“I think this restaurant has closed down”

Gogi Jib - Stone Grill Barbecue
Ranked #1,446 of 2,042 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, Korean, Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Gogi Jib - Stone Grill Barbecue, a Korean bbq table service buffet restaurant designed to offer traditional Korean food in a modern, comfortable space. Regular Buffet (choices of 3 pork cuts) ~ 299. Premium Buffet (choice of beef or pork) ~ 399. Both buffets include unlimited freshly made Korean side dishes. Other Korean dishes available along with barbecue. Beer, wine, soju, mokoli, soft drinks available. Located right at Thapae Gate (not where the google map shows) ~ easy to find and guaranteed great food and service! Opening hours : Mon-Fri 5pm to 11:30pm (Tuesday closed) Sat and Sun 11:30am to 11pm
Genoa, Italy
“I think this restaurant has closed down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I went looking for this restaurant for about half an hour walking up and down- I couldn't find it and went back onto the web and found another local site that says it has closed and a Spanish restaurant called Rioja has taken its old location.
The restaurant website (facebook) is still up and running- a bit surprising that the owners didn't notify prospective customers there as I had checked that and it was advertising a Happy Hour between 5pm and 7pm!!!!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank JohnandOuti

New York City, New York
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

We visited Gogi Jib in February 2012 and loved it! I planned to write a glowing review at the time but never got around to it. I came back to find the name so I could recommend it to a friend who is going to Chiang Mai in March and was so shocked to see the negative reviews that I wanted to add my two cents.

I thought Gogi Jib was amazing - both the food and the service were fantastic. Aaron was lovely and, despite every table being occupied, spent a great deal of time speaking with us about how they started the business, etc. We love Korean BBQ, so didn't need a tutorial, so the conversation was much more personal and we really enjoyed getting to know both him and his wife a bit.

The quality of the meat, flavor, atmosphere (so clean!), and overall experience was fantastic. I plan to recommend this restaurant to every person I know who plans to visit Chiang Mai. Hope to make it back at some point myself!

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank beth m
Portland, Oregon
“Owner Attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Funny, I was thinking of going to restaurant until I actually read the owner's responses to the reviews. So rude! Korean BBQ restaurants are all around the world and travelers have every right to compare one to the other. They usually are fun like roachlette in Switzerland or Thali in India. Travelers spend thousands of dollars to get to Thailand and also have every right to share what they deem not worth their money.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank Diana K
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Second return showed true colors of this place.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

Our second return to Goji Jib was sad. The owner was a total different person in mood as we first noticed with very passive aggressive comments towards us about how to cook the meat and such. We were there a day before and saw the entire process. Not a big deal but it went from bad to worse. The lady accidentally burnt him at our table and he lost it, you could see the rage in his eyes. 10 minutes later or so he was grabbing her aggressively at the bar saying "you are not listening to me" almost yelling as we are right there....she was in tears at this point, crying pretty hard... Very uncomfortable. As bad as it is, it gets way worse. Time passes and they take conversation in the back room and it gets ugly. We hear hear her screaming, like top of her lungs screaming. This goes on for five ten minutes or so, I didn't know if I was to call the cops or what. Clearly the most uncomfortable I have ever been in any restaurant setting period, the lack of professionalism still is just mindblowing. Clearly the situation was way off, but this type of behavior is abusive and shouldn't exist anywhere in the world in any situation.

There was one other couple at the restaurant, they were American too trying to enjoy a romantic meal. Nobody was saying anything as we all listened to this go down, pretty much in shock. After five minutes or so, guy at table next to us turns and says, "so it's safe to say you will never come back here again". We are like yeah no chance, then he asks what we should do. He was ready to go back and break it up, whatever was going on it sounded physical. Needless to say there isn't any service, empty drinks around, and def not all u can eat. At this point we don't care. We didn't see the lady rest of the night, Aaron came down and acted rude and put off for a bit. We finally paid the bill and left, sad situation.

Information is power and my motivation for this review is to inform people of my experience here. I wish this place all the best, and hope things are going better. I just don't want to support and enable behavior like this with my hard earned money. Hope you guys are turning it around.

• Visited January 2012
4 Thank Cursive9
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Didn't ring any bells.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

At first I was thrilled at the idea of a Korean BBQ buffet here in Chiang Mai. I LOVE buffets, and especially one that includes table top grilling! One of my favorite meals of all time was at the beautiful red brick, century+ old Sapporo Beer factory in Sapporo, Japan, the "Gengis Kahn Buffet". Same kind of deal... all you could cook on a table top grill and all the fresh draft Sapporo Beer you could drink in 100 minutes in their cavernous dining room! And was having flashbacks of that fabulous, fattening evening so many years ago. But sadly, my experience was not to be repeated at Gogi Jib.

Upon first entering saw that while clean and compact, perhaps 8 tables, it was really nothing fancy. The ambiance was pretty basic: Small room with tables, a service bar and a drink cooler. No matter... It seemed like a small but nice enough homespun operation that could turn out to be pretty good. So we sat down.

Then I saw the prices about fell over. Holy Moly! They rivaled those of the some of the finest dining establishments and 5 star restaurants in Chiang Mai. When I asked why the steep costs we were told very affirmatively that it was very fair for what it took to put this sort of restaurant and this type of meal together and how the prices were the minimum they needed to charge in order to make a profit. Not really a fun conversation or way to start off our meal. We felt on the defensive, a bit uncomfortable and somewhat obligated to order. So we did.

I'll spare the details as many others have already reviewed that drill here. I love great meats but nothing here shifted my tastebuds into "divine" gear, which is what one would hope for when paying top money. In the end, my take on the place was the food was decent enough, we got plenty full... but very sadly, no "Wow" factor to speak of. A novel idea, acceptable eating, but just very overpriced.

In this little city for that kind of money there are quite a few very nice places with fabulous variety of wonderful dishes and flair where one can go spend an evening, dining in comfy ambiance and to while away the evening. Unfortunately, there is really nothing of that caliber going on here. I feel sorry for the owners. Nice people. But Gogi Jib is just another little roadside eatery, one with a good idea that misses the mark of being a special, secret little place.

• Visited February 2012
3 Thank yeeowww
Aaron F, Owner at Gogi Jib - Stone Grill Barbecue, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank for your review of a Japanese BBQ in Japan. While both restaurants have BBQ in common, that's where the similarity ends. Also, let's put the pricing in context. How much was that meal in Japan for one person: $20, $30, $40? You paid less than $15 per person at Gogi Jib including drinks! We serve Charolai French beef, not Thai beef and the quality is evident to every customer who has tried our food. We do realize that we cost a bit more than the Thai restaurants and pubs in the area, however, if you go to any decent steak house or restaurant that serves a good steak you will pay much more ($20-$25 without drinks) of the exact same quality. So why so shocked at my beef BUFFET (as in ALL YOU CAN EAT) for 595 thb or beef & pork buffet for 425thb? Our alacarte menu starts at a very low 175thb for pork and the highest is 475thb for the beef.

We always love to read reviews from those who have never tried to operate a restaurant, especially here in Thailand. It's always good for a nice chuckle. And also interesting that some of our best reviews have come from those with that experience.

Please, readers of TA, if you want something besides Thai food, pizza or burgers, we promise you will not be disappointed!

Cheers and thank you for the nice yarn.