“Verdict pending”

Ranked #62 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
London
“Verdict pending”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

For this year’s stay in Chiang Mai, I wanted to try a few accommodations and the De Lanna was one of those. Its literature described it as “...modern and decorative, convenient and luxurious with rooms that are ultra-modern but accentuated with beautiful fabrics and handicrafts...”

Well, that was the advertisement and I bought into it.

I am attaching a few photos to describe what I want to say, which perhaps, in parts, may convey a different story from the brochures. I also accept that one doubtful review is statistically irrelevant. Other than that, caveat emptor.

In my view the best features of this hotel are 1) its location and 2) its garden area. The latter in particular lends itself quite well to photos just before the sun sets. Albeit for the size of the hotel it is a little on the small side.

When I stayed there, a construction was taking place at the rear, which is where my room faced. Luckily, by the time I came back to rest, the builders had gone home and I had a good night sleep.

The rooms do reflect local deco but to call them modern and luxurious is, in my view, a little exaggerated. The bathroom in particular is disappointing and others have commented on the poor water works.

The rooms have exceptionally high ceiling but the reasons for this were lost on me. The ambiance was a little dark for my taste. However, the room was clean and the bed comfortable.
One unexpected highlight was the breakfast. Not a huge choice but all cooked food was very tasty indeed.

One big letdown, surprisingly for Chiang Mai, was the staff. They just did not seem interested. At first I thought this was me. Perhaps, I had upset someone? However, on observing their minimal and superficial interaction with other guests, I surmised that this was just the way they were.

In summary, great location, comfortable beds, tasty breakfast but not fitting the description given in the brochure and, if I may say so in a constructive manner, the staff will need some significant training if they are to deliver at a higher standard.

I am confident that with a little effort this hotel could be so much better.

Giorgio Federico

Room Tip: Ask for a garden facing room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Federicoita
Paokung, Owner at De Lanna Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear lovely guests,

Thank you for your valuable comments. We will definitely improve our services. Now we did a replanted our garden with an artificial grass and it's all looked better than the photo you took in this review. Sorry for the feeling of getting an ignorant or indifferent from our staffs. There are some staffs that have that kind of character, especially, in this high season that we are short on a number of staffs and they are all work hard and feel tired. We will definitely improve those staffs ability and attitude to be in the high service standard. Thank you again for your valuable comments.

Sincerely yours,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stayed here in October 2013 with a friend. I prearranged transportation, which made it very easy and affordable (after converting back to US$). The place is well decorated, and has a lovely and homey feel to it. Good size rooms and comfortable beds. American and Asian dishes for breakfast buffet - great outdoor seating, but it was really nice and breezy to sit outside in the morning during my time of stay. Location is great as we were able to walk to almost everywhere. We even walked to the night bazaar (about a 20 min walk), but definitely took the tuk tuk back after a day of walking and night of shopping. The hotel staff also gave great recommendations for excursions - their price is comparable to other tour excursion companies as well. Not the cheapest in relation to Thailand hotels, but not the most expensive either. You pay for what you get in terms of location, hotel environment, and included breakfast buffet.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Recently, I stayed there from 11-14 Dec with a group of 30 people. Had a good stay there actually till I found out yesterday when I checked the money that we brought to Chiangmai and that was stored in the hotel safe and that we had lost just 1 piece of a S$100 note and 1 piece of a US$100 note from the safe. I have kept in total 10pcs of S100 note and 10pcs of US$100 note in the safe while I’m there and never thought it will be missing until we checked yesterday when we got home.
So, I called the hotel the next day and wrote an email to them to update and report on the situation. And till today, 5 days later, there was no response and call from the hotel staff or management to this very serious issue where money was taken from the hotel room or worst case hotel safe!! This frustrated me even more...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sim Lim,

Sorry for lost in a conversation! Our staff did a wrong reply to your email. He first forward your mail with response to our Front Office Manager and then he thought he sent a reply to you already! Right now, our staffs already sent you a replied email which is supposed to sent back to you the first day you sent to us (23/12/2013). I am very sorry for this kind of confusion and I guarantee that it will not happen again. Please reply the email our staff sent you. In the email we asked which room number you were in since you came as a group and one person register for the whole group. We cannot track which room you were in, so please let us know and we can work out on that together. I am very sorry for what happened during you stay with us and we will try our best to find out what really happened with your money.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stayed here in December 2013. Pros: We really enjoyed the property and the room décor. The beds were very comfortable and the location was great. Cons: The shower was constantly flooding the bathroom floor. We prearranged transporation with the hotel but were never picked up from the airport and had to take a taxi. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to friends.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Paokung, Owner at De Lanna Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear lovely guests,

Thank you for your valuable comments. We will improve our shower room soon. Our reception might have forgotten put your flight schedule into the system for picking up you from the airport. We will definitely improve our services system and we apologize for this issue. Thank you agian for your valuable comments.

Geylang, Singapore
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Everything is ok esp. the environment. The room is fantastic & cosy. Swimming pool is well decorated & the garden is wonderful. The only setback is the staff need to improve on
their communication. Shuttle service should be provided free of charge like what other hotel is
doing. The reception at least must know the basic of English.

• Stayed December 2013
Paokung, Owner at De Lanna Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear lovely guests,

Thank you for your valuable comments. Normally, our reception staffs and restaurant staffs have a quite good skill of English. However, in some cases with difficult accent of our guests, there migth be a non-smooth operation on what you want. In another case, you might have a chance to spoke with "a bell boy" which his english is not so good, especially the one who has a night shift. However, we will definitely improve our staffs' language skills and services to meet our the high standard of services quality. Thank you again for your valuable comments.

United States
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed five nights. It is parallel to the main street, so it is very close to everything, but still quiet and peaceful. Got the best sleep of my life! The service is excellent, and the hotel provides many thoughtful personal touches that make it feel as if you're staying in a bed and breakfast. They even offer a variety of pillows depending on how firm you'd like them. Breakfast was included in our stay, and was always tasty. I definitely recommend staying within the walls of old city Chiangmai. It is not nearly as charming once you leave the walls.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

singapore
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed 6 nights and took the honeymoon and deluxe suite with extra beds for family of 2A, 2C and 2seniors. The location is quiet, near Wat Pra Singh and not near the busy night markets - but we enjoyed the peace after a day running around town. It is parallel to the Sunday night market street and this street has local restaurants within easy walking distance. Crossing over to the WPS, one can hop on the songtiew/tuk tuk to attractions.

Breakfast is very pleasant as we sit under the frangipani trees - breakfast has hot soup rice congee, local fried rice/noodles, english breakfast selection. Rooms v big and clean, lanna style so lighting is more romantic (dim) but can sit out by the pool or balcony. Too cool to swim but it was cleaned twice whilst we stayed.

Staff are efficient and friendly.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite had a bathtub with jacuzzi which is nice for a soak in after running around the whol...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family