“Freezer full of frozen stock?!?!”

Butter is Better Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 95 Dessert in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery
Description: Real American food is what we offer at Butter is Better Diner & Bakery. We pride ourselves on making food the old-fashioned way. No shortcuts and no MSG. We make our own Corned Beef, Pastrami, Pulled Pork, Canadian Bacon, All-beef hamburgers, Pickles, Sauerkraut, Jams. etc. Most of what we offer can be served Gluten Free. We make our own gluten-free bread, bagels, brownies, cookies, and all kinds of cakes. Of course, we also offer a big variety of standard bakery items made with wheat flour. For breakfast we offer such classics as Eggs Benedict, homemade buttermilk pancakes (regular and gluten-free) waffles, and homemade sausages. And, of course, bagels-and-lox. If you're craving old-fashioned American food, the kind it's hard to find even in the States, give us a try.
glasgow
“Freezer full of frozen stock?!?!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Ordered 2 mango shakes. The lady went into the giant freezer beside the till and pulled out 2 bags of pre cut frozen mango. I then watched it get blended and served to us.

That was bad enough, but when I went to the till to pay, I could not believe the ice cream freezer with glass sliding top that was full with all kinds of pre cut frozen fruit, and even bagels!

I don't care what rude response the management come up with in reply to this review. Frozen fruit in Thailand is a disgrace!!

Walk down to a local market stall and you will see an endless supply of fresh fruit especially mangos.

Call me old fashioned, but I just believe in fresh, purchased on the day ingredients, especially when you're running a restaurant and taking peoples money.

1 Thank Padwala
butterisbetter, Owner at Butter is Better Restaurant, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Had you bothered to do a Google search for something like "secrets to making great smoothies", you would have learned that one of the "secrets", although it isn't much of a secret, is to use frozen fruit in making smoothies. We got to the market every few days and buy mangoes and freeze them ourselves. The reason for freezing mangoes, or any fruit used to make smoothies, is simple: the more frozen fruit you use, the less ice you need to use. The less ice you use, the more concentrated the flavor. People love our smoothies precisely because we pay attention to details like this.
As for our bagels, they are real old fashioned New York City style bagels we make with unbleached high gluten flour and barley malt. Artisanal bakers know that if you take a high quality freshly baked bread, you can freeze it with amazingly great results. You just need to take care to do it right . We do it right.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Geelong, Australia
“Gluten free options in Chiang Mai!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic find this place is! After reading TA reviews that there are GF options for us coeliacs, I had to try it. It is a cool place, literally and in decor also! The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming with gorgeous smiles. I had the gf buttermilk pancakes and a pineapple smoothie. Just delish. I hadn't had pancakes in many many years so this was a real treat. I think the deciding factor for me on whether a GF dish is great or ok is when I ask myself does this TASTE gluten free....and it didn't it just tasted like 'normal' food. Hubby had the cheese blintzes which was like a crepe rolled up with cottage cheese, which he also liked. The best thing about this place was the confidence of the staff member who took my order, knowing that I needed to eat gluten free and I felt really confident that she was 'all over it' which is a rare thing for me in Thailand.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank mrs_smith1368
Anderson, South Carolina
“Pancakes”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The best pancakes with huge chocolate chips! And fairly descent prices. I will definitely be going back.

Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“A bit of Western Diner in Thailand”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We found this restaurant close to our hotel (Shangri-La) one afternoon for lunch. While we love the Thai food in Chiang Mai, it was nice to have a break from curries after a week.

Our family of five enjoyed burgers and chicken pot pie as well as some delicious milk shakes.

Be aware they are only open until 7 PM I believe so breakfast, lunch or early dinners work.

Visited April 2014
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Nice place for lunch, big portions”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I ordered carrot and pumpkin soup, which came with two toasted slices of home-made bread and some warm, easy-to-spread butter. I don't know what tasted better - the soup or the bread, both were delicious. It was my first time at Butter is Better, and I didn't know the portions were so big. For the second course I ordered a tuna sandwich, but had to take it home, because I was already so full. I give the restaurant only four stars, cos in my opinion it lacks some character - but maybe I think so because I was seated in the back room with nothing to look at. The service was ok - not outstanding, but the staff was busy, as the restaurant was pretty packed.

• Visited April 2014