“Value for money”

Ranked #138 of 736 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Value for money”
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night with my boyfriend in January.

Our double room was just off reception and although small, it was perfect for what we needed and great value for £5 per night. The room was clean and the bed was the comfiest I have slept in while in Asia!

The guesthouse is run by a really friendly (French?) man who was happy to offer advice on things to do. He also booked our bus to Laos and Jaidii's price was the lowest we could find in Chiang Mai. I also really liked the fact that all of the bus fares and excursions were advertised with a fixed price so you knew they weren't just plucking a figure out of their head like I'm sure many travel companies do.

Overall, nice friendly place with a big garden! Would recommend to anyone looking for a budget bed!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Da Nang, Vietnam
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

This place is not luxury by any means! What do you expect for that price?
I stayed for about 5 nights over Christmas and the atmosphere was great! The owner (Marco) is always happy to help and advise as well as interacting with the travellers talking to you about where you've been, paying chess etc! On Christmas Eve he organised a BBQ for everyone and it was a great social event.

All in all, basic accomodation but great backpacker vibe, excellent location and a fab owner - would reccomend.

• Stayed December 2013
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in bungalow. Owner very friendly & helpful. Small, spartan bungalow room (besides bed, only a mat on the floor). No towel provided. 2 electrical outlets. Wifi was not so good in the bungalows. It would work ok for a few minutes & then not work for a few minutes. The only good reception was inside the reception area. 2 shared bathrooms were ok. The water would not go down the drain completely, so wasn’t always so nice in there. The guests were generally really cool people. We spent Christmas holiday here & we had a great time. Went out with a group of them to have good times. Guesthouse had a bbq as well. Atmosphere is excellent. Location is great. Within walking distance of everything you need & many attractions. 35-40 minute walk from the train station. Guesthouse can book just about any kind of trip you want & rent motorbike for cheap. Best prices we’ve seen for transportation elsewhere in Thailand as well (booked a minibus to Pai for 160baht, cheapest we found anywhere). Overall, highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Québec
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed here one week after being moved twice from two other Chiang Mai guesthouses because of overbooking procedures. I stayed here this long because I didn't want to move again and risk not finding a room (this is during very high season), not because I was so comfortable or happy with the hostel.

On the plus side it is very close to Sumphet market and street food (among the best, Barnnakarn, with the best spicy tofu meals I had in Thailand). The guests here are also on the quiet side, most being more mature solo travelers. I was staying in a bungalow in the garden, which was very quiet. Drinking water is also free. It could have been like a little nest or home in Chiang Mai if it wasn't for the cons.

On the minus side, as stated by other reviewers, the stench from the toilet and the ground (which is always wet) in terrible. Fortunately it didn't reach my bungalow, but it made sitting out in the garden not really pleasant. I can only imaging the smell in those those rooms facing the toilet area.

Beds are rock hard and bungalows are plain, with no shelves, reading lights, or even a screen in the window. So you get lots of night visitors like geckos and insects. Also every time my neighbor would turn his outdoor neon light on it would flash in my room like a spot light and wake me up. I mentioned it to the owner who didn't do anything about it.

I am an "old timer" rough traveller and not very difficult as far as accommodation goes, but I don't think I would recommend this hostel because of my overall experience there. The charm of the old city and the location is what made it acceptable.

Room Tip: Stay in the from dorms, top floor or bungalows in the back. Avoid all ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Corvuscorona
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Jai Dii House, Soi 6 Market, laundry, transportation It was the two day stay that became thirteen very easily. Nice single rooms, dorms, balconies, private or shared bath worked well. It’s comfortable with the daily market at the end of the street and kilo/30baht everywhere. I paid 250 baht/night for clean single room, balcony, queen sized bed and did eat at the market daily. Thai boxing is every day except Sunday. There is a daily Night Bizarre from 6p-12a. There is a big, busy Sunday Market from 6p-12a Quiet time is after 11p and you get a key to the house night gate. All nice staff speak English clearly. The location, multi-lingual staff, price, people, markets, proximity to everything work well. This location has the prices and expedience for all the tours and transportation readily available; you may relax. Across the moat, outside the Old City do exist night spots and most everything else including book shops, stores and or other. I give it an excellent as it really worked well. (Oct 2013)

Room Tip: Dorm room or single room; with or without bathroom Outside bungalow, house room or new dorm buildin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Myself and some friends were in Chiang Mai for a week, and came across this guesthouse.

The price is fantastic, the location is ideal, and they offer loads of tours and information on local attractions. We booked a few things here and got a discounted price from what we had seen advertised elsewhere.

The staff are so friendly and helpful, and the guests were also nice, creating a great atmosphere for our visit.
I would 100% stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RhiRa
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Staff is friendly and has a range of activities on offer. The rooms are decent, though not all as nice. The huts are a bit grotty, the downstairs rooms a bit dark, but the upstairs room with the balcony on two sides is airy and light. Though still only comes with a fan.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo