Quite away from town, Khum Phaya Resort & Spa was a lovely place to spend a relaxing time in Chiang Mai. We were welcomed with chilled fruit drink and cold towel scented with lemongrass. Very refreshing indeed!
Originally we had a booking of a Lanna Deluxe Twin room plus an extra bed (One extra bed incl. breakfast for THB1,000 per night). Upon checking-in, I found out that our room was on a second floor, not the room adjacent to the swimming pool. We were a bit disappointed. The front desk staff offered us a special rate for upgrading to the room on a ground level with a terrace access to the resort swimming pool for only THB500 per night! Who would deny for that?
The resort area is quite large so they provide an electric car (golf car) from lobby to rooms. You can call the operator for the electric car to pick you up as well. Once we got into our beautiful room, found that our twin beds were furnished with; I don’t know what’s it called, a curtain? It was quite lovely! The room was not that big, perhaps because we had the extra bed taken the space. The bathroom was huge! Big tub with Jacuzzi, shower cubicle with lovely rain shower and powerful side showers! I just love them!
Once opened the back door to the terrace, there is a stunningly beautiful swimming pool right in front of us! We spent most of the afternoon in the pool! The pool bar is right over here but there was no bar attendance perhaps because of the rainy season.
In the morning, we headed to Kham Saen restaurant for a buffet breakfast. The wait staffs were friendly and attentive. However, one morning I ordered poached egg, one staff did not know what it was, but the egg chef knows it. But as he could not cook it at the counter so he ordered it for me. I waited for too long I decided to ask for more simple egg. Then later, the egg was served. It was a sunny side-up egg which cooked in boiled water! I was surprised a resort like this don’t know how to make a poached egg, though it was ok to me. The chef who cooked eggs made me scrambled eggs with cheese so yummy that I had to ask for another one! The orange juice tasted a bit strange but other foods were fine. Huge range of breads & rolls are available at the counter.
I think beside the beautiful area of the resort, their friendly staffs are quite a strong point to please guests. Whenever we met any one of them, at any time of the day, they would stop and greet us with smiles. I noticed that not only at this resort but people all around Chiang Mai town are this nice. They are always with smiles on their face, helpful, and no attitude. Hardly any feeling like this in Bangkok, I must admit!
Anyway, since the resort is quite away from the center of Chiang Mai town, and it’s located at the back street of a Big C Extra store, so it can be difficult to get into the old town area or other tourist attractions. We found it very hard to get the red pick-up truck taxi here. Finally we got some taxi drivers’ phone numbers so whenever we need a ride, just give them a call. The taxi rate is fixed but it’s not cheap (comparing to Bangkok). The normal day time rate would be THB200 between resort and town (10-15mins), and THB300 at late night. But since there aren’t many choices so this would be the best. Besides all the taxi drivers were very friendly and quite considerate. If one cannot pick us up, they would recommend someone else and keep ringing whether we were properly taken care of. That was very nice of them.
As mentioned earlier, the resort is right behind Big C Extra, a super store chain transformed from Carrefour, and also only few minutes walk to a 7-Eleven, so it is quite convenient to get something if needed. I heard that every Thursday (or Friday I’m not sure), the street in front of the resort would be transformed into a walking street like a market. That should be interesting, but please check the day again.
If you come to Chiang Mai for relaxing but don’t want to be right in town and don’t want to be far away from town, Khum Phaya Resort would be one of the best places to stay a few relaxing days. I would definitely recommend the resort to anyone, and it would absolutely be lovely if we have a chance to stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chiang Mai was the centre of the Lanna kingdom, and with interiors fitted out in natural fabrics and teak, roofs made from 80-year-old teak beams, and intricate carvings that show the touch of a true craftsman, the design of this atmospheric and tranquil resort reflects the kingdom’s heritage. Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection has 85 spacious rooms and villas, with the option of direct pool access or your own plunge pool, and each with a Jacuzzi thus adding a holistic touch to your Chiang Mai holiday. Outside of your private world, you’ll also find wellbeing facilities including a Spa Cenvaree and fitness centre, superb grounds and a lagoon-shaped swimming pool surrounded by century-old trees and meandering canals. And your relaxing or cultural holiday will begin almost from the minute you arrive in Chiang Mai, as the resort is a mere 20-minute drive from Chiang Mai International Airport and 10 minutes away from the old town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Fastbooking, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Travelbag, TravelUp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Khum Phaya Resort And Spa Centara Boutique Collection
- Khum Phaya Resort & Spa Centara Boutique Collection Hotel Chiang Mai