“typic us cooking and design”

Butter is Better Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 98 Dessert in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery
Description: Real American food is what we offer at Butter is Better Diner & Bakery. We pride ourselves on making food the old-fashioned way. No shortcuts and no MSG. We make our own Corned Beef, Pastrami, Pulled Pork, Canadian Bacon, All-beef hamburgers, Pickles, Sauerkraut, Jams. etc. Most of what we offer can be served Gluten Free. We make our own gluten-free bread, bagels, brownies, cookies, and all kinds of cakes. Of course, we also offer a big variety of standard bakery items made with wheat flour. For breakfast we offer such classics as Eggs Benedict, homemade buttermilk pancakes (regular and gluten-free) waffles, and homemade sausages. And, of course, bagels-and-lox. If you're craving old-fashioned American food, the kind it's hard to find even in the States, give us a try.
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

taking a lunch or a breakfast here is realy amazing becsuse of the old american feeling. All is tasty organic and homemade.

Don't forget to eat there before leaving chiang mai

1  Thank micot21
butterisbetter, Owner at Butter is Better Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

I'm so glad you liked our restaurant. There's just one thing I should correct. While we do use some organic ingredients, most of our food is not organic. We would have to charge a lot more money if we did use only organic food. But we do cook everything the old fashioned way. No shortcuts. This is how my 89 year old American mother-in-law cooks. She is my guru.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I discovered this place on my lat two days in Chiangmai ,all the other days I tried out other places with higher ratings... I was rather disappointed by those and was glad I stumbled upon butter is better.. On entering I was greeted with a very warm lady she was the owner. The interiors were very retro like the old time diners, it had a charm of its own.. Place was packed with people and on entering the smell of fresh bread and eggs really got me hungry.. I tried chicken pot pie, benedict egg, pork on biscuit , fresh juice , pan cakes, on the last 2 days that I was there.. And all was absolutely delicious!!! A must try at least once, if not more.

2  Thank Cusum2003

Thank you for your kind words about my place and about me. I learned to make a lot of these foods from my mother-in-law. She's a great cook and a great baker. I hope you can come back to Chiang Mai and visit with us again.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

As I live some distance outside the city, once a month I come here and buy all my bread, take it home, and freeze it. I have lived here 10 years so far, and the bread is the best I have found in Chiang Mai. While picking up my bread I stay for lunch. Sometimes I make a special trip here with friends just to enjoy an American style lunch. The sandwiches, hamburgers, frappes, and even the coffee are excellent. Andrew, the owner, and his Thai wife are very nice people and pleasant to chat with. Although I do like Thai food, it is a real pleasure to have a change once in a while, and this restaurant provides terrific American food, a pleasant atmosphere, and at prices that are more than reasonable. Butter is Better is very popular with expats and deservedly so. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

In thailand for a month and we have found ourselves heading there most mornings for breakfast. Food is amazing and staff are very friendly and accommodating.

1  Thank Kirklea2014
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Ordered 2 mango shakes. The lady went into the giant freezer beside the till and pulled out 2 bags of pre cut frozen mango. I then watched it get blended and served to us.

That was bad enough, but when I went to the till to pay, I could not believe the ice cream freezer with glass sliding top that was full with all kinds of pre cut frozen fruit, and even bagels!

I don't care what rude response the management come up with in reply to this review. Frozen fruit in Thailand is a disgrace!!

Walk down to a local market stall and you will see an endless supply of fresh fruit especially mangos.

Call me old fashioned, but I just believe in fresh, purchased on the day ingredients, especially when you're running a restaurant and taking peoples money.

1  Thank Padwala
butterisbetter, Owner at Butter is Better Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Had you bothered to do a Google search for something like "secrets to making great smoothies", you would have learned that one of the "secrets", although it isn't much of a secret, is to use frozen fruit in making smoothies. We got to the market every few days and buy mangoes and freeze them ourselves. The reason for freezing mangoes, or any fruit used to make smoothies, is simple: the more frozen fruit you use, the less ice you need to use. The less ice you use, the more concentrated the flavor. People love our smoothies precisely because we pay attention to details like this.
As for our bagels, they are real old fashioned New York City style bagels we make with unbleached high gluten flour and barley malt. Artisanal bakers know that if you take a high quality freshly baked bread, you can freeze it with amazingly great results. You just need to take care to do it right . We do it right.