Jonadda Guest House
US$133
LeMeridien.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
De Naga Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$125
US$331
US$442
US$306
Agoda.com
Anantara Chiang Mai Resort(Chiang Mai)
US$294
All reviewshelpful ownersreal milktoast with butterplace to staynice guesthousefruit shakessunday walking marketfirst floormin walkold citylocation is greatstayed here for nightsbrekfastbahttourstoilet
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights in October 2011 and had a very pleasant stay.

After checking out 7-8 guesthouses in the Ratwithi Soi 2 area, I decided to stay at Jonadda as it seemed to have the best rooms for the given price (also, they very kindly offered to keep my heavy backpack while I went guesthouse hunting in the sun!). There were cheaper options available, but the rooms there were not as good.

Single room was not available for the first 2 nights, so I stayed in a larger room meant for 2 people then (350 baht). Thereafter, I shifted to a smaller, single room (200 baht). Both had attached toilets with hot shower, and were fan rooms (no aircon).

Pros:
- Clean rooms in a quiet location
- Very warm and friendly staff (Om) and owner (Panadda) - gave me great travel advice and tips.
- Towel and top sheet were provided
- Nice sit-out areas/terraces
- Nice in-house restaurant if you don't fancy going out in the evening
- Security guard on duty all night in the common area on the ground floor
- Very cute doggies in the house!

Cons:
- The single room did not have a window, only some narrow openings near the ceiling for ventilation
- No elevator, but that seems to be the norm for most guesthouses in Thailand
- Security deposit box could only be accessed till 7pm - I had to come back early a couple of times only to retrieve my laptop! Later, I just left it in my room.
- This is not really Jonadda's fault, but I booked a trekking trip through them which was not great. I'll write a separate review for that.

Overall, I would definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank PG1808
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We were referred to this guest house by friends of ours. We got the same great help from the owners as our friends did, and just wish more places around Thailand could be as hospitable and friendly as Jon and Panadda. Room was good value for the money, and help from staff was 110% helpful.

PROS
- Quiet neighborhood, good nights sleep, good room with fan.
- Good at arranging above-board bike rentals. Jon was really helpful at recommending bike route!
- Close to the market areas, including the Sunday market, and there are loads of restaurants in the area nearby.
- Good locker location, storage while on treks, and laundry/shoe cleaning service available.

CONS
- Water dripping from ceiling of bathroom in our first room, but second room we stayed in was fine.
- Found out our neighbor was paying a fair bit less than we were. Obviously bargaining is not our strong suit.
- This last note is not a fault to the guesthouse at all, but a general notice about the area. Currently there is a thief roaming the nearby alleys at night, who grabs bags off folks from his bike. Talked to another traveler whose friend had her backpack snatched. Just make sure to keep your strap around your neck and on your front and you'll be fine.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tony A
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed for 4 nights here and had a very pleasant stay. The room was large, clean, bright and with possibly the best shower we have had in over 6 months of traveling.

The location is about 7 mins walk from Sunday walking market (a must if you visit chiang Mai and round the corner from the market were it seems all the cooking classes seeto go. Result was inflated prices but plenty of choice for food.

The lady owner was very pleasant and helpful with our many questions although it seems to be company policy to push any and every tour they have. Not uncommon in other places so I've heard so not surprised.

Anyway, our room cost 400 baht and was good value for that money. Saw a couple of rooms in the surrounding area and they were nothing compared to this. Very interesting story of how they managed to build the place, just read it at the back of the menu.

Food was good and drinks not bad as well. All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank LeprechaunLarry
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Found this guest house to be good value for money.

It is owned by an Australian man and his wife who were very friendly and helpful. They both speak good English and gave good advice on tours, trains and buses etc. Though this guest house was slightly more expensive than others in the area it was clean and well presented and the tips and advice from the owners would have saved me money.
I really appreciated that the people here were helpful without being pushy at all.

Had a single room, these have your own bathroom with a decent hot water shower. No t.v or air-con which some people may not like, there is a fan, though that doesn't do a lot to cool the room.

Good location, in a quieter part of town but only 2 minutes walk from the main streets.

There are small security lockers available to guests that fit wallets, small purses and cameras. B.Y.O padlock.
They will also store your suitcase/backpack for you while you are away on tours/treks.

Great value and great tasting breakfasts available. Lunch and dinner also available but I didn't try these so can't comment on that.

Felt very secure there as they employ a night time security guard.

Free internet available. This was quite a slow connection. There were many cheap internet cafe's nearby with faster internet.

Laundry service was available and well priced.

There were plenty of travel guides and tour information plus a book swap in the reception area.

The place is 4 storeys high with no rooms on the ground floor, so you will need to walk up at least 1 flight of stairs to get to your room.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank KiwiTrace
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I had a terrible experience with this guest house. I made a call to the guest house and made a booking. When I asked for my booking reference, she told me that just come over that day and mention you name will do. On the day before my trip, I emailed and double check other stuffs like tour packages provided by the guest house. The owner replied with the tour packages info, but not on my room availability!

On the day I traveled to Chiang Mai, I did mentioned my name to the lobby staff. To my surprised, she told me that, "Yea, I remember you. But our guest didnt check out and we have no room for you now". I was so pissed off with their service. They didnt even bother to call me/ email me regarding the room availability (after she confirmed my booking)!!

It was the most terrible experience I ever had.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family