“Good place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Jonadda Guest House
Ranked #142 of 732 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Breda, The Netherlands
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed at Jonadda Guest House for 2 nights in February '12. We had a twin bedroom with fan which was clean and had some windows overlooking the neighbourhood. The location is nice - close to some bars, but still quiet. The staff is very helpful and friendly, and the breakfast is good value!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank RubennV

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
UK
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I stayed at Jonadda during my first visit to Chiang Mai in 2007.
It had since has my custom 3 times and I recommend it to people going to Chiang Mai.
Panadda has always been friendly and helpful - giving advice on how and where to go as well as booking things for a good price.
I've stayed in pretty much every type of room they've got & they're ALL clean & comfortable.
The staff are all excellent. Really can't fault this place.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jo_thomson
Edmonton
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I stayed in Chiang Mai for 6 days in 3 different locations and Jonadda Guest House was by far the best. We paid 350 baht for a double room with plenty of room, comfy bed, and attached bathroom. There was no a/c but you really don't need it with the chilly nights during the dry season - our fan was more than enough while we slept. The value here is very good with 2 people especially for a clean cozy room with a view.

Location is fantastic with plenty of restaurants, coffee shops, and bars all over. The Lonely Planet temple walk starts about 10 minutes away which is awesome for sightseeing. 7/11 is a 3 min walk for late night snacks and beers. Staff is very friendly and will lock up valuables (retrieve by 7pm if you want them for the night). All night security guard, computer, and friendly dogs in lobby. Beautiful terrace area for relaxing and each floor has a small patio for 2. Wifi is fast and free. One con for limited mobility is no elevator but this is the norm. :( didn't do treks but you can book them in the lobby.

Overall I would strongly recommend this guest house. I would have stayed the whole time but another large group had a booking for our room. Janadda let us check out 2 hours late free of charge because of this and it's our own fault for booking one night at a time. Also want to mention that poor reviews because of bookings not working out are ridiculous - this happens at every guest house I've been to... With plenty of tourists to choose from they are going to give the room to the person with cash in hand instead of waiting on someone who may not show up. Jonadda is a great place in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Dan L
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights in October 2011 and had a very pleasant stay.

After checking out 7-8 guesthouses in the Ratwithi Soi 2 area, I decided to stay at Jonadda as it seemed to have the best rooms for the given price (also, they very kindly offered to keep my heavy backpack while I went guesthouse hunting in the sun!). There were cheaper options available, but the rooms there were not as good.

Single room was not available for the first 2 nights, so I stayed in a larger room meant for 2 people then (350 baht). Thereafter, I shifted to a smaller, single room (200 baht). Both had attached toilets with hot shower, and were fan rooms (no aircon).

Pros:
- Clean rooms in a quiet location
- Very warm and friendly staff (Om) and owner (Panadda) - gave me great travel advice and tips.
- Towel and top sheet were provided
- Nice sit-out areas/terraces
- Nice in-house restaurant if you don't fancy going out in the evening
- Security guard on duty all night in the common area on the ground floor
- Very cute doggies in the house!

Cons:
- The single room did not have a window, only some narrow openings near the ceiling for ventilation
- No elevator, but that seems to be the norm for most guesthouses in Thailand
- Security deposit box could only be accessed till 7pm - I had to come back early a couple of times only to retrieve my laptop! Later, I just left it in my room.
- This is not really Jonadda's fault, but I booked a trekking trip through them which was not great. I'll write a separate review for that.

Overall, I would definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank PG1808
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We were referred to this guest house by friends of ours. We got the same great help from the owners as our friends did, and just wish more places around Thailand could be as hospitable and friendly as Jon and Panadda. Room was good value for the money, and help from staff was 110% helpful.

PROS
- Quiet neighborhood, good nights sleep, good room with fan.
- Good at arranging above-board bike rentals. Jon was really helpful at recommending bike route!
- Close to the market areas, including the Sunday market, and there are loads of restaurants in the area nearby.
- Good locker location, storage while on treks, and laundry/shoe cleaning service available.

CONS
- Water dripping from ceiling of bathroom in our first room, but second room we stayed in was fine.
- Found out our neighbor was paying a fair bit less than we were. Obviously bargaining is not our strong suit.
- This last note is not a fault to the guesthouse at all, but a general notice about the area. Currently there is a thief roaming the nearby alleys at night, who grabs bags off folks from his bike. Talked to another traveler whose friend had her backpack snatched. Just make sure to keep your strap around your neck and on your front and you'll be fine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tony A
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed for 4 nights here and had a very pleasant stay. The room was large, clean, bright and with possibly the best shower we have had in over 6 months of traveling.

The location is about 7 mins walk from Sunday walking market (a must if you visit chiang Mai and round the corner from the market were it seems all the cooking classes seeto go. Result was inflated prices but plenty of choice for food.

The lady owner was very pleasant and helpful with our many questions although it seems to be company policy to push any and every tour they have. Not uncommon in other places so I've heard so not surprised.

Anyway, our room cost 400 baht and was good value for that money. Saw a couple of rooms in the surrounding area and they were nothing compared to this. Very interesting story of how they managed to build the place, just read it at the back of the menu.

Food was good and drinks not bad as well. All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank LeprechaunLarry
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Found this guest house to be good value for money.

It is owned by an Australian man and his wife who were very friendly and helpful. They both speak good English and gave good advice on tours, trains and buses etc. Though this guest house was slightly more expensive than others in the area it was clean and well presented and the tips and advice from the owners would have saved me money.
I really appreciated that the people here were helpful without being pushy at all.

Had a single room, these have your own bathroom with a decent hot water shower. No t.v or air-con which some people may not like, there is a fan, though that doesn't do a lot to cool the room.

Good location, in a quieter part of town but only 2 minutes walk from the main streets.

There are small security lockers available to guests that fit wallets, small purses and cameras. B.Y.O padlock.
They will also store your suitcase/backpack for you while you are away on tours/treks.

Great value and great tasting breakfasts available. Lunch and dinner also available but I didn't try these so can't comment on that.

Felt very secure there as they employ a night time security guard.

Free internet available. This was quite a slow connection. There were many cheap internet cafe's nearby with faster internet.

Laundry service was available and well priced.

There were plenty of travel guides and tour information plus a book swap in the reception area.

The place is 4 storeys high with no rooms on the ground floor, so you will need to walk up at least 1 flight of stairs to get to your room.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo