Sakorn Residence & Hotel
US$209
US$170
Hotels.com
Bodhi Serene Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$156
US$491
Travelocity
US$55
US$44
Rainforest Boutique(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
US$34
US$33
Agoda.com
All reviewstuk tukping riverminute walkold citynight marketquiet areariverside barsmall gymrooms are largeswimming poolnice poolrestaurants and barswalk in showerstayed here for nightshotel is locatedclean hotelfive nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We spent 7 nights at Sakorn Residence and we definitively recommend it to everybody.
It is out from the night market area but close enought to arrive there walking 10-15 minutes or by tuktuk for a few baths. Closed to the hotel, in the riverside, are a lot of nice restaurants and bars to have dinner, just 2 minutes walking.
The hotel is beautiful from outside, with a nice garden and a cute swimmingpool. The people working there are really nice and helpful. We had a problem during our stay in Chiang Mai as I broke my left arm and they helped us a lot.
The rooms are really big and confortable (we staied at 3 different rooms so we compared them :) ), specially the suite room, which is amazing!!
The breakfast is served in the terrace near the pool, with a lot of different options.
There is also a coffe bar in the garden with a delicious coffe and cakes!!
If we come back to Chiang Mai we will repeat in the Sakorn residence!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are big and confortable!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank itziiii
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Stayed here before and was impressed again by the quality of the accommodatonb and the service.
Staff very good, rooms a great size and always ample hot water.
Breakfast sometimes can be a bit samey! You notce this if you stay for more than a few days?
Pool small - but have always managed to get a sunbed!
Locaton is the best in Chiang Mai in my opinon. Just off the Riverside were there are good restaurants to be found. Worarot Market is a 10 minute walk away and the Night Bazaar 15 minute walk or 5 in a tuk tuk.
There is a great little massage place across the road and a the best Indian food is just next door!
Construction noise was minimal and certanly didn't spoil my holiday.
On last day the staff delivered our enormous amount of collective luggage to the airport for no charge - thats what I call good service!

Room Tip: I have had rooms at the fron and back and in terms of quality there is no difference
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2011

The main trigger for me to write a review are two other reviews I see here.

in reply to construction noise:
We stayed here 6 days in November and we were not bothered by the construction noises. Yes there was a construction site near but we never heard any sound in our room (which was close to the construction site). We could hear the construction noises when we were at breakfast or at the pool and yes this may be less 'relaxing'. This would have bothered me if this was a spa/beach resort, but as it is a city hotel, it didnt bother me at all.

in reply to hidden service charges:
This older review scared me a bit. During our stay we had the room cleaned every day, used the internet PC, asked staff to call taxi's, asked staff for advice, etc. etc. When we recieved our bill we only paid what we booked (through booking.com) and not one cent more. So no (hidden) chardges whatsoever in our case.

I think everything else has alrady been said: very good value, big rooms, free internet pc and wifi, friendly staff, etc. The location could be better but this didnt bother us. There are very nice restaurants very close (walking distance) and its safe to walk at night. Besides this there are tuk tuks everywhere to take a cheap ride back to the hotel.

If i had to name one point of improvement it would be the breakfast. It was fine really, but just a bit more variety would be nice. The solution is to as the staff for directions to 'bake&bites' where you can have a very good breakfast!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marijnn
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Based on TripAdvisor's review of this hotel, I booked it and was immediately smitten with its 'boutique' feel, great cleanliness and calmness. It is "new" in feeling with a tiny and modern gym attached to it.

Those constitute the positives.

The negative is that the hotel employee that took my reservation (Khun Apple) didn't tell me that not 20m away was a construction site for a competing hotel. As my trip to Chiang Mai was for R & R, hearing from 8AM-5PM the cutting of floor tile and concrete -- well, that wasn't relaxing to me.

I took this up with the owner's daughter who said the competing hotel was behind on its construction schedule and hoped to be finished by mid-December. I would STRONGLY SUGGEST that if you plan to stay at this otherwise fine hotel, you get an honest answer as to when the construction actually finishes.

The only other negative (small in my book) is that the hotel isn't located in the center of Chiang Mai and is on the other side of the river. Had it not been for not informing me about the construction noise, I'd rate this negative lightly.

Room Tip: Stay away from the construction site and pin down with the management when that construction actually finishes.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank James R
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Every winter I come to lovely Chiang Mai for three months. Two years ago I toured Sakorn Residence immediately after it opened and decided to book it for the following year, which was 2010-2011. I could not have been more pleased, as you can see if you read the review I wrote last year. And before I departed in January 2011, I booked it again for this trip: 2011-2012.

The moment the taxi dropped me off, I felt like I had returned home. Everyone knew my name, everyone greeted me with warm, sincere smiles. And the apartment I have this year is spectacular.

This is a terrific and quiet neighborhood: So close to everywhere you want to go, yet just away from the hustle-bustle of noisiest areas of Chiang Mai. From the photos you can see how residential this area is. You'd never know you are a five minute walk from so many attractions. In fact, right next door a new, very high-end boutique hotel is just about to open; certainly those owners would never consider building in a noisy or unsafe or inconvenient neighborhood. (And the little bit of construction noise that was heard last year during the day has diminished greatly; I'm sure no one would be bothered by it. Besides, by the time you read this review probably that boutique hotel will have opened its doors.)

In addition to what you've already read in the other reviews about the rooms, the pool, the restaurant and coffee shop, I want to praise the service and the staff as highly as possible. I can't imagine any other property going to the lengths they do at Sakorn Residence to make sure that everything is perfect for each guest.

For example, when I took my first shower I noticed that the water was warm but not as hot as it was in the room I occupied last year. I mentioned this to the staff and then went out to the local supermarket. By the time I returned, they had actually replaced the hot water heater completely! I was so surprised not only by the replacement but by the speed and efficiency and supportive comments from all involved.

Every guest I've met here has only positive comments to make regarding the facilities, the maintenance, the decor, the location, and most of all, the superb staff.

I read one reviewer's complaint about feeling ripped off by prices added on at check-out. I truly doubt the veracity of that comment because at check-in, everything is explained in the greatest detail. For example, I'm paying a monthly rate, not a daily rate. Guests on the monthly plans pay much less per day than daily guests. Therefore, just like every apartment in most countries, monthly guests are also charged a nominal amount per unit of water and per unit of electricity used. The guests are shown the location of the meters and can even monitor their own usage, if they so desire. Monthly guests also have the opportunity to have maid service several times per week for a very small fee.

Of course daily guests are not charged separately for water, electricity, maid service or breakfast. Everything is included in their daily rate as in most other hotels.

To me, this arrangement is completely reasonable. Daily guests get the whole package, but monthly guests can choose whether they want maid service, breakfast, etc. All of this information is clearly stated on Sakorn Residence's website. Therefore, no surprises at check-out.

Feel free to contact me through TripAdvisor if you have any questions about what I've written.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo