“Horrible”

Sathu Boutique House
Ranked #621 of 834 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 December 2012

A place I do not reccomend. We have booked deluxe rooms and wue did not get those. Or rooms were tiny and absolutely dark, we were not able to open our suitcases because there was no space and no light in order to see the inside. The bathrooms were embarrasing, the shower is in the same space as the toilet so you cannot avoid leaving everything wet. No cleaning at all, our towels were dirty always. The owner absolutely disgusting and wanted as to pay more than we were supposed.
Places like this should not exist, we would never repeat.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank mampav

Reviewed 7 December 2012

The room is literary small, please be careful when booking your room type. The bathroom does not help as well, the toilet, shower all placed into one tiny room, so when you shower everything will get wet. No complimentary water in the room as well.
However good points are great location and the owner is really helpful.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed here for several nights and our overall impression was that the quality of the accommodation and service did not match the relatively high (for Chiang Mai) prices we paid.
The good points:
- great location in the old city, easy to walk to the main 'sights' and near plenty of restaurants, shops etc
- stylish design - artisan style, the rooms look good, the communal areas around the pool and dining area are lovely
- we paid extra to have a terrace and we enjoyed not only the extra space but also having private space outside

The bad points:
- bathroom is tiny and more of a wet-room. This arrangement would have been bearable if the drains had worked, but they were blocked leaving water on the floor hours after showering and an unpleasant smell throughout
- towels were often dirty - management blamed this on poor laundry service but frankly, given that this has been mentioned a number of times here (and so must have been going on for a while) I don't understand why they don't change their laundry service, rather than persisting in giving customers dirty towels/sheets
- seeing the customer as a wallet. The only time we were made to feel like either the day or night manager were eager to help was when they were going to gain commission by booking us tours with other companies, or when they tried to persuade us to allow them to book taxis which would have cost more than double what we knew it would cost us by arranging our own transport on the street
- General 'can't do' attitude, the opposite of what one would expect in a competitive hospitality industry
- Up-front payment - whilst I understand this might be common for hotels in Thailand (but didn't reflect our experience in Phuket), the insistence on our paying for our full stay up front meant no recourse for the poor service/standards mentioned above. The manager did compromise after much negotiation and allowed us to pay for 3 nights up front, but the whole discussion/arrangement was quite awkward and did not set the tone we were after for our stay.

All in all, I am sure one can get a similar quality of experience paying less, or a higher one paying the same, so for now, avoid Sathu if you can help it.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tkmax34
Reviewed 18 November 2012

As one of thé reviewer said, did you ever have the impression everything is wrong? Price in the website are excluding VAT, rooms are extra small and the bathroom is aged with painting falling apart and no separate toilet meaning when you take your shower, the toilet seat got washed. It is normally not that of a big deal but given the price you're paying, you would expect another standing. Don't trust pictures on the website.
Additionally, we got overcharged for excursions, taxi and laundering. We realized afterward taking to people and to travel agencies. Please don't go

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Benwind
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Have you ever feel that all something is wrong…. Well here is the place. The rooms are so small… and when I mean small it is worse than a doll house. So do not even think of the “supposed to be” bathroom, you have you shower on a toilet, but not like a local toilet, a standard one as westerners would know, no water pressure, do not think to leave your toiletry there it would get wet… or even your towel … and do not think of asking for an extra towel … if you ask to see a smaller room they show you one that might be small by few centimeters and actually is better organize so you can at least leave your suitcase on the floor by the bed (closed of course) where as a twin room you can’t and if seating on the bed your knees touch the other bed... Not to mention blood stains on the sheet, hairs… and holes. They advise amenities, which you do not have and when asking they keep bringing you the same one, when the next door got it all… Breakfast worse ever, do not ask for an extra coffee it will cost you an arm and talking about filter coffee not an espresso or a latte.
They charge a child the same price that an adult and this is what they call it “international regulation”… well to bad I travel a lot for both business and leisure and never happened to me and I am told off by the receptionist if I even try to say something… and believe me or not I do travel even in place no much people would have the pleasure to discover. If you ask for something… just expect the “supposed to be” manager to run away or avoid you… … I did not say anything at first as I thought it would get better but then it got worse and I am told off because I did not say anything…. The Manager who did my check in never informed me about paying extra for my 6 years old child; I end up paying her stay as an adult…. Over all hotels I did so far in Thailand and this was my second time in Chiang Mai… I never ever feel so poorly treated or should I say treated like a wallet… this is not Thailand, this is nowhere you would expect…
I travel low profile, did from dormitory, place with no electricity like in south Thailand, or hot shower to 5 star hotels in Thailand or other countries and I believe I know what to expect by now, not to mentioned that I work for the industry and this nowhere matching any hospitality concept.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Room clean, except stain on the bed sheet. They changed it when I asked them. Some peoples showers were clogged and wouldn't drain. Pool area doesn't really have anywhere to sit by it. Breakfast is nothing special- coffee is instant coffee. The woman who is in charge of breakfast isn't very nice- you get free breakfast and when I asked if I could add bacon she said no, I already put my order in and you only get one free breakfast (I had just got my food...). Overall, I wouldn't stay here again for the price we paid. If they could improve the service then I would recommend the hotel, but until then, its not worth the price. Also, the beds were hard- as if I were sleeping on the floor.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We've had a couple of lovely days in Sa Thu Boutique hotel. Our room is a bit dinky but has a small private courtyard which really extends the space and is perfect for us with two young kids who can't yet be trusted on balconies. Our room is very clean. The bathroom is tiny but quite manageable. The little pool is the most pretty we've ever had and as a bonus our room opens directly on to it. My kids have loved it.
The hotel has lots of character and is very attractive.
The service has been extremely attentive and friendly and the breakfasts we've had have been excellent - the best soft boiled egg I've had in years!(two mornings running so it wasn't a fluke!)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family