“Don't leave Chiang Mai without coming here”

Baanchang Elephant Park - Private Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$47.05*
and up
Elephant's Heaven: Half-Day Elephant Experience at Baanchang Elephant Park in...
More Info
US$72.15*
and up
Elephant's Friend Day: Full-Day Elephant Experience at Baanchang Elephant Park...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Baanchang Elephant Park: Is dedicated to providing elephants with the highest quality-of-life possible.Our elephant park run by 100 % Thai Owner. Our Park completely owned and rescued 39 Elephants. The program will provide you the wonderful introductions to the lifestyle of Thai elephants including all details involved about them, also you can learn how to control and bath the elephants as if you are a Mahout. By the way, you will be able to ride elephants bareback through the hills around in our park area.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I loved every moment of our tour at Baanchang Elephant Park. Our guide Woody shared his vast knowledge with us and the rest of our group on the history of the elephants they rescued, the anatomy of elephants, how to feed them, how to care for them, and how to ride them.

It is very clear that there is a strong bond between the trainers and the elephants. They are well fed (and possibly spoiled) from the abundance of snacks you'll get to feed them in the morning. Later on in the day, they'll be taken to be fed on their main diet of bamboo and leaves.

Playing it safe, we decided not to bring our large DSLR (forecast called for thunderstorms). Woody was more than helpful with the picture coverage. We saw him climbing on hills and slopes, trying to capture snap some pictures with his camera while we were riding our elephant.
The lunch they provide tastes like home cooking. A solid plate of noodles with veggies, eggs, chicken, and all the fixins to go along with it. If you have any dietary restrictions, you should let them know in advanced.

This was money well spent and for a great cause. It was also a great bonding experience for my wife and I.

1  Thank SteveKhuu

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My very first question upon seeing the elephants was why there were chains on them. I was dubious, initially, when my guide told me it was for safety purposes.

However, as I went on feeding them, I was (lightly) grabbed by an elephant near the front as he wanted the sugarcanes I had. I can definitely see how if they weren't chained, they would either fight each other for more goodies, or potentially hurt the visitors.

That being said, I could really see that the mahouts care for their elephants. I learned so much about why chairs/thrones are bad for elephant backs, and about overall elephant health. Baan Chang does a lot to keep them healthy and keep them fed.

Our day started with elephant feeding, in which I got surprised by a grab and a kiss by two separate elephants, then we proceeded to learn about how to ride the elephant, rode our elephants while they went on their exercise walk, then helped bathe them.

Just an overall amazing experience and I can't wait to come back!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked a 2 day trip to Baanchang with our hotel in Chiang Mai. Due to the normal trip being full we were told that we could do the 2 day trip in reverse instead of the normal layout. We were picked up from our hotel by our guide Chin, On our first day we went waterfall trekking to a beautiful waterfall and then white water rafting which was so much fun and the food that was provided was delicious. We returned to the elephant park in the evening and had dinner there, which the entire group agreed was the best meal of our month trip in thailand. We spent a few hours with the other backpackers/people who were staying at the park in the evening after dinner before going to bed relatively early as we had to get up early the next day. The rooms where we stayed were lovely, basic but lovely, and i personally liked the geckos who kept popping by to say hi.
The next day we got up, had a lovely breakfast and our guide (who was fantastic) talked us through the layout of the day. It is worth noting that the guide answered every single question that the tour group had in great detail. Then we spent the day with the elephants which was absolutley amazing. From feeding them in the morning, to learning their commands and riding them everything about the experience was amazing.
We researched where to go before we got to Chiang Mai as we did not want to go to a park that treated the elephants cruelly... and baanchang was perfect, Chin told us all about the backstory to many of the elephants and it was lovely to hear that they had been rescued from logging and other expolitative activities.

I Would recommend this elephant park to absolutely everybody who wants to see elephants in Chiang Mai, it was fantastic value for money, and i would have paid alot more for the experience. The staff were incredible and overall it was one of the best experiences of my trip!

2  Thank amylaura1507
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

This has to be one of the best experiences of my life.

Totally amazing.

I would recommend this park to anyone wanting to spend some time with these gorgeous animals.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had Aof as our guide and he was positively delightful! We chose this place for its value against its ethical practices, since we wanted to ensure elephants weren't mistreated. We got to ride on Big Mumma (ask to ride her if you can, as she was the biggest) and it was so much fun! I would love to visit again and stay for longer!