“Nice and quiet hotel”

De Lanna Hotel, Chiang Mai
Ranked #67 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The hotel is situated at the west side of the old city. To walk to the night market, it might take 20 - 25 mins' walk. The courtyard is beautiful and most rooms have a terrace facing it. We were upgraded to a deluxe room facing the courtyard where we stayed two nights. The room was clean and well equipped with kettle and hairdryer, which are not a must in most boutique hotels in Chiang Mai. The wi-fi was strong and steady.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are the best because they face the courtyard and have private fish ponds...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

good b/fast
comfortable bed
generally nice ambience

Cons -
Biggest let-down was the bathroom. It was small but adequate for my wife& I
The most unpleasant parts were the floor and walls which were of bare cement which tend to develop fine fissures and unsightly stain with time. Shower area separated by a curtain of fabric material and was stained.

Suggestion -
Simple up-grading of bathroom by tiling the floor and wall. replace the shower curtain with glass door.

Will we return to the hotel?
If the bathroom is upgraded, the answer will be a definite yes. Until then we are struggling to decide.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Paokung, Owner at De Lanna Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear lovely guests,

Thank you for your valuable comments. The bathroom will definitely improve. We plan to renovate our bathroom in this coming low season. Thank you again for your valuable comments.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I was a little hesitant about our stay given some of the recent reviews, but had trouble finding another alternative during busy season.
I've been in our room under an hour and have already killed six Mosquitos. The front desk had to be pushed quite a bit on my part to offer any solution, and finally gave me a scented device to ward off Mosquitos, the effectiveness of which has yet to be determined.

The bathroom shower is just plain old dirty, with black mold on the shower floor, walls, and curtain. Areas not readily visible to the eye, like behind the sink and lamp, are completely uncleaned. When pushed, the hotel offered to switch my room after one night stay in the present one, but insisted that my bags be moved at noon while I planned to be out for the day and could not guarantee that the new room be cleaner than the present one.
Moreover, the rooms are significantly smaller than as depicted on the website - which I expected, but not to this degree.

Wish I had heeded some of the warnings in prior reviews. How this stay will improve has yet to be seen.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank BR6372

Dear lovely guests,

Thank you for your valuable comments. In our resort style room and with garden and plants, mosquitos are something we cannot avoid, but we try our best to reduce the number of mosquitos in our guest's rooms. Sorry for your bad experience about the room. You might get a room 206 or 306 which are a slightly smaller than other rooms. For the bathroom, we have a minimal style with plain concrete and when the time pass by, it might look dirty. We will renovate all the bathrooms very soon in the low season period. Thank you agian for your valuable comments.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

For this year’s stay in Chiang Mai, I wanted to try a few accommodations and the De Lanna was one of those. Its literature described it as “...modern and decorative, convenient and luxurious with rooms that are ultra-modern but accentuated with beautiful fabrics and handicrafts...”

Well, that was the advertisement and I bought into it.

I am attaching a few photos to describe what I want to say, which perhaps, in parts, may convey a different story from the brochures. I also accept that one doubtful review is statistically irrelevant. Other than that, caveat emptor.

In my view the best features of this hotel are 1) its location and 2) its garden area. The latter in particular lends itself quite well to photos just before the sun sets. Albeit for the size of the hotel it is a little on the small side.

When I stayed there, a construction was taking place at the rear, which is where my room faced. Luckily, by the time I came back to rest, the builders had gone home and I had a good night sleep.

The rooms do reflect local deco but to call them modern and luxurious is, in my view, a little exaggerated. The bathroom in particular is disappointing and others have commented on the poor water works.

The rooms have exceptionally high ceiling but the reasons for this were lost on me. The ambiance was a little dark for my taste. However, the room was clean and the bed comfortable.
One unexpected highlight was the breakfast. Not a huge choice but all cooked food was very tasty indeed.

One big letdown, surprisingly for Chiang Mai, was the staff. They just did not seem interested. At first I thought this was me. Perhaps, I had upset someone? However, on observing their minimal and superficial interaction with other guests, I surmised that this was just the way they were.

In summary, great location, comfortable beds, tasty breakfast but not fitting the description given in the brochure and, if I may say so in a constructive manner, the staff will need some significant training if they are to deliver at a higher standard.

I am confident that with a little effort this hotel could be so much better.

Giorgio Federico

Room Tip: Ask for a garden facing room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Federicoita

Dear lovely guests,

Thank you for your valuable comments. We will definitely improve our services. Now we did a replanted our garden with an artificial grass and it's all looked better than the photo you took in this review. Sorry for the feeling of getting an ignorant or indifferent from our staffs. There are some staffs that have that kind of character, especially, in this high season that we are short on a number of staffs and they are all work hard and feel tired. We will definitely improve those staffs ability and attitude to be in the high service standard. Thank you again for your valuable comments.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stayed here in October 2013 with a friend. I prearranged transportation, which made it very easy and affordable (after converting back to US$). The place is well decorated, and has a lovely and homey feel to it. Good size rooms and comfortable beds. American and Asian dishes for breakfast buffet - great outdoor seating, but it was really nice and breezy to sit outside in the morning during my time of stay. Location is great as we were able to walk to almost everywhere. We even walked to the night bazaar (about a 20 min walk), but definitely took the tuk tuk back after a day of walking and night of shopping. The hotel staff also gave great recommendations for excursions - their price is comparable to other tour excursion companies as well. Not the cheapest in relation to Thailand hotels, but not the most expensive either. You pay for what you get in terms of location, hotel environment, and included breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Recently, I stayed there from 11-14 Dec with a group of 30 people. Had a good stay there actually till I found out yesterday when I checked the money that we brought to Chiangmai and that was stored in the hotel safe and that we had lost just 1 piece of a S$100 note and 1 piece of a US$100 note from the safe. I have kept in total 10pcs of S100 note and 10pcs of US$100 note in the safe while I’m there and never thought it will be missing until we checked yesterday when we got home.
So, I called the hotel the next day and wrote an email to them to update and report on the situation. And till today, 5 days later, there was no response and call from the hotel staff or management to this very serious issue where money was taken from the hotel room or worst case hotel safe!! This frustrated me even more...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Sim Lim,

Sorry for lost in a conversation! Our staff did a wrong reply to your email. He first forward your mail with response to our Front Office Manager and then he thought he sent a reply to you already! Right now, our staffs already sent you a replied email which is supposed to sent back to you the first day you sent to us (23/12/2013). I am very sorry for this kind of confusion and I guarantee that it will not happen again. Please reply the email our staff sent you. In the email we asked which room number you were in since you came as a group and one person register for the whole group. We cannot track which room you were in, so please let us know and we can work out on that together. I am very sorry for what happened during you stay with us and we will try our best to find out what really happened with your money.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stayed here in December 2013. Pros: We really enjoyed the property and the room décor. The beds were very comfortable and the location was great. Cons: The shower was constantly flooding the bathroom floor. We prearranged transporation with the hotel but were never picked up from the airport and had to take a taxi. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to friends.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Paokung, Owner at De Lanna Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear lovely guests,

Thank you for your valuable comments. We will improve our shower room soon. Our reception might have forgotten put your flight schedule into the system for picking up you from the airport. We will definitely improve our services system and we apologize for this issue. Thank you agian for your valuable comments.