“Big Rooms”

Sakorn Residence & Hotel
Ranked #48 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The hotel is good. Simple, but clean. The room have air conditioner, TV, minibar, hair dryer. The staff are nice and polite. The breakfast included it´s simple, but delicious. And you can arrange all your tours at the reception. The only problem for me and my friends was the location. A little bit far from the downtown.

Room Tip: Good rooms, but a little bit far from the downtown.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I've been meaning to do this review since getting back last June (2013) but it's not until planning my next holiday that I've remembered just how useful reviews are. My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights last June in a twin room. First thing I must say is how clean the room was and how comfortable the beds were, we also took full advantage of their well stocked fridge as soon as we arrived (Chang beer is yum!) which was very reasonably priced. The hotel was in easy walking distance from the river which had some great bars and restaurants and the town was only a bit further on. Tuktuk were nice and cheap to get around but with decent enough shoes (the pavements aren't great in chaing Mai!) it's definitely walkable to explore the whole town. The pool was lovely and very refreshing and breakfast had plenty of options. The main thing that impressed us about sakorn were how helpful the staff were, we looked at several cooking courses to do whilst there and they advised us which their guests had found best giving us the choices depending on what we wanted (so not on commission). The course we went on was brilliant (baan Thai - I've even made some of the dishes at home) so they really did help us out. The thing we were most impressed with though was on our last day; we packed up our stuff and left the room and hotel without my issues, got to the airport, checked in our luggage,then found a cheap place that did amazing foot massages. My friend realised she had left her dresses hanging in the wardrobe, the ladies in the massage parlour contacted the hotel to let them know and see if they had found them, they checked and they were still there. The guy on the desk, whose name I have now forgotten (I feel bad for that) then drove in his Tuktuk to meet us at the airport, 25 minutes later he pulled up with her dresses in a plastic bag and tried to give us change when we gave him money for the journey and his troubles. I doubt I will ever be so impressed by service ever again. They were always friendly, always smiling and they truly went out of their way for us. I would wholeheartedly recommend Sakorn to anyone wanting to stay in Chiang Mai.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Our room was nice & big with a king sized bed & a balcony overlooking the pool. It was very clean & comfortable & had free wifi. It was a 20 minute walk to the Old City along a very busy road with no sidewalks, but it was on a nice quiet side street away from the hustle & bustle. The staff was very helpful, calling the airport for us to help us get our lost luggage and making recommendations and arranging transportation for our sightseeing excursions. They even kept our luggage for us when we went on an overnight stay to Elephant Nature Park. We really enjoyed our stay in Chiangmai

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Good value, comfortable room, reasonable breakfast. Couple of nice restaurants about a ten minute walk from the hotel, night market 20 minutes walk on the other side of the river. Chiang Mai is worth visiting if you want to see the elephants and tiger kingdom, check which is the best before you go, as some of these can look a bit cruel. The hotel had a pool too, which was nice, but a bit too cold to use in January .

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The rooms were well-cleaned every day and the bed linnen was changed frequently (once every two days). Additionally, the cleaning staff are very professional and handled our property with great care.
The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful in assisting your sightseeing or arranging for tuk tuk transportation (which is usually driven by one of the staff members, they're very multitalented).
One downside is that the breakfast is only so-so, except if there is a Thai option to choose for the day, which is then strongly recommended.
Lastly, the gym is not very impressive, with only five or six machines to choose from, and all focused on cardio. Just something to keep in mind when choosing this hotel partly based on this criterion.
Overall, it's great value for your money.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This is our 8th stay in Chiang Mai, so we have a little bit experience with Chiang Mai hotels. We booked a superior room for 3 nights at booking.com for 1400bt/night including breakfast. This 4 years old and 50-rooms hotel is located 150m east of the Ping river in a quiet side street. The 4-storey hotel has been built behind the garden and the pool. Free onsite parking. Next door is the famous 137 Pillars House hotel. Warorot market only 500m, night market 1km walking. Monthly rates available.
Our spacious room (7,5x4,0 = 30m², including bathroom) was clean and nicely decorated. Quiet at night. Good and silent airco, TV (BBC world), fridge. Bathroom good and clean, walk-in shower, no bath. Complimentary : free Wifi. Waterlkettle but no free coffee/thee. Good and clean bed, crispy sheets. All rooms have a separate balcony or patio with 2 chairs and table, rooms at frontside looking out on the central pool, rooms at backside looking out on a green wall.
Clean swimming pool (12 x 6m), 6 deckchairs with cushions. Motorbikes can be rented onsite 200-250bt/day.
Good but rather simple breakfast, no buffet ... no problem for us after 20 buffet breakfasts and 10 other to go. Outside restaurant.

Conclussion : this is a good, clean and affordable 3-star hotel. RECOMMENDED.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ludovicvn
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The room:
Like the rest of the hotel it seems to be very dated and down right filthy. There's several flies and cobwebs around my room. Guess it adds to the decor.

Location:
The location is alright but it's terrible if you plan on walking around at night. It seems to be very dark, quiet and surrounded by alleyways.

Service:
It's alright I guess but the people here don't seem to be very friendly or particularly helpful.

Oh yeah, the safe is also broken. In any case it's just a box with a code on it but it weighs nothing so you can pick it up and bring it with you. Very secure.

Overall feeling is that I feel like I have been mislead by all the positive reviews of this place. It's disgusting and not worth the $40 I paid.

• Stayed: February 2014