Cool Guesthouse
Le Meridien Chiang Mai(Chiang Mai)
US$155
US$134
LeMeridien.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
US$690
US$307
Agoda.com
De Naga Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$131
US$151
US$137
US$108
Agoda.com
Anantara Chiang Mai Resort(Chiang Mai)
US$295
US$228
Anantara.com
Rainforest Boutique(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
US$39
US$31
All reviewscooking classexcellent locationgateguesthousetrekkinginternet
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Cool Guesthouse is situated in an excellent location close to the North Gate of the city. It's near to several good markets (Thanin, Warorot and Chinatown), a great Jazz bar, and a few blocks from the Sunday Walking Street.

The rooms are cozy, have comfortable mattresses and a great ambience. The greenery and fishpond in front of the rooms give the sense that you are in an oasis.

Breakfast is French, but was a nice change from the Asian food I had been eating for the last half year. Great freshly squeezed juices and housemade yoghurt as well.

The owners, Nathalie and Xavier, are very hospitable people. They are a walking Wiki when it comes to Thailand - they know the best places to visit and can offer you advice and help you with planning a trip that not only you will enjoy, but benefit the locals too. So make sure to ask them and use their knowledge!

Cool Asia Travel - the travel agency associated with Cool Guesthouse - can offer you some great fair trade tourism packages/tours. I checked around before booking the elephant tour with Cool Asia Travel, but I am so glad I chose them in the end, since their tour seemed to be more personal and not geared towards mass tourism. Eddy Elephant Experience was an unforgettable and humble experience. I was in awe to be able to get so close and connect with the majestical elephants. This was different from what I read about on the internet. This was not like the tours overrun by hordes of tourists - this was a more intimate setting.

If you are looking for a peaceful base to explore the beauty Chiang Mai and its surroundings has to offer - than Cool is the place to be!

Room Tip: The topfloor rooms have great views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The room was clean and comfortable; the best was the open space at the entrance where you could have breakfast. The neighborhood (the North Gate) is quiet, and there are lots of places to have dinner in the area and also 7-eleven . The only bad thing that I can say is that although they say they can speak Spanish we couldn't do it (and it should have been very helpful when we booked, also with them, our trips and activities in its tourism office, which shares part of the guesthouse).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2013

My review is very positive so here is some context in order to attest what I'm saying : I'm currently living in Thailand and I've been travelling across the country a lot. I stayed in expensive hotels as well as very cheap guesthouses. I stayed with my parents for a couple of nights in january 2013.

This is with no doubt the best value you can ever get in Thailand in this price range; I mean it.

We truly appreciated our stay there thanks to Xavier (the owner) and its staff who helped us greatly to organize our day activities. Not only he provided us some insights of what to do or see but he'll also arranged most of our trips. Everything went great as he really knew what he was talking about and recommended us very accurately the best places or activities that will suit our desires.

To sum up I would say that the service at Cool Guest House was amazing. I also have to mentionned that rooms are very nicely furnitured. Facilities such as bathroom, TV and wifi works great. Laundry was fast, breakfast good and the house itself is also nice with its woodens balconies.

I higly recommend that you stay there when you'll go to Chian Mai.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Nicolas-Richard
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple of days in March to kick off our trip to Thailand. We arranged for airport pickup which was very convenient. The room is decorated in a traditional Thai style with the bed close to the ground. Wifi included - and a small perk - you can skype via the television in your room! Breakfast, while not included, was very affordable and having the option of eggs/bacon, while not traditionally Thai to be sure, was welcome (I really do like my eggs in the morning!). The one disadvantage is that, in order to be environmentally friendly, the key card control all the electricity in the room - including the A/C. As such, it took awhile for the room to cool down when we returned after a hot day. But, this is a small thing. The included natural mosquito repellent for the room was appreciated, as was the two bottles of water/day.The jazz co-op nearby is a great place to kick back, relax, and hear some great music. The attached tour company was also very helpful in scheduling trips for us. if you keep in mind that this is a guest house and set your expectations accordingly, you will be very pleased.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kyrielle
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We did not know what to expect and luckily we fell into the most accommodating and cute guest house in a great part of the city. The owner knows a lot about wine and has a bunch of really good organic wines you can buy by the glass or bottle (a very rare thing to find anywhere in Thailand). It is located right near the old part of town and you can walk or bike (just take a free one from the house!) anywhere. Another thing that was really impressive was how great they were with helping plan our time in Chiang Mai. They were connected to all the great tour companies and had really well educated reviews on each one. AND we didn't feel pressured to take any of them... it was up to us and that was very refreshing. We told them what we like and in an hour we had everything planned for our full week there! They took care of all the scheduling and we just had to show up. I think Cool Guest House was responsible for creating some of the best moments we had traveling in Thailand. PLUS there is a great little Jazz Co-op bar 2 doors down that is really the best place to hang out at night and unwind. We will be back again and recommend it to all of our friends!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple