“Comfortable for a quiet beer”

Number 1 Bistro / Cafe
Ranked #478 of 2,036 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Cuisines: Bar, European, Pub, International, Thai
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Drinks, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Chiang Mai's Friendliest Bistro/Cafe,with the biggest range of Belgian Beers in the North of Thailand.
Phitsanulok, Thailand
“Comfortable for a quiet beer”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

When I'm in Chiangmai I go here for an afternoon beer. They open about 2 ish. There is a pub atmosphere with a wide selection of international beers. You can get a mug of draft beer for 55 baht. The front is open air, so you can sit at a table and watch the soi life go by. They do serve food but I've never tried it, and never gone in the night.

This is not really a girlie bar per se. In the past I was never asked to buy a girl a drink, but I was this time. It's easy to say no as they are the waitresses. My understanding is that it's the owners policy that customers not be asked to buy drinks for the staff.

ENJOY

• Visited October 2013

• Czech first
SF
“Not for me”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This bar has a strange vibe to it. They are pushy for drinks, not as much as a girlie bar would be, but more then a regular pub. It's also much more expensive then other bars in the area.

Every time I go people cluster into their own small groups and rarely mingle like they would at a regular bar. A place to go to have a drink with close friends or a date. Not good for partying or meeting people or having a fun night out, maybe good for a glass of wine.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank idreamofjinn
London, United Kingdom
“Great beer, Nice Atmosphere and Good Food”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I've always thought of Number 1 as a bar that serves food rather than a cafe/bistro, but the food is very good indeed. This is the place to go if you like Belgian beer, which is (of course) the best in the world. The prices here are a bit high, but they sell stuff that is hard to find in Thailand.

I have eaten snacks and full meals here, it's always been really good.

The staff here are very attentive and sweet.

• Visited September 2013
Houston, Texas
“Expensive, but it has beer that isn't Chang”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

And really, that's all I wanted.

Beers are pretty steep for Chiang Mai (~$5-6), but they're also made out of beer instead of formaldehyde, and I'm not sure what the going rate for that is there. In my experience, about ~$5-6.

• Visited August 2013
“Beware of Ripoffs”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

For some reason it's only occurred to me today I really ought to tell people of my experience at Number 1 Bar on Loi Kroh, Soi 1 early in 2013.

I'd been to Chiang Mai twice already and I think visited the bar once each trip. First time I was just sitting there minding my own business (my unswerving policy) and noticed I was being glared at by one or two 30-something Western doofi. I have no idea why, but there it was. The next year (at the twin bar that was across the lane then) I popped in late on my last night (was staying at the Rux three minutes walk away) with a very old pal for one last one and we were so aggressively and unpleasantly hustled by a couple of demimondaines that we chugged our beers just to get outta there.

Finally last January went in for literally a couple of beers with another pal and when the check came it was a thousand baht or something (can't remember). Politely pointing out to the creature behind the bar that there was some sort of mistake, she said we'd ordered drinks for the staff (or the house). She was sulky about it (a sign probably that Number 1 bar doesn't do this ALL the time) and my friend launched into her with his elementary but rapid-fire Thai and she backed off. Pathetic, really.

Anyway, been there three times and won't try again. I'm out and serve me right! Lotta youngish alcoholic farang there for some reason. Yuck.

• Visited January 2013