“wonderful stay”

Sakorn Residence & Hotel
Ranked #52 of 394 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We stayed at the Sakorn Residence for 9 nights, 6 planned and 3 extra due to the floods in Bangkok and a change of plan. The staff were very helpful and welcoming and the accomodation spacious and extremely clean. Breakfast was good to say that the price was so reasonable although the choice was limited. The pool was very clean and sheltered and the hotel is within easy walking distance of the river and restaurants. Wouldn't advise walking too far due to the heat and lack of pavements. Also crossing the road in Chiang Mai can be quite an experience! We were there for Loi Krantong which was a wonderful, the sky filled with lanterns and the everyone embracing the party spirit. A very enjoyable stay, I would certainly recommend Sakorn Residence to anyone visiting this enchanting city.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the building face onto a large screen covered in greenery. If you like a view a...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank tatiew

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed at the Sakorn Residence for 5 nights. As previous review mentioned, it is a nice 4 or 5 storey hotel, away from the main street, yet you can be there within 5 minutes. Hotel is very nice with friendly and helpful front staff. There is free wifi throughout and a computer desk by the main entrance, for guests to use at no charge. They also have a small book and dvd library where you can 'take one leave one' book. I found this very good since I did not want to bring too many books in my luggage and was running out of books to read. So, I took 2 and left 3! Very useful.
The room are very spacious. Huge king size bed that some might find a bit hard, but we loved it. The bathroom was very nice and huge walk in shower with lots of pressure. There was a small fridge with mini-bar stocked with beer/pop/water/juices at very low price. However, we simply put them aside and bought our own stuff without any problem from staff. We were provided 2 free water bottle every day. The pool was very nice but on the small side and the water a bit cold...but given that it was so hot, it actually felt refreshing. The only downside is that there are not a lot of pool chairs, so by Noon, there are none left to use. A bit of a bummer, but I guess this is not something that can be changed. We had breakfast included in the room and had a choice amongst 6 selections - which I thought were good. The only thing that was not the best was the coffee as it was just instant coffee.
The staff were really good at cleaning the room but for some reasons, never left any additional soap/shampoo even when we ran out. The room has a balcony, but I felt it was very small and not the type of balcony where I would sit and sip a glass of wine - more like a balcony to have a cigarette since most people I saw on their balcony were smoker.
There are many restaurant and coffee shop close by and even a laundry service within few minutes where we dropped our clothes and at 5 Bhat per item, got our laundry done within 24 hours. Along the main street, there many restaurant that are along the river with patio and tables set on the river side. At night it is all lighted and beautiful, but do wear bugs spray! The night bazaar is just 15 minutes away and a closer by daytime bazaar is just across the river. Both were nice and very entertaining with cheap food and lots of tourists stuff. There is a pharmacy in the daytime bazaar that for a very small fee, the pharmacist who speaks english, will sit with you and review your health; making you pull your tongue, take your pulse, check your eyes and unless you have a specific illness to mention, will suggest a health tea to assist with your health. It is very nominal fee and I would have done so, except that I needed 5 days notice for them to make the tea for me, as most Thai people will simply buy the recommended herbs and brew their tea at home. So, I ended up not having it made, but if I return I would do so.
We did a lot of activity in Chiang Mai (elephant camp, tiger kingdom, bike tour, shopping, temple) and will do a separate post in Chiang Mai forum for those interested in more details.

As for the hotel, given the very low price, nice amenities, cleanliness and staff being so helpful and nice all the time, I would highly recommend it. There are also a gym on site with treadmill, eleptical and some weights, but I did not use it.

A tip: if you can, request a room up front as the back room gives view on a wall of green - nice but lots of mosquitos.

Room Tip: If you can, request a room in the front (view of the pool) as the back room gives you on a ''...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pounette166
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I really enjoyed my three-night stay here at Sakorn Residence. It is in a quiet neighborhood a bit outside of the city, but only about a 10 minute walk. A lovely Indian Restaurant, Hinlay Curry House is literally right next door to the hotel with delicious food.

The rooms are very large with very nice bathrooms, great water pressure and wonderful hot water. My room has a shower and a separate bath tub. Lovely!

The linens and towels smell wonderful and everything is very very clean.

The rooms include a large TV and DVD player. Also, there is a safe in each room . . . although it is very very small and is not bolted down. I could literally pick it up and put it right into my duffle bag.

There is a fairly large refrigerator in each room and coffee/tea service. I bought some food at the grocery shop and when I arrived back at the hotel, they delivered plates, bowls and cutlery to my room.

Also, I needed an iron and ironing board, which they promptly delivered as well.

The air conditioner worked really well and was extremely quiet. Also, the balcony was very nice.

There was a nice swimming pool, but I didn't enjoy it myself.

There is an elevator.

Room Tip: Definitely eat at Hinlay Curry House next door.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Carla A
Reviewed 6 February 2012

The room is perfect as very spacious and clean. Even the location is near Night Bazaar, Bars and Clubs the hotel keeps very quite and nice place for rest.
The staff also run great service and nice pool. Front staff was kind and nice for answering our stupid questions and offered us a good map for our first time in Chiangmai.
The location is near Wororot Market and Night Bazaar, get to the Riverside Bar where is the opp side of the river towards Wororot and you may find it near.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2012

As my first time at Sakorn Residence, I was enchanted about this modern and efficient hotel with considerate staffs that provide every informations and help you need for your pleasant stay. Located in a quiet residencial area it is quite near Night Market and Wororot Market. Managed by a very polite and friendly family, I`d like to recomend this nice hotel to everyone that want peace and fun at the same time!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better as you can have a good view of your neighbourwood.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed in the Sakorn Residence for 3 nites and found the room very comfortable and clean. It is a newer building, and the beds were terrific, very comfortable. We had free wifi on the room, and breakfast was included, a kind of set menu. Basic north american breakfasts.
Front office staff was helpful and friendly. Pool was nice and clean and well maintained, as were the gardens.
Only a short 10 minute walk to the busy part of Chiang Mai around the Kalare night bazaar , where good food , drink and many trinkets can be found. Live nightly shows were free and we enjoyed them alot.
Price was very reasonable at about 1300 baht per nite, but i believe may go up in high season. Management does give a much better deal if you stay more than 2 nites.
Overall i was very happy with Sakorn Residence and would stay again, loved Chiang Mai.
The zoo and aquarium were awesome.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mouserman
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The room is just perfect!Large cleen oll confort,nice swimmingpool,good breakfast witg gentle service....But the 2 woman in the desk that should give information and wellcomme are very akind laud voice agressive...they sould not do this job!And still I have to undestand way they wok me up at midnight!No apologise of course!

Room Tip: On the swimmingpooll very good
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo