“best for what you pay...”
Review of Chang Puak Hotel

Chang Puak Hotel
Ranked #146 of 834 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 February 2013

can't really expect a whole lot can you from a budget hotel ? We came with that in mind. I even bought my own soap as the soap they provided was so small it slipped off of my hands too quickly.

The morning receptionist is a money grabber. You should not ask her for a tour as she would insist that you take on her husband to drive you around for THB1500 and that was just for the car and her unknowledgable husband driver who got lost several times while driving us around and not that good knowledge of English. Then you have to pay all the entries to all the parks. We were stupid enough to let her talked us to go with her husband. We found out that if you were just to take a city tour it would have been much cheaper.

However, the afternoon receptionist, Jane, is a gem !! she's kind, professional and know what she's talking about.

The hotel as it is is comfortable. Air conditioner works find, shower is great (like I said bring your own soap/shampoo). Bed is comfortable.

The wifi, if you were on 3rd floor, you're at your own merci.. It's awful... got cut off more than you share ... In the lobby, the best wifi connection, believe it or not IS in the public rest room! haha.. YES, you read it right... !!

Anyway, for a budget hotel it is adequate... Just do your homework before trusting some of the employees there.. I found that the kitchen staff ARE great, Jane (the night receptionist is wonderful) and the rest , don't bother dealing with them...

Oh ... don't forget to bring eye mask, as the curtain is too thin and the sun shines early and bright...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank spotmenow

Reviewed 23 February 2013

In general this hotel has more pluses than minuses. In particular the swimming pool was lovely, in a nice setting with comfortable cushioned loungers.
Rooms are basic, but clean. Shower was warm without being hot. Beds though are on the firm side & pillows not brilliant.
Wifi always worked well, even in room. If needed there are 2 computers downstairs with a printer, free of charge.
Food though is poor. I had a pad Thai (prawn noodle dish), as I was eating into it, I found I had something chewy...I pulled an elastic band out of my mouth!
If you don't have your own car, you will need a tuk tuk or songthaew to take you to night bazaar etc.
Not much near the hotel in way of eateries, but 10min stroll away from city & you'll come to Tops supermarket where there's a coffee shop etc. right next to Mercure hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ningaloo25
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights in December. My room was quite big for one person. Would have been perfect for 2 people. Together with the bathroom it was very clean and quiete.
The window was overlooking the hotel swimming pool which was lovely and also very clean.
The hotel is tacked away from the main road and it has got a lovely impressive reception area. The breakfast was included in the price.
It took good 25 min walk from the main city area. There is not much to see around the hotel. There is a convenience store about 7 min walk away and about 10 min to the huge food market.
I found that the reception staff are NOT too helpfull neither friendly. The laundery servise in the hotel is too expensive I found a shop that did my laundery for much cheaper about 7min walk up the main street.
Next to the city walls there is nice night food market every night.
If I was to go back to Chiang Mai I would rather look at booking a room in the main backpackers area rather then booking here, unless I was after sitting round to pool holiday.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Chang Puak Hotel is located 5 minutes walk north of the Chang Puak Gate on the north side of the city wall. The hotel is quiet due to the lush vegetation and it's 100 meters away from the Chang Puak street. The manager and staff are very welcoming and helpful. I stayed there 3 nights in the end of November, at Lio Khratong(lantern festival) and I got a detailed map which spot in town I should go to get the best view. Very good and reasonable food, nice and clean pool for a refreshing morning dip before breakfast. The beautiful Thai architecture in wooden reception area and restaurant together with the lush tropical vegetation, give this place a tropical ambiance that's hard to beat. It's also very clean all over the whole place. I walked around a lot, and 7-11++,, nice food stalls and street vendors is just 5-10 minutes walk away.
I will recommend this place to anyone and will stay there on my next trip to Chiang Mai next year.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Svein Arne G
Reviewed 19 December 2012

we stayed here for 6nights it is very well priced and a good location. u do need to get cabs or the lady on reception can sort out a driver for you to take you to sight seeing places for a reasonable price. the staff are so helpful and always smiling they have a few cats around the place as pets which is nice to see them Bering Fed here. the food is also very cheap and excellent. the rooms are a good size but no safety box. they have free WiFi but depends what room you have if it works or not. it is strongest in the lobby. we loved our stay here and it was quite apart from the school break time round the corner. thank you Chang Pauk!

Room Tip: we got a twin room seemed to be big but we saw another room which looked bigger but was more of a fa...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Set well back from the main road, surrounded by mature trees and graced with an excellent pool.For the money, the rooms are fine, evidence of upgrading include retiled bathroom floors, new shower water heaters and new internal doors.Beds on the hard side, soft pillows, furnishings on the worn side.My only real gripe is the ancient split system A/C, - noisy and pretty ineffective, the ceiling fan did the same job.
I was fortunate enough to meet the owner , who is in the process of upgrading things, and was as delightful as his staff.Food in the hotel was good and fair priced.
Located near the old city but away from tourist town,( on the east side of the old city ), this is a good choice , nicely" local ", central, and close to the bike hire shop.The place has character, I will miss it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank johnfriebe_11
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Some staff members were extra nice which made up for the ones who were not friendly at all. The pool and gardens are great. The restaurant on site is very basic, but tasted good. Rooms are average.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business