you might get from a larger hotel. They have a happy hour which we all made use of and the dining area was very nice, with tables just off from the street. The pool was very refreshing, sometimes a little cold but a nice relief from the heat. I would stay again. Overall a nice little place. I would like to add, that if anyone needs a guide for their stay in Chang Mai, then they should contact Mr. Pon Poonsak Takool. A wonderfully nice and knowledgable guide. 0817835068.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We had a last minute change in our flight schedule so we arrived at the hotel early in the morning. Our room was not ready but we didn't really expect to be able to check in early anyway, so we rent the bikes. By 12 pm, thanks to their effort, we were given a room satisfactory in both cleanliness and amenities.

The swimming pool is small but beautiful with ample chairs and daybeds around it. Breakfast wasn't big but was decent enough to start the day.

Location wise, Vieng Mantra is perfect if you're looking to stay in Old City area. It sits at a quiet alley, yet just 3 minutes walk away from the Sunday Night Market and the main street. You won't have problem looking for food by staying here.

The staffs were straightforward polite, but a little detached and speaks less English. I hope to get more smiles from them in future.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple