“Trip highlight for sure!”

Something Different Day Tours
Ranked #38 of 248 Tours in Chiang Mai
Toronto, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Trip highlight for sure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Wanting to do a trek that was a little less touristy we stumbled across something different tours, based on reviews we decided to book. Such a good decision. Highlight of our trip in Thailand. Nat runs an awesome shop with amazing guides. James, Coco, and Tom were awesome. We weren't skilled riders so we each had a driver. We felt safe the entire time and they were so attentive. We didn't see any other tourists the entire time. It was perfect. Definitely a must do. Highly recommended.

Singapore, Singapore
“It's really something different and in a good way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

This has to be the best tour I have ever been to. My friend and I went for 2 one day tours. One is to the north to Doi Suthep and up to the mountains to see Chiang Mai from the top and the other one is to the south to Mae Wang and off road to see the Karen Hill Tribe. My tour guides Pii Phed and Gogo are very friendly and they are very skilled with motorbike. Pii Phed speaks pretty good English and he is pretty knowledgeable about the areas he brought us to. Gogo's English is not very good but I can tell that he is trying his best to converse with us. During the first day, I hit my toe nail in the waterfall, causing my toe nail to come off. They were very helpful with taking care of my injury. After the trip, they even brought me to a clinic to make sure my injury is well taken care of and they even paid for the medical fees as it is claimable from insurance. I'm very grateful for that. For the second day, they keep making sure I'm doing fine. All in all, I just feel that the tour is very different and refreshing from just walking around the city area. The country side is very beautiful and the views from the mountains are just spectacular, so everyone going to Chiang Mai should book this tour to truly appreciate Chiang Mai.

Visited May 2014
perth australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“just do it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife an I have just returned from a 3 week trip to chiang mai, chiang rai, Hcm, Nha Trang and Hoi an.
Our first stop was Chiang Mai where my wife found something different tours on tripadvisor. It sounded pretty good as we are not bus group type tourists and like to get out to and see some of the real country we visit.
We went to the office and organised a 2 day motor bike tour for the next day. As my wife isnt a bike rider we went pillion along with two british girls. We booked this tour as we are not into elephant farms and tame tigers.
We split from the girls at times as their tour was a different plan but met up for meals and at night.
We can honestly say it was one of the best trips we have done.We met with one of the drivers famlies(karin people) then at night we stayed at Nats(manager) mothers farm.
The accomadation was basic but comfortable, the evening meal cooked for us was very very good and tasty. Cicada catching and eating was an added extra.
The drivers were excellent,drove with care and consideration and we also felt safe.
We arrived back in Chiang Mai at about 5.30 the next afternoon after nearly 300km mostly on dirt roads.
By the time we arrived back we can say that we had a bit of skin rubbed off our backsides, we were a bit tired but had the best time.
Thanks again to Nat and Co for this great trip.
Just a small note, my wife and I are 60.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank schnubble
Dublin, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Best part of 3 week trip in Thailand”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I really don't know where to begin with Something Different Tours, it was simply amazing. We travelled around Thailand for three weeks and our four days with them were, without a doubt, the highlight. We did a 4 Day/3 Night Motorbike Adventure and our expectations were blown out of the water. They offer something you just can't get anywhere else.

When we landed in Chaing Mai, we were picked up by someone from Something Different and then stayed the night at their hostel, which is OK, nothing out of the ordinary and is fine for what it is. Some newer rooms were just opened when we arrived but we were upstairs. We enjoyed a few drinks and some food with the group that night. We left our main luggage here before embarking on our 4 day trip and instead brought a small bag.

Our three guides drove the motorbikes at all times as we didn't want to drive at any point. They chatted to us while travelling and pointed out various things along the way to the various locations. As well as being our drivers and guides, they were also our cooks over the four days and the food was delicious.

Although it was lashing rain the first day while driving, we didn't really mind as there was so much to take in in terms of views, the people and the varuious standards of living. We also went rafting on day one and elephant riding, which was a ticking the box exercise really. This was the last time we saw tourists and it was just us after that, which was great.

We stayed at Nat's original home for the first two nights, where you meet his mother and father who are very nice. You can buy drink here, of which we bought plenty. We also tasted some Thai whiskey here, very strong and defintiely knocked us for a while.

We also met some friends of Nat and played cards with them (two of them didn't even speak English), taught them how to play Kings, it was a brilliant night and something you just wouldn't get doing other tours.

We stayed in what were basically little shaks but they were comfy and you have access to a basic toilet and shower.

We also went tubing for a few hours, which was great craic. We were the only ones on the river, along with one of the guides, great fun.

A testament to how super the staff are, one of the girls left their iPod in a shop on Day 1 and only realised after 2 days. One of the lads drove about 90 minutes away to see IF it was still there. Turned out it was and he returned with it, perfectly in tact. He could have not bothered with it but this just shows they try their utmost to make you happy.

On the third day, we visited a Karen village (not the long neck ones), which was probably the highlight of the Something Different Tour. We thought they had tourists call in frequently but it turns out we were the third group that year (it was July) and the locals were fascinated by us.

We wandered around the village, called into the school (it's door was open, the kids were fascinated by us). There's nothing else really to do, it's a really remote village with only a small number of houses.

After a while, we went to the "shop" (a darkened room with shelves with stuff for sale) and bought some sweets and marbles for the children and then went around the village and handed them out the children, who were delighted with their presents. The next day when we were leaving, they were all still playing with them, which was nice.

That night, a group of around 20 locals called over to the house we were staying in for about an hour. They didn't know what we were saying and we didn't know what they were saying but it was a great laugh. We became the tourist attraction. After they all left, we went to "bed", which was a floor with some sheets.

We had really underestimated this part of the tour but it was a fascinating insight into their lives that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

We also stopped at some waterfalls and other such sights with our guides stopping when we asked for photos etc. The views are something else. A stop over at an outdoor spa is also included, which is a nice way to relax at the end of the four days.

Just to note, there is a lot of driving involved and you do start to go numb but it's totally worth it.

From start to finish, Nat and co were professional, courteous and brilliant to interact with. We would highly recommend it, if you have the days to fit it in.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank noelbyrne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Must do for the adventure seekers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Great group of stand-up guys offering an adventure of a lifetime. They treated me like family. I did a one day private motorbike tour through the hillside farms and we off-roaded to catch beautiful views of waterfalls. The guides are very familiar with the routes so they tailor the day to your comfort and skill level. I even got to visit my guide's home in the village and have homemade papaya salad. Highly recommended

Visited March 2014