“Jungle Paradise in the City”

Shewe Wana Suite Resort
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Fabulous quirky (in the good sense) hotel. It was just a lovely jewel of a place.

Pros:
Nice, large, clean room on second floor
On-premises cafe and restaurant with reasonably priced food made to western tastes
Good service
Can book day trip at the front desk
Interesting location, just a few minutes' walk or a short tuk tuk ride to the city
Very reasonable price

Cons:
Not exactly central to the city, but the location is very interesting and really not too far away.

The hotel appears to be located in the midst of a small commercial area with motor repair shops lining the street leading to the town. It was very interesting to walk by these places, because it wasn't the usual tourist sight -- it was real life in Chiang Mai. At night, the shops close and sidewalk restaurants spring up all over the place. These restaurants are for the locals, and it was really interesting to see them.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 February 2014

1st the outlook of the hotel will let you think this is just a so so hotel,because you can't really see anything from the outside...but once you step inside the compound you will be amazed by its beauty!!
Friendly and helpful staff will greet you and instantly you feel home away from home..follow by the long path to our suite...50m from the reception, which feels like you are in a small jungle full of orchids and greenery.Quiet surrounding make you really forgot you are in the Chiang Mai city!!Room/suite is huge...definitely 1 of the best!!

Room Tip: For honeymooners...get the last row of the room and 3rd floor...no 1 will walk pass that!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Well located and nicely decorated spot , although if you don't go for the big suite they'll place you in a kind of "guest house" room which is not that quiet having the road aside, without a proper wardrobe and not much place too move. Staff really nice and helpful but is missing some features. It was an honest experience price wise but definitely not the place you want to go if you are smoker.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have travelled around the world and stayed at many hotels and resorts. Shewe Wana is the best resort I have stayed at. When I arrived, I was greeted by a crew of smiling faces at the front desk who informed me that I was upgraded from a one to a two bedroom suite at no charge. The suite was beautiful and had a special Thai flair that made me feel right at home. I besieged the girls at the front desk with questions and requests every day and they were always happy to help me. The resort is a little out of the way from the city center but a free shuttle runs every hour to bring guests to the night bazaar. They will also pick you up at the airport free of charge. The owner, Joy, made a special point of seeking me out to make sure I was happy with the accommodations. Breakfast was included every morning and could be made to order along with a light buffet that was available. One day I asked for a few sandwiches for my son to be packed up because we were going on a tour and I didn't think he would like the lunch food offered on the tour. The sandwiches were promptly made at no charge. I have never experienced such a high level of service at any other resort I have stayed at. I would also like to send a special note of thanks to Rose, Pink, Sweet and Vickie for being so kind. Together you made our stay in Chiang Mai wonderful!! Sincerely, Noreen

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My partner booked this hotel for me in secret, and I had no idea what I was walking into, and have to say it has been so pleasant and charming from start to finish.

The room we were given is quaint and perfect for a couple, I can't find fault with it even if I try. The soaps are all earth natural, the air con and sheets and pillows are all of a very high standard. The breakfast is hearty and well presented, and has a great selection suitable to everyone's taste.
We met the owner joy who is very welcoming and all the staff especially the receptionist Pink, have been genuinely friendly and extremely helpful with all our queries.

The highlight of our 3 day stay here, which is sadly over tomorrow, was our day out at the Elephant Nature Park (ENP). We were so impressed with the ethical treatment of the elephants and rescue dog sanctuary, we have not stopped thinking about the great work they are doing for elephants that have suffered or been mistreated. I would thoroughly recommend this place to anyone who wants to avoid seeing any maltreatment or riding of Thai elephants, and just see them in their natural surroundings.

My partner and I travel around Asia all the time, and we feel we have found a little tropical resort home away from home in the middle of the city of chiang mai.

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs on the second floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Loved the large one bedroom. We were there for the most busy weekend, Yi Peng fastival. The whole place was booked but they still upgraded us from one bedroom to family suite at the third floor, because I was afraid of Mosquitos, based on the reviews, and requested it to have up stairs. The whole weekend only got bit when I was laying by the pool. The room was very clean. Huge private terrace was a big plus! Great complimentary breakfast.
About 10 to 15 minutes walk to the night bazaar. 10 minutes walk to the river which is where every one releasing the floating lanterns.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vincewang
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This hotel is located 10 minutes walk from the center of the city of Chiang Mai, first time in my life that I have a room of 110 m2 !
Only 18 rooms, very personal service, excellent breakfast and very helpful people, extremely clean, good swimmingpool

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple