We stayed here for several nights and our overall impression was that the quality of the accommodation and service did not match the relatively high (for Chiang Mai) prices we paid.
The good points:
- great location in the old city, easy to walk to the main 'sights' and near plenty of restaurants, shops etc
- stylish design - artisan style, the rooms look good, the communal areas around the pool and dining area are lovely
- we paid extra to have a terrace and we enjoyed not only the extra space but also having private space outside
The bad points:
- bathroom is tiny and more of a wet-room. This arrangement would have been bearable if the drains had worked, but they were blocked leaving water on the floor hours after showering and an unpleasant smell throughout
- towels were often dirty - management blamed this on poor laundry service but frankly, given that this has been mentioned a number of times here (and so must have been going on for a while) I don't understand why they don't change their laundry service, rather than persisting in giving customers dirty towels/sheets
- seeing the customer as a wallet. The only time we were made to feel like either the day or night manager were eager to help was when they were going to gain commission by booking us tours with other companies, or when they tried to persuade us to allow them to book taxis which would have cost more than double what we knew it would cost us by arranging our own transport on the street
- General 'can't do' attitude, the opposite of what one would expect in a competitive hospitality industry
- Up-front payment - whilst I understand this might be common for hotels in Thailand (but didn't reflect our experience in Phuket), the insistence on our paying for our full stay up front meant no recourse for the poor service/standards mentioned above. The manager did compromise after much negotiation and allowed us to pay for 3 nights up front, but the whole discussion/arrangement was quite awkward and did not set the tone we were after for our stay.
All in all, I am sure one can get a similar quality of experience paying less, or a higher one paying the same, so for now, avoid Sathu if you can help it.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sathu Boutique House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.