“A place of tranquility”

Santitham Guest House
Ranked #58 of 825 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

When we entered the Santitham Guesthouse, the chaos of Thai street life disappeared. We had entered a place of tranquility, friendliness, and traditional beauty. Noland, the owner, was so charming and natural, it was as if reuniting with a dear friend. He and the staff responded instantly to our every need. The beds were very comfortable and the inner gardens had many comfortable and cozy areas in which to relax. The breakfast was delicious and the attached restaurant/bar served excellent food reasonably priced. The live music on Saturday night was a touch of genius for any jazz affectionate. Your stay in Chiang Mai will be enhanced and memorable.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Dennismiamibeach

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Looks just like a small Lana style village, an oasis in the city. High quality craftsmanship and decor throughout. Friendly, courteous staff make you feel at home. Not the typical sterile environment.

Loaner bicycles make it easy to get around the central areas.

Excellent Thai restaurant right next door.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I loved this place and what it had to offer--it has vastly improved since I was there in 2004.. Have been reading reviews and wonder if people have forgotten how to walk.. There is no better way to meet the locals that walking the streets and you will be amazed at the little secrets you will find between this beautiful place and the City center..I am vegetarian and found a great place that served and sold TVP Texturized Vegetable Protein--made from soy--was one of the best meals I have found.. Get off the beaten path and go down some alleyways you would never think of going--go where you are the only non Thai on the street--that is the way to do a city!!!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank david f
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

The guesthouse is a very nice building, potentially a corner of little paradise. BUT the service was very low: cold showers, broken wc, cleaning service only on demand, low information to tourists, no one at the reception. A little bit far from city center - east gate - if getting there walking , could be about 1 hour.

• Stayed: August 2013
SantithamGuestHouse, Owner at Santitham Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

I like the heading of this Review! lol We are always interested in feed back, even when there are problems. We did have plumbing issues in one bathroom that affected all the others for a short time ... including cool water. The problem was resolved quickly, however, and most of our guest understand that we were on top of the situation quickly and it was fixed as soon as we could get a qualified plumber to come help. The other complaints by this reviewer are a bit more puzzling. Granted we are a small guest house and do not have a full service type of reception but our house keeper is around for 12 hours and then we have supplemental personnel. We also have a large brochure area with many options for tours and travel in Chiang Mai. We clean all our rooms daily and change linen after two days or earlier if requested. Our location has been discussed many times on TripAdvisor. We are happy NOT to be in the Old City. IF this customer has done his homework, he could have seen our map on our web site or read reviews here that often mention our location as a plus not a negative. This guest is simply wrong about the how long the walk would be to the old city. We offer free bicycles that can get you to that part of town in about 15 mins. The three wheel Tuk Tuks and "Red Trucks" are constantly passing the Guest House and for small money have you anywhere in town in 10 mins. Please read most of the reviews on our TripAdvisor page and you will see that MOST people are very happy with our location away from the "touristy" part of town. The proof is in the pudding as they say! Please come visit us and see for yourself!

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I came to Chiang Mai as a tourist. Now I live in Chiang Mai. I am just glad I chose Santitham Guest House when I first came to Chiang Mai; this was a very lucky find for me, indeed. The house is well maintained and clean. Noland, who manages the house, helped me with much during my first Chiang Mai visit, even making special telephone calls for me like a concierge at an expensive hotel, but more sincere help than this. The location is near everything, and also in a quiet small lane, no cars, where I could sleep at night during my 10 day visit, and enjoy my trip. Now that I live in Chiang Mai, it will be fun to return to Santitham for occasional visits to talk to my new friends there, and to surprise them as my Thai language ability improves. I could not speak one word of Thai, not even 'thank you', when Santitham's manager, Don, picked me up at the airport. Now, when I return to Santitham for the first time, I will tell them, "Pom Chop Santitham", "Pom Chop Chiang Mai". (I like Santitham, I like Chiang Mail. (Very True! Chiang Mai is a fantastic place, and Staying at Santitham was lucky for me.)

Room Tip: I very much liked my room which had polished wood floors, located under a nice shade tree. It was v...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mel R
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The guest house was clean, and felt more like living in a house than a hotel. Noland the owner was always helpful and friendly, and the neighborhood is great! What I liked the best is it is a non-touristy neighborhood. It is a REAL Thai experience to stay there, and you get real Thai prices, not the tourist ones for all surrounding restaurants, gyms, internet cafes, etc. I noticed how much cheaper it was when I went into the old city around 20 minutes away by baht bus. I paid 10 times cheaper prices for EVERYTHING than in the area where most tourists stay. I also learned more Thai, since I had several opportunities to practice. If you are looking for a hotel in the middle of the action where you are surrounded by other foreigners, want to pay tourist prices, and want to walk very little, do not stay here. Find as place in the old city! If you want to immerse yourself into a TRUE cultural experience, eat better than you ever have for 30 baht, and enjoy the real Thailand life, then stay at Santitham Guest house. i loved this area and would definitely stay there again. The 20 baht you spend on the baht bus called Sonthows that pass by every 5 minutes will be much better than paying 250 baht for the same meal that is 30 baht in this neighborhood, and better quality meals than the tourists experience. This area is where Thai families go to eat! and drink! There is a great English breakfast place down the street called Amazing Sandwich too. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank magic4040
Reviewed 17 July 2013

The hotel is away from touristic area. You are in the middle of local people. You can really spent a whole day walking around seeing their daily activities. The hotel is clean and has comfortable beds. This hotel was a beautiful thai house turned to hotel. Many small things decorated in rooms and hotel made you feel homely. Beautiful garden with small fish pond.

Room Tip: new building
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo