“Far from 'boutique'”

Ranked #558 of 733 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Far from 'boutique'”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This place had good reviews, so was expecting it to be decent, but it was far from it. The rooms are very small, including the bathroom which was basically a toilet cubicle with a shower above it. The room was full of mosquitoes, with no nets and the air con was weak. We were in a room at the end of the row next to the water feature they have at the entrance which was turned on every day at 7am, and made a LOT of noise. Finally on the day we left, the hotel had booked us a taxi, and the woman who runs the day shifts told the taxi man to charge us double, so she could take the commission for calling him! You don't need to do this - so beware of the staff!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cwenham29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I only gave this place 1 star because I couldn't choose zero stars. And I'm writing my first ever review on trip advisor because this place really is that bad! Do yourselves a favour and do not waste your money. I'd rather have stayed up all night in a bar than give these people my money if I'd have known. Please please please trust me!!

Room Tip: Don't stay in any room here! If you have already paid for more than one night (which is probably...
Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chooken123

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Do yourself a favour and choose another place to stay. The photos you see on their website do not reflect the actual rooms. I book a room online through a hotel booking agency thinking I had reserved a Superior room. I was wrong. When I got there, the guy who checked me in took me to what I thought was a broom closet. He unlock the padlock, yes, a padlock and stepped aside. This room was tiny and dingy. The walls were scuffed. The bed was hard. ROCK HARD. The toilet/sink/shower hose area was barely big enough for me to stretch out my arms. There was a terrace, also small, but it was so dirty you wouldn't use anyway. For two days they did not clean my room. And when they did it was half an effort. The towels were threadbare, rough and stained. The a/c did not work. They have cable tv; 12 out of 14 channels were Thai stations. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Shazell212
Reviewed 26 February 2013

the photo is fake ,everthing is bad ,room ,environment ,clear , even the bed have smell .finally we need to change hotel .only one word can say-------help help help help help help help help help help help help

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank james20131234
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Do not stay at this hotel. The outside looks nice, but inside... Tiny rooms even for the doubles - really, you can barely fit one person in there let alone two. Rock hard beds (which may be a plus to the very few who like rock hard beds), but for me I was in danger of putting out my back! The rooms are also dusty and dirty - some sort of bloody slime was on our bedside table from a previous occupant, the pillows had blood spots on them, the showers had hair in them, and the floor was dubiously stained. Oh, and the safe didn't work either (or rather it did, but then it jammed shut on the second closing. Lucky we were still only testing and hadn't placed anything inside). Add to this unhelpful and arrogant staff who do not want to even speak to you after they have your cash. I have stayed in backpacking hostels that were superior to this place in every way, and Sa'Thu has the gall to charge premium rates! Not only that, but upon check-in we had a lot of doco to fill out that was done by the hotel staff everywhere else we stayed. Our checkin took like 20+ minutes and a lot of scribbling while the staff member just sat back and watched us fill out forms! Unfortunately we had already prepaid or I would have walked out right there.

As mentioned we had prepaid - for two nights, sight unseen (won't make that mistake again if possible) and the place was so bad we checked out two hours after arriving! We wrote off the first nights payment, after all, we had checked in and it was late notice to get a replacement person that day, but I think a refund of the second night was not unreasonable - but it was not forthcoming. There are plenty of other hotels in the area, I suggest you try them instead.

If they dropped the rates to a sixth of what they are asking, replaced the beds, sacked the staff and got some friendly/helpful ones, and also cleaned the place, it would rate as an adequate backpackers or budget hostel, as it is - this place is only a good alternative to sleeping on the street. AVOID.

Room Tip: Don't take any rooms. Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Cam H
Holland
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights early February 2013. We had booked via their internet site and they had demanded that we pay the full amount for 4 nights (Bath 8400) without possibility of a refund. Hmmm...!
Our findings:
The hotel's location is fine and it is nicely decorated. These are the only positive things.
We had a deluxe room, but this turned out to be a very small room with a small outside sitting area between high walls and equipment. The bathroom was cramped (just over 1 square meter) and after showering everything in the bathroom was wet.
The breakfast was insufficient (and we are not big eaters), so we asked for a few extra slices of toast. Only upon checking out did we find out that they charged an extra amount for this small extra. Never experienced this in 40 years of travelling!
The manager and the receptionist have their mind completely on money. When you ask for information on going somewhere, they bend reality so as to push you in a solution that generates money for them but does not really help the customer. The receptionist simply lied about travel times, distances etc when it served her commercial interest.
Inside the hotel it was a big mess in front of our door for say 3-4 hours every day. They used this spot as their laydown area for dirty linen, empty bottles etc.
The swimming pool is just not suitable for swimming. It is very small and there is no room to relax. During our 4 days stay we have not seen anyone taking a swim.
Finally, the hotel is far too expensive.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wimdohmen
Chiang Mai
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I was very, very disappointed in my stay here. I brought friends visiting from Belgium, and I was fully embarrassed. The room was dirty with tree leaves still on the floor when we first checked in. None of the staff was very friendly. The worst was the owner who needs a lesson in customer service. We were not informed of the extra charges incurred with the breakfast. There was no information regarding extra charges on the menu, Had we known beforehand, we probably would have been okay. However, the owner's response was not to apologize or calm the situation. He merely threatened to call the police. If you like to be verbally abused, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends