“VERY NOISY AND SADLY LACKING CONCERN”

Santitham Guest House
Ranked #69 of 777 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I booked direct with the owner, and American man and did so 2 weeks before my arrival on business and pleasure to Chiang Mai. I ordered and was CONFIEMED i would get a deluxe room with my own private NOT shared amenities as I work long into the night.

I requested a quiet room and this was also confirmed.

When i arrived the owner was on a trip to Nepal which i was advised and i was greeted and collected at the aairport. That was nice. however I ws given a room which shared the bathroom with the owner and was an OVERFLOW room. i wa charged full rate and I had booked for 2 weeks. HOWEVER they did not ask for payment up front. Credit where credit is due in this case....

BUT when I walked nakIVATE bathroom. well it was not. And i could NOT SLEEP for 3 days in arow because of the late night and early morning noise from cars and bies. OH GAWD it was awful and the other rooms were also noisy. Very nice deluxe rooms at the back but still noisy and too expensive.

I went to 27 other properties lookimg or a nice quiiet location. i ended up in QI68 hotel and stayed there 6 weeks. Enough Said?

Noise is NOT my idea of fun.

To the owners credit, I wrote an email and complained and said i had to leave or die of sleep deprivation and was given a FULL reund.

Room Tip: ASK For one at the back if you want to pay more than you can get elsewhere. This is a Gay place and...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank marcusgalore
nthuss, Owner at Santitham Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

I first learned of this traveler's complaint in an email which I addresses immediately. It was an unfortunate series of events that landed our unhappy guest in the circumstances he describes.
We were very proactive and had a meeting with this fellow and offered a free meal at the meeting plus offered a FULL refund for his visit. Even though this man stayed on for three nights, he was charged nothing. He seemed to be pleased with our forthright apology and
happy with the results. I am very disappointed with his review but we will take his criticism in stride and continue to provide the accommodations that have greatly pleased 99% of our guest.
As an Inn Keeper I have discovered that once you get on the wrong side with a very few customers, there seems to be little you can do to right the perceived injustice. I am frankly surprised by this review since we went to great lengths to make things right. We were indeed in an overbooked situation, which regrettably happens occasionally. We did everything we could to make amends . I am so sorry for this tarnish on our name. We really do try very hard to make our customers happy. About the noise ... our guest house is on a street with motorbike traffic at all hours. Our deluxe rooms are off the road and quiet. We seldom have complaints about the street noise because it is part and parcel of living in a developing country. We are fortunate that there are not loud noisy night clubs or discos in the area. Just the normal sounds of a vibrant college community in which we live.

There are newer reviews for Santitham Guest House

Reviewed 26 February 2012

When I decided to visit Chiang Mai for a short holiday after a 10-day business trip to Hong Kong, I knew that I wanted to stay at a place that would give me a unique Thai experience. Well, I found it! I had a good feeling about Santitham the first time I read the reviews on TA and visited the website and my intuition didn't let me down. The owner, Noland, answered my inquiry right away despite the 12-hour time difference and only asked for a $30 deposit when making my reservation.

I loved staying in this lovely, little retreat of off a fairly busy soi in the neighborhood of Chang Phueak which is about a 10 minute walk to the northwest corner of the Old City. My room was absolutely lovely and the attention to detail when they did the renovation was evident in the raised relief artwork embedded in the brick walls and the detail in the baseboards around the perimeter of the room among other upscale appointments throughout. The A/C was ice cold if you wanted it to be and could be controlled with a remote to ensure comfort. The wi-fi worked every time without fail which was very important to me. Noland told me that there would be mosquitos, however, I never saw one and I usually get eaten alive.

Breakfast every morning consisted of a bowl of delicious, fresh fruit, museli, and yogurt along with an assortment of breads, coffee and tea prepared by Nueng, the housekeeper who didn't speak English well, but was warm, friendly and helpful. If you wanted to buy food and cook for yourself in the kitchen, you had that option. At breakfast, I met some of the other guests and had very interesting exchanges since everyone was from a different part of the world and in Chiang Mai for different reasons. Some of the guests were young people studying at the massage schools in the area, another was moving to Chiang Mai from Australia, and others were on holiday as I was.

My only disappointment was that the little boutiquey restaurant that is right next door and owned by Noland as well, was closed 3 out of the 4 nights that I was there due to the chef going on holiday. I got to experience the cuisine on my first night which was absolutely delicious! Unfortunately, I was too exhausted from traveling to stay for the Thai folk singer who was going to be the entertainment for the evening. I did get to hear Noland on keyboards, though, as he kicked the evening off with familiar tunes.

Lastly, when I got to the airport on my last day, I realized that I had left a bag containing 3 pairs of prescription eyeglasses and an external flash for my camera in the car that dropped me off. BTW, transportation to/from the airport is complimentary and arranged by Santitham. I send an email to Noland asking if the bag had been found, and yes it had. I was elated to hear the good news and to top it off, Noland has offered to bring my things with him when he travels to the U.S. next month so that it won't cost me so much to have them sent!! Is that service or what??!!

If you're planning to visit Chiang Mai, please do yourself a favor and stay at Santitham Guest House- you'll be glad you did!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Given I own a small boutique hotel in Costa Rica, In my first trip to Asia, I was looking for something similar to what we created. Santitham Guest House was just the ticket. Beautiful Thai traditional decor in my room overlooking gardens and water features. Beds were comfortable with high quality linens everything was very clean.

But I have to say having the owner, Noland as a host is what tied it all together. He made sure I got to see and do the things I wanted to experience in Chang Mai. All his staff were very friendly and always welcoming.

I feel the property is ideally suited for friends, couples, solos and GLBT travel. I look forward to a return visit. It has been my best accommodation experience so far in Thailand.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and get the suite rooms. Both you and the room are worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
nthuss, Owner at Santitham Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

To be highly rated by one of your peers is a distinct honor and pleasure. Colin is world class, full of ideas and suggestions from one Guest House owner to another. We really valued his visit and his review! Best Wishes with your property in Costa Rica. We'll be there SOON!

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Santitham Guest House was a fantastic place to stay while in Chang Mai. It had a great position right outside the old city, yet close enough to get a red-cab into the center very quickly. Nolan, the owner, was also a fantastic owner who did everything he could to accommodate us. There is also a delicious little restaurant right next door.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2012

This was our third place to stay in Chiang Mai. The first two places were like taking a whirly, bumpy ride in Dorothy's house high atop a tornado. Through pure luck, and perhaps a little magic, we exited the old house and walked into the wonderful world of Santitham Guesthouse.

We walked through the lush courtyards with eyes wide and mouths open. The whole complex is encompassed by a wall and padded in flowers, trees and ferns. Winding walkways connect the buildings and pass over a network of small fresh water canals filled with Koi fish.

The facilities are as enchanting as the Emerald City including a well equipped workout area, free use of bicycles, plenty of quiet outdoor meditation and relaxation areas and filtered water throughout, so no need for bottled water.

The owner, also a friend of Dorothy, was blown in from the USA and is full of wisdom and very helpful in getting around the city. He has a cast of Munchkins on staff keeping the grounds and buildings in tip top shape. He also owns the adjoining restaurant which shares the magical appeal and wizardry of the guesthouse.

I can't thank the staff enough for a wonderful stay. Next time our hot air balloon is back in the area we will make sure it lands at the Santitham Guesthouse.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Bkosher2
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Santitham Guest House is a beautiful oasis just outside the old city of Chiang Mai. It is conveniently located close enough to the old city that a short bicycle ride - on a bike that is provided at no charge for guest use - is all it takes to get where you want to go. There is even a restaurant next door - the Sabaidee Santitham - that has wonderful atmosphere and excellent cuisine at amazingly low prices. On Saturday nights you are serenaded with live music by the owner and other local and visiting talent.
The setting of the guest house includes lush vegetation and traditional Thai decor with modern amenities (I particularly love the evening lighting). There are many sitting areas in which to pause and enjoy the moment.
Every faucet provides excellent quality filtered water so no worries about brushing your teeth or having a drink from the tap. The deluxe rooms have a private bath but even the shared bathrooms are luxurious and readily available. Large marble showers with inlaid Thai sculpture add to the magic.
Visiting Chiang Mai? Make sure to check out the Santitham Guest House.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I loved my stay at Santitham Guest House. They really went out of their way to make me happy. The room I stayed in was beautifully designed with a mixture of Thai and Modern styles with luxurious bathrooms. It made me feel really good each night when I came home. I was looking for a guest house away from the tourist area so I could see what normal (non touisty) Thai neighborhoods are like. Well, this is it. It's a great place smack the middle of the city. (Not the Old City, but Chiang Mai). Definately stay here for your visit to Chiang Mai.

Room Tip: Stay in one of thier suites.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
nthuss, Owner at Santitham Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Jay was a very gracious house guest. He knows about building and renovations because that is what he does for a living. We really appreciated the way he noticed the little details that others often miss. Please come back again soon, Jay!!! :-)