“Excellent value for the price”

Sakorn Residence & Hotel
Ranked #47 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“Excellent value for the price”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Pros:

-Staff were VERY helpful at all times, including when it came to booking day excursions
-Rooms were very clean, with plenty of clean towels
-Quiet, relaxed, peaceful

Cons:

-Location is a long walk from the Old City. Tuktuks are everywhere, but the price adds up quickly
-No real restaurant at the hotel. They have good breakfast in the mornings, but that's it
-The pool water was too hot. Not nearly as cold as it should have been considering the hot temperatures outside.

Overall, the pros heavily outweigh the cons! Great place to stay for quietness and cleanliness!

1 Thank Derek N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is my first visit at Chiang Mai. Love this hotel. Room is big, swimming pool is nice, staffs are great! They do very good on cleaning the rooms I guess, sometimes I didn't know if I close the window as the window is too clean that you almost didn't know you have already close the windows. lol. Price is unbeatable with this services and rooms.

Will definitely stay again if I go to Chiang Mai.

P.S. Must try the local restaurant a bit opposite to hotel. We tried garlic pork rice and Tom Yam, with 100 bhat only and it is very tasty!

Not too close to Night bazaar but after a big dinner, it is good to walk a bit to hotel. We walk from night bazaar to hotel around 20 mins, a bit hot but I can see it as an exercise. And I can take a very nice shower before I slept.

Room Tip: I only reserve the basic one but it is already good enough.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maya603
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Very patient helpful staff- helped set up day trips!
Everything is immaculately clean.
Breakfast is big with many options (western and thai)
Great pool.
Good location - only a 60bht ride to lost places (temples and markets).
Rooms are 5 star. A/C, great showers and beds. Tv (and DVD player) and even a mini fridge!
Quiet location.
Offer towels, shampoo, shower caps, soap, q-tips, 2 bottles of water a day.
Good rates.
If you are looking for a social place this is not it. I met friends at Deejays hostel for that.

1 Thank Alysha K
gold coast
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Was uncertain when booked hotel direct , very efficient answering service . But when I enquired about soft bed , said no firm , no pillow top mattress available either . I need not have worried , bed was comfortable . Room 3 rd floor pool view , from balcony . Was large , cleaners were excellent , staff every where very friendly and helpful . Breakfast was order off set menu , was excellent . It came with mixed fruits , orange juice . Make your own coffee and tea , cold water all good . Aircon was very good , plenty of choice on tv channels , lovely pool . Bit out of main old town . But 10/15 min walk , down road which has many interesting shops and good restaurants . Used tuk tuk twice , only time we got stitched up . Don't trust what they say , they will lie just to get you to go with them ( please note not ones inside hotel ) the ones we used were outside hotel . Arranged price for whole day , go to waterfalls plus wherever we wanted for the day. Then decided at 1 pm , just 3 hours later trip was over , wanted paying in full . Leaving us stranded other side of town. Refused said return us to hotel, as he wanted to call police. He did we explained his actions to our staff . He amazingly remembered he could speak English as we tried to explain his actions . Paid him in the end , less than he demanded , but still too much in my opinion . Be warned as left a bad feeling . Everyone else in Chiang mai were fantastic .

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Sakorn for 3 nights during the low season. The hotel was very clean and had a very friendly front desk staff. Breakfast was included, and we enjoyed all three breakfasts. The hotel is about a 15-20 minute walk to the old city. Most days we would walk to the market and the. Take a tuk tuk back to the hotel for 70-100 baht. It was extremely hot in Chiang Mai while we were there. The A/C worked perfectly in our room. We slept comfortably every night. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an inexpensive, quiet, and clean place to stay! Great wifi service too.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The hotel is about 15 min walk to the night markets(center of town). However, you can catch a tuk tuk or red bus all times of the day for about 30 to 60 baht (1-2$) a person. I preferred this location to being at the center of town because it was peaceful and homely. Some of the best restaurants and bars on the ping river were very close to this hotel and not in the center of town. The service at the hotel was great and my observation was this is a well managed hotel. I arrived by taxi in the evening and before i could get out of the taxi, the staff were unloading my luggage from the taxi trunk. I did not even have to provide my details because they were expecting me and were aware of my name. This is the nice aspect of staying at a small hotel as opposed to a large hotel. The breakfast was included in the room price and you have a selection of 5 different items from a set menu. It was a complete & nice break fast. The room were large spacious, very clean with a large comfy king bed, flat panel tv and nice clean toilets. I would classify the room to be 4 stars or even closer to 5 in comfort. The wi-fi was a little slow but sufficient to do basic emails and surfing. I could not find any fault with this hotel and very impressed at price, location, service and room quality.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank jmocha
Cape Town
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at Sakorn Residence during songkran for 4 nights. That was a brilliant move as the hotel is located across the Ping river in a much quieter area.There were times we wanted to stay dry so not being in the chaos was a God send. Although quiet it's easy walking distance to some great restaurants along the river, like Deck 1, Meeting room Cafe and also the Riverside bar and restaurant.
A 3 minute walk will get you to a main road where a songtheuw can be caught instead of legging it into the Old city.
The rooms are spacious, clean and great wifi is available on every floor, we stayed on the 2nd floor. Breakfast is from a set menu and we found it to be more than sufficient with enough options to please everyone. A complimentary plate of fresh fruit and a sweet treat is also supplied with breakfast.
The hotel grounds and pool area is very clean, and you will feel well looked after by the great staff on duty. Everything supplied in the mini bar is priced really well, so if you don't feel like walking to a mini mart the in room drinks and snacks are ver reasonably priced. (eg. Chang beer is 45baht in your room fridge. Compared to 38 baht at 7 eleven)

Overall i would gladly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great value for money stay in a great area outside the city.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends