See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 November 2012

As one of thé reviewer said, did you ever have the impression everything is wrong? Price in the website are excluding VAT, rooms are extra small and the bathroom is aged with painting falling apart and no separate toilet meaning when you take your shower, the toilet seat got washed. It is normally not that of a big deal but given the price you're paying, you would expect another standing. Don't trust pictures on the website.
Additionally, we got overcharged for excursions, taxi and laundering. We realized afterward taking to people and to travel agencies. Please don't go

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Benwind
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Have you ever feel that all something is wrong…. Well here is the place. The rooms are so small… and when I mean small it is worse than a doll house. So do not even think of the “supposed to be” bathroom, you have you shower on a toilet, but not like a local toilet, a standard one as westerners would know, no water pressure, do not think to leave your toiletry there it would get wet… or even your towel … and do not think of asking for an extra towel … if you ask to see a smaller room they show you one that might be small by few centimeters and actually is better organize so you can at least leave your suitcase on the floor by the bed (closed of course) where as a twin room you can’t and if seating on the bed your knees touch the other bed... Not to mention blood stains on the sheet, hairs… and holes. They advise amenities, which you do not have and when asking they keep bringing you the same one, when the next door got it all… Breakfast worse ever, do not ask for an extra coffee it will cost you an arm and talking about filter coffee not an espresso or a latte.
They charge a child the same price that an adult and this is what they call it “international regulation”… well to bad I travel a lot for both business and leisure and never happened to me and I am told off by the receptionist if I even try to say something… and believe me or not I do travel even in place no much people would have the pleasure to discover. If you ask for something… just expect the “supposed to be” manager to run away or avoid you… … I did not say anything at first as I thought it would get better but then it got worse and I am told off because I did not say anything…. The Manager who did my check in never informed me about paying extra for my 6 years old child; I end up paying her stay as an adult…. Over all hotels I did so far in Thailand and this was my second time in Chiang Mai… I never ever feel so poorly treated or should I say treated like a wallet… this is not Thailand, this is nowhere you would expect…
I travel low profile, did from dormitory, place with no electricity like in south Thailand, or hot shower to 5 star hotels in Thailand or other countries and I believe I know what to expect by now, not to mentioned that I work for the industry and this nowhere matching any hospitality concept.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Room clean, except stain on the bed sheet. They changed it when I asked them. Some peoples showers were clogged and wouldn't drain. Pool area doesn't really have anywhere to sit by it. Breakfast is nothing special- coffee is instant coffee. The woman who is in charge of breakfast isn't very nice- you get free breakfast and when I asked if I could add bacon she said no, I already put my order in and you only get one free breakfast (I had just got my food...). Overall, I wouldn't stay here again for the price we paid. If they could improve the service then I would recommend the hotel, but until then, its not worth the price. Also, the beds were hard- as if I were sleeping on the floor.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We've had a couple of lovely days in Sa Thu Boutique hotel. Our room is a bit dinky but has a small private courtyard which really extends the space and is perfect for us with two young kids who can't yet be trusted on balconies. Our room is very clean. The bathroom is tiny but quite manageable. The little pool is the most pretty we've ever had and as a bonus our room opens directly on to it. My kids have loved it.
The hotel has lots of character and is very attractive.
The service has been extremely attentive and friendly and the breakfasts we've had have been excellent - the best soft boiled egg I've had in years!(two mornings running so it wasn't a fluke!)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This is going to be a 2 part review as it took us some time to get what we wanted. We had booked a room for my wife and I and one for our 3 children, specifying their age so things seemed clear to me... However, when we arrived we found out that their room only had 2 beds, 2 very small beds and no space left to put an extra bed (they don't have extra beds anyway!). I was very dissatisfied and since none of the staff there speak english, it made things quite difficult to explain what I was in my right to expect! We settled for a slightly bigger room where 2 of my kids could share a bed, which was far from ideal! I refused to pay any extra cost and the manager finally agreed after we went over my emails a few times together.

The room my wife and I were in was a superior room with a little patio. Both rooms have a very small toilet with a sink and a shower head, so you shower directly in the toilet. The smell of the water was very, very bad. They obviously have some sewage issues. On top of it all, our bed was incredibly hard, it was like sleeping on a table!

After a very bad night for all 5 of us, I went to see the manager again and he showed me the only room we hadn't seen yet: the master suite. A very nicely decorated room, with a huge and soft bed, a real bathroom with a real shower, It also had a small couch so for an extra 30€ a night I decided it would be the best option for all of us as my son could sleep on the couch!

Then our stay started getting very enjoyable. The staff are friendly, although communicating is difficult, I must say they did what they could to help us. The hotel is well located inside the old town, you can use the free bikes to cycle around the city. The pool is very nice and the hotel is very quiet (although only a few rooms were occupied). It was very nice to spend some time by the pool having some snacks and drinks. There are also lots of nice restaurants and bars around.

Overall, once the initial disappointment faded, I must say we really enjoyed the atmosphere of this small place. So what I would say is that if you don't expect too much comfort, it could be a great place to stay at. Or if youw ant comfort, make sure to book the suite!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family