Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection
Ranked #23 of 384 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“A great place ”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

It is a great place to the family lovely hotel my family liked it and would like to come back next time. The one thing that all family members agreed with that every body have a smile in his face. It have it's unique way of welcoming all kind of customers. However children liked the swimming pool as it's safe for them. We like to come back

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Mohammed A
KPCChiangMai, General Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Mohammed.A,

Thank you so much for taking your precious time putting up a very positive post in Tripadvisor. We are very happy to learn that you and your entire family had a wonderful time with us.

Glad to hear too that you will be coming back again. We are so delighted to have you back here.

Please do not forget to contact us in advance should you need further assistance in the near future.

Jerome Sim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for four nights in July 2014. We had a room with an upstairs balcony facing the pool. The room was clean, spacious and the jacuzzi bath and shower (staff replaced baths salts and shower gels etc. each day) were such a treat.

As other people have said the hotel and gardens are lovely. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. We ate in and had breakfast in the restaurant and the food was spot on.

I really suffer from getting bitten by insects but the hotel had a mosquito net around the bed, the resort smelt of the lovely lemony smell of insect repellant and they fumigated the resort during my stay. Therefore, I got half as many bites as I was expecting!

During our stay there was a large building being constructed across the road from the hotel, we could see the works being completed as we left our room. The work started at 7am in the morning. This wasn't too much of a problem as I am a heavy sleeper but could have been disruptive to some - nothing that could have been helped.

I also had a massage at the hotel during my stay. This was a treat as it was far more pricey than the 200 baht massages available in Chiangmai Mai but worth every penny as it was a beautiful spa to have the treatment in and the staff were great.

The main reason that I gave the hotel a 4/5 is the location. It is too far to walk into Central Chiang Mai, the hotel taxi is 300 baht to get there and tuktuks, although we found one on the one occasion that we needed one, are few and far between. However, the hotel does run a shuttle bus in the morning afternoon and evening. Just make sure you book in advance (I think that said 4 hours before) to avoid being disappointed and stuck without very much to do (apart from lazing by the pool).

Another point, aside from the hotel I would like to add... If you are hoping to visit the elephant sanctuary during your stay, book well in advance to avoid the disappointment we had.

We enjoyed our stay. Organise your time and the location is not a problem.

1 Thank Leigh H
KPCChiangMai, General Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Leigh H,

Thanks for your recent posting and we are all very happy to hear that you have had a wonderful time here ; albeit there were mosquitoes and construction noise outside the hotel which did not deter your stay.

I will definitely share your experience with all my associates and they will be so happy to hear that they have managed to make another guest happy. Such compliment will definitely boost up their morale.

Thanking you and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Fantastic pool access room It is a restful place to swim around the beautiful pool. its my best experience to live in such a beauty resort and kind staff nice food great location pretty love this place. But the breakfast was not many choices. The room itself was very big and clean. The shower in the room was very good with jets in the side and quite large, a lot of fun. Jacuzzi was great before bed. It was very clean and good standard. Everything worked and room service was great each day.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank nongnote
KPCChiangMai, General Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Nongnote,

Many thanks for your comment recently and we do appreciated the time taken for you to provide us your feedback.

We are very happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay very much and for the breakfast items we will review and see what items we can add in the the near future.

Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Quite simply the most beautiful Hotel I've stayed in (ahead of The Dorchester & The Savoy in London, The Mandarin Oriental Bangkok and Raffles).

The rooms and public areas are charming, the layout is one big tropical garden and the muzac has redefined the genre for me forever. Did I mention the pool (with swim up bar)??? Gorgeous!

The staff were very professional. The proximity to Big C was handy but this property is all about romance. A sublime paradise far from the maddening crowd!

1 Thank Rob H
KPCChiangMai, General Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Rob H,

Thanks for your great compliment! I am so happy you have had enjoyed your stay with us and what else, you are flattering us and even compared us with The Dorchester and Savoy in London. I love those hotels and I found their services are above excellent and you were so happy to compare us with them. What else? Raffles and Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok...Thanks.

I will relate this to all my staff.

Thanks again and hope to see you in future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had a lovely time at Khum Phaya on our honeymoon! We really enjoyed the gorgeous landscaping around our hotel and the pool is so unique.

Location:
We were a bit skeptical of the hotel to start with because it is quite a ways out of Chiang Mai. It seemed to be a downside at first but it wasn't actually a big deal as all of the tours were happy to pick up from the hotel and you were always last picked up and first dropped off, which was very convenient for time in the car. The hotel is tucked into a little neighborhood of shops with a 7Eleven accessible as well as several other local restaurants so you don't feel too isolated.

Hotel Grounds:
The hotel is beautifully upkept, especially on the outside with gorgeous Thai architecture, a beautiful pool that you can step into just out of your hotel room (a major bonus in the humid summer months), and really nice landscaping to make it feel a bit jungle-like.

Rooms:
The rooms were just OK. They could use a bit of love though as the bathrooms felt a bit outdated and the shower had a bit of a smell to it. They were kept fairly clean but the just feel like they need a bit of an update.

Staff:
The staff was accommodating but they weren't quite as friendly as other Thai hotels we have stayed at. We may have just been spoiled by other lovely hotels we have stayed at in Thailand.

Spa:
The spa is incredible! It is just gorgeously landscaped. We attended a great 3 1/2 hour honeymooner package that included a strawberry scrub, mud wrap, facial, and 60 minute oil massage. It was just fantastic.

Noise:
My main complaint of the hotel was the noise at night. We could hear our neighbors sitting outside by the pool til all hours of the night, making a lot of noise playing games. There is also a loud bar or something nearby that played loud music til well past 1AM. Also, the pool is supposed to close at 7PM but nearly everyone breaks this rule (including ourselves). This is fine if the people are quiet but many people weren't as courteous as we would have liked.

Food:
The breakfast was very well provided for with a LOT of options and endless supply of food. I can only wish that they improved their coffee! Dinner at the hotel was good as well but it is much cheaper and more authentic to go out somewhere in the local neighborhood.

We attended the Khanthoke dinner next door which the hotel give you a discount to. This was really cool to see the live dancing and performances that told a story of Thai history. I highly recommend it!

Overall a good stay! Thank you!

Room Tip: Get a room on the bottom floor so that you have direct pool access!
2 Thank KansasKayla
KPCChiangMai, General Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear KansasKayla,

Thank you so much for your lenghty comments recently. We do really appreciated that.

Your comments will be definitely help us to improve our services to our guests. I am sure our associates will be very happy to hear the good comments from you.

I have printed out a copy and posted to the staff notice board.

Hoping to have you back here soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here last week of Jun 2014. Property is beautiful, pool is massive, however lots of mosquitos!
Rooms nice however not 5 star quality in my opinion. Breakfast was decent
Beds - hard as a rock, literally. Spoke to staff after first night and asked for something to put on top - which they did do.
Stayed for 3 nights and every night had to put up with loud crappy music right outside our door. Complained and was told that it was outside the hotel and not much they could do - it would stop at 1am.. It stopped at 4am - very disappointing considering a resort is somewhere to relax and sleep well!!! Staff were very disinterested in helping for anything really.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sdeakin
Dear sdeakin,

First and foremost our apology for not been able to make your stay as comfortable as you expected.

The music outside the hotel - has been scrutinized by not us but by other residential areas and we have already reported to the municipality and action is now been taken. The zoning law allows the entertainment spot to play till midnight however the pub has been told to control the level of noise. Thanks for your comment as we will also use this as a confirmation to strengthen our petition to the authority.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was on my Honeymoon to Thailand from the 15 of June till the 27. I stayed for 2 nights in Khum Phaya Resort. At my arrival i couldn't but admire the beauty of the place, it is a wonderful hotel with waterfalls and lovely decorations, but after that the shocking experience started. The room is at the end of the hotel (5-7 minutes walking), once inside, even though my booking clearly stated "Honeymooners" we found ourselves in a room with 2 single beds. When checking with the reception, she said that the hotel has a limited amount of double size beds and none are available (Funny enough I never saw more than 7 people on breakfast so unless they have 1.....) so they end up joining the 2 single beds. No package was offered for honeymooners (All other hotels we stayed in offered champagne or wine with cake). Then the first breakfast was horrible, no variety at all, and we end up eating bread. Cappuccino and cafe latte are a premium drink on breakfast, and the food is full of mosquitos. Either they are not covered, or the one covered have a broker net, so mosquitos can still come in. As for the room, the net that also protect mosquitos from going in was broker so we found a Lizard inside the room that night and plenty of mosquitos bite all night long. I had to change the key for the door 3 times, as their current key system is very sensitive to cell phones, so if you put your keys close to your cell, you will have to walk like 5-7 minutes back to the reception to get a replacement one, as they don’t have any one around your room or a phone outside that you can contact them. In addition to that, the cleanliness is horrible; the bathroom light is full of insects that you can see moving. In the end, we took the laundry bag to put in the laundry, which is what we did on 3 other hotels in Thailand, but they decided to charge for it!

I am really sorry that such a Hotel has such a terrible service. it is a real beauty but the whole system does not work properly there.

I will add some pictures in other comments for the food and the broker net and the mosquitos in the bathroom as I don’t have them on me now.

Room Tip: Avoid it to avoid disappointment.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Charbs8
Dear Charbbs8,

First of all our apology for not making your stay as comfortable.

Your comments will be taken seriously. However our breakfast has been praised by many people on the range of choices and not restricted to limited items.

As for you honeymoon offers: I have double checked your booking indicated you are honeymooner and requested K bed, however hotel has mentioned will do our best to accommodate guest request upon availability. During your stay your all the lead in category that you booked in has been taken. However upgrading on case by case basis not available due to all next category was full. Our resort do provide sparkling wine to honeymooners but this is only with some suppliers we contracted with. For guests who make the reservation by themselves does not mean they get all these amenities automatically.

Sorry about the mosquitoes as our hotel is built within the vast landscaped garden. However we do fumigate our resort once a week. We provide mosquitoes netting in the rooms and all our nets are checked regularly. There is not broken net to be used for our guests.

Our laundry bag is made of fabric and this item is chargeable to all our guests if taken and it is written very clearly in our directory.

Thanking you for bring up your comment. Will share will all respective departments.