“Unforgettable luxury”

137 Pillars House Chiang Mai
Ranked #1 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

We just returned from a 4 day stay at 137 Pillars House and loved everything about it. The staff are extremely friendly, the food was good, and the suite we had was just beyond words. If we didn't have kids to come back to, we wouldn't have wanted to leave!

We had the Louis Leonowins suite on the ground floor facing one end of the pool. It was quiet in spite of it being so close to the pool. The suite was so spacious my husband joked about not being able to find me! The bed was humongous and extremely comfortable.

The bathtub was cavernous and accommodated 2 comfortably. It was well thought-out, with the faucets mounted on the side rather than the ends of the tub so that 2 can rest comfortably on the sides rather than have to dodge the faucets.

The outdoor shower was lovely. There was an indoor shower as well, and the wc was in a separate space. The area where the double wash basins were was huge and carpeted and there was also a small walk in wardrobe.

Our suite had a private pool. It was small, but possible to do short laps in. My only complaint, if I were forced to complain, would be the size of the pool.

The living area was large, and so was the patio. I was pleasantly surprised to find such a nice selection of books in the room- biographies of Steve Jobs, Aung San Suu Kyi and the Thai king, books on fine watches, wine, tropical houses, teas instead of the usual fashion magazines which may still be found in the main dining area and library.

The suite was so well appointed that we were more than contented spending most of our time in there. There was a coffee machine and a complimentary bottle of wine and a fine selection of teas. Coffee and tea were replenished daily. An unlimited supply of bottled water was provided throughout our stay.

We had 2 large tvs in the suite- one in the living room and one in the bedroom. There was also a Yamaha sound system in both the living area and bedroom. There was an iPod in the living area preloaded with loads of soothing songs. You could play your iPhone in the one in the bedroom.

I spent an afternoon at the spa which was extremely enjoyable. Ming, my masseuse, was extremely good and professional.

I read a previous review of someone's bad experience with booking. That was not our experience at all. My husband and I made separate bookings on different days through the hotel's website without any problem at all. I then had to cancel one booking, which was also easy through the website.

This is definitely the place to stay in Chiang Mai if you want a peaceful and luxurious retreat. It's close to many restaurants if you care to venture out, but is so self contained you don't have to even step out in order to have a wonderful time. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Mrsfootloose

998 - 1,004 of 1,220 reviews

Reviewed 15 October 2012

After a months of hard work and stress we definitely needed to get away for a complete break that was peaceful, quiet and value for money; we chose 137Pillars House in Chiang Mai because of all the excellent reviews--we trust tripadvisor.

We duly tried to book a suite and asked for a quiet room, which we thought would be a formality. We had made it clear that we were prepared to pay for an upgrade to achieve that.

We received a reply that puzzled us, in that it said the only rooms where we would experience any noise were those near local restaurants, and the hotel would supply us with ear plugs, but they couldn't reserve us a room in one of the quiet ones as they didn't have many rooms, and, effectively, we would have to take our chances when we booked in. However, we could book into the William Bain suite which was very quiet, but would be an extra 18,000 THB--extra per night, (£365) that would, more or less, make it twice the price of one in either the Rajah Brooke or East Borneo suites.

That was totally unacceptable and so I wrote to them asking whether they were telling us that our options were, either to take 'pot luck' on the two types of suite, or, book into the William Bain suite, just to be able to sleep without ear plugs.

I received an apologetic reply from the manager, Tan, who said that by way of compensation he would reduce the price of the WB suite to 15,000 THB (£304) extra per night; again more or less doubling the price.

I wrote back to him saying that it seemed to me that they were telling us that the only way to make sure of quiet room was by booking into much more expensive suite ,and, as we were now pretty disillusioned with the hotel, we were not prepared to do that, and asked him to cancel our booking.

After a few days and receiving no reply, I was worried that we could be charged for the room anyway, so I wrote again to Tan informing him of our disappointment at not receiving a reply and confirmation that our booking had, in fact, been cancelled, and asked him to confirm the cancellation by return. He did so with an extremely apologetic email, telling me that he could not cancel the booking as it was with someone else, and advised us to cancel with them--which we immediately did. Sadly, we did not get to check out the great reviews on a stay at 137, which we regret.

However, be careful my friends, you could end up with a much needed break that increases your stress levels considerably, or, having to pay for two holidays instead of one when you get back, increasing your stress levels exponentially.

We immediately re-booked into the Nam Hai, a hotel in Vietnam, and what a difference we encountered. They were clear, very welcoming, efficient and very helpful, suggesting a package we accepted, which actually reduced the overall price, with the possibility of a free upgrade depending on availability.

Will it be as good as some of the reviews for 137? Time will tell, and I will let you know when we return, but where there is no doubt, at all, is that the Hai Nam reservations office is streets ahead of 137 Pillars House; we know exactly what we will be getting, and are very much looking forward to going there to bring our stress levels back to normal.

Watch this space!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank MdsOxford
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We're admitted Four Seasons junkies, especially when traveling in Asia, but thanks to the reviews on Trip Advisor and a desire to stay closer to the city, we decided to try 137 Pillars House for our stay in Chiang Mai this month. What a great decision - and Trip Advisor comes through again.

This new hotel is absolutely perfect, from the moment they meet you at the airport to the minute they drop you off. The hotel is an oasis of calm, luxury, and quietude just across the river from the old city. We did the 15 minute walk a couple times, other times the hotel called us a tuk-tuk for the 5 minute ride. Just the perfect distance to be able to get away, yet still be convenient enough to jump into town for a quick lunch. The rooms are very modern, in low bungalows set around the restored Pillars House that is used for meals. Very nice ambiance.

The rooms are phenomenal and as someone else mentioned, it's one of the few places you stay where you wish you could afford to install some of the features and luxuries into your own house. The perfect lighting system, the humongous mirror in the tub area (the room had to have been built around it!), even down to the tasteful selection of books on the bookshelves in each room. The outdoor shower was my favorite feature, although my wife preferred the also-included traditional indoor shower. The bed was exceptionally comfy and the walls and floors exceptionally sound proof - important to us as the wife is a very light sleeper.

The service was very similar in style to what you'd expect at the Four Seasons - always there the instant you needed it without being too in-your-face like you get at the Ritz (which is why we prefer Four Seasons). Everyone knows your name, by the end of the first day they know your preferences, the entire staff is empowered to do whatever it takes to make your stay perfect. The staff arranged a great tour of various temples and the hill tribe village. The breakfast was a combination of buffet and make-to-order food, with a great selection. We ate lunch and dinner a couple times and the food was great then as well.

I honestly can't say anything negative. The first night we had one squeaky fan in the bathroom, which was fixed minutes after we mentioned it.

137 Pillars House is definitely the top place to stay while visiting Chiang Mai. I can't recommend it highly enough. Very nice job - keep up the good work. And thanks Trip Advisor for coming through again!

Room Tip: It's a boutique hotel so all rooms are good. We had the William Bain Terrace Suite, which was f...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LeanCEO
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Spent 5 wonderful days here in September after Vietnam and it was such a great vacation! The staff was so welcoming and friendly . (the welcome drink was yummy too) I got sick while I was here and not only did they help me with the pharmacy a staff member walked with us to the pharmacy. Stayed while I got the medication, made sure I understood all of the instructions and when I got back to my suite I had hot water,lemon and honey waiting for me.
Thialand is not a first world country but you would not know it by this hotel. It is well appointed and the food was exceptional, I still miss the giant outdoor shower! When I come back to Thialand I will visit again! My one regret, I don't think we tipped the staff enough :(

Room Tip: We stayed in room #20 it was close to the pool and breakfast ,room #17 has a coy pond both have nice...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bemikes
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Very beautiful and lush setting. Staff went beyond their way to help us and make us feel welcome. I was offered free 15-mn massage while I was sitting by the pool. Unlimited a la carte breakfast was a real treat, and so good. I even broke a lamp by accident and it was replaced upon my return to the hotel, and the staff were more worried about my safety and my being uninjured than about the lamp. One day, back from Tiger Kingdom, I couldn't transfer my pictures from a CD t my computer and the nice man at reception offered to come to my suite with his laptop and personally assisted me in transferring my pictures. How's that for service ? If i'm ever back in Chiang Mai, I will definitely come back to 137 pillars house. Meanwhile, I will keep advising my friends to go there. And did I mention it's close to lively nightlife (Riverside) ?
Thank you all for a memorable stay.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank HassanBen
Reviewed 8 October 2012

SPA:

The Great-E-S-T Spa I have ever tried so far. The Spa house is a two-storied structure hosting only 3 rooms (2 single ones on the upper ground while the other double one on the ground). Each is impeccably furnished and features truly good timber walls as well as spick-and-span bathrooms. The three female masseuses, who look so decent and amicable, must have been hand-picked from somewhere widely recognized in this amazing country, astonished me so much that I enjoyed each moment under their palms heartily. The SPA Manager, Nok, is also knowledgeable in all material respects and added a fine touch to this already-unbelievable experience. Massage oils are Aromatherapy from Britain. In my observation, this SPA is even better than the Peninsula Bangkok.

Accommodation:

The room is a visual pleasure at first sight. Colonial style with sophistication in every detail. The tub helps you re-embrace a sense of self-indulgence long lost in nauseating urban life. Showers indoor and outdoor offer a pleasantly robust water pressure. Toilet is in my appreciated brand - Kohler.

Food:

The only restaurant appears in chic design, featuring dark-brown rattan chairs and grassy-green cushions as well as an amazing Oriental-style chandelier. Breakfast is supplied in both buffet and a la carte. You may think the varieties are a bit limited UNTIL you try those great choices on the a la carte menu. The 137 Signature Crepes is such a great preparation, in particular.

Gym and Pool:

Quiet, smart and unique. The pool has a standing background wall on one side, which is covered by an eyeful of verdant rampant leaves, being irrigated by hidden sprinklers. The most pleasant time for a swim is around 6:00 p.m., where you will most probably have the entire pool to your good self. Remember: this is a 30-suite-only small but luxury hotel. Just relax by stretching your fatigued body in water and hear some water drops from the wall into the pool water. Gym is for use around the clock, which is a big WOW factor. Though small, it is enclosed by glass doors on the four sides on a subsided level, hence a well-balanced sense of space and privacy.

Library:

The butler, Mod, is quite a good embodiment of Thai friendliness and hospitality. He answers questions convincingly, helps shoot little troubles immediately, and introduces the hotel and the city intriguingly.

Staff:

Each and every one, ranging from all receptionists in the front desk to the florists, is SOOOOO friendly and GENUINELY smiley. You feel that they would live to host you with a heart.

I am definitely sure that I will be back here next year.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Duncan J
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Quaint and just what we needed. We couldn't have asked for a better experience. Nothing bad to report.
Highly recommended.
Great staff.
Good service.
Loved playing backgammon in the library.
Definitely would go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple