“Excellent service and helpful staff!”

Chiangmai Backpack House
Ranked #342 of 825 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I was doing my fieldwork in villages around Chiang Mai so it is necessary for me to find an affordable place that I can stay for as long as I want. This place is DEFINITELY a place for me to call home - Tony, the owner, and his wife are so warm and friendly that makes you feel so welcomed. I can always approach them whenever I need help. Besides that, being strategically located in the city and having free wifi are two major plus points for travellers like me to be able to explore the city easily and to do research on any trip plans that pop up of my mind. Highly recommended for any backpackers who are seeking for an affordable place to stay. Oh and lastly, I made two international friends on just a few days staying there. That was cool!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Vonyi

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I stayed for a couple weeks in summer time of 2012. The owners are super nice and will help you out with everything! The food is yummy too! Great location close to everything and a great price on rooms!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two weeks over the Songkran period and then again for a couple of nights after getting back from Pai and leaving Chiang Mai. We stayed in a double room, which cost 250THB per night - great value and the cheapest we could find. It was a large fan room, with a wardrobe, table and chair, bedside table, and a balcony.
The low price is reflected in some ways: there's no air conditioning and during April Thailand is HOT! We did have a few uncomfortable, sleepless nights because of this, not helped by the uncomfy mattress and the traffic on the main road out front. However, as I'll go on to explain, the owner is incredibly generous and one of the (many) things he did for us was to give us a 2nd fan, which did help. The shared bathrooms were fine: sometimes they could have been cleaner, as could the floors of the corridors etc, but the showers worked well. You'll need your own toilet paper, but they provide bath towels.
We ate at the hostel quite a lot and the food is really good: lots of yummy stuff to choose from for breakfast, lunch and dinner (Thai and western). The WiFi was free and although it dropped from time to time it was usable. The location was excellent: outside of the Old City but just across the road from Chiang Mai gate.
Now onto the family who run CBH. Tony and Oi are the owners and they have an adorable little girl. Together they make this hostel what it is: a lovely place to stay. None of the small negative points I've expressed above were much of a problem in the face of these lovely people who, from the moment we arrived until the moment we left, made our stay extremely pleasurable. From providing first aid care to people who have come off their bikes to giving all guests staying during the Songkran festival free use of their water guns/buckets etc, from taking us to Doi Suthep temple and into the mountains to see a Hmong village and coffee plantation to inviting us to their temple with them on New Years Day, from making us a packed lunch of spring rolls for our bus ride to Pai to driving us to the bus station on our last day, and just generally being delightful company - they couldn't do enough for us.
This is the perfect backpacker spot as Tony and his family create a wonderful, welcoming environment where you can learn about the local culture and meet lots of people. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Chiangmai Backpack House to anyone who is looking for somewhere cheap and friendly: this is it!
Also, they're installing a/c in all the rooms soon so that's one more reason. If coming back to Chiang Mai, this is where we'll head.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

We've been travelling now for three months and this was the best, nicest, friendliest place we have stayed in that time. We actually stayed twice, once over Songkran and once a week before. Tony, the owner, and his family were extremely helpful, friendly and accommodating. An example of this occurred when a bus to Pai booked through the guesthouse was going to be slightly late, we were informed of this the night before and told that we would not have to check out until the bus arrived even though this time was after check out time.

Even if I had an endless budget I would stay here. It made our trip to Chiang Mai so much better!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this place during the songkarn. The Thai new year! And I can definitely recommend this place. The staff is awesome. They help you before you need any help. Every time the staff has good recommendations what to in chiang Mai. In addition the food is also very. There is only one thing which is a little bit bad. This place has currently no aircon. But they will install it this year. I come back! Love this place!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The best thing about Chiang Mai Backpack house is the owner Tony. He really made our 2 week stay there something special. Not only was he a great host, he drove us around Chiang Mai, taking us to the Tiger Sanctuary and other sights. The rooms are cheap, it's in the heart of Chiang Mai and the food is tasty tasty.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Staying at the nearby Castle hotel and went round the corner for a bite to eat. Had a very sleepy 3 1/2 year old in tow. The place did not look too enticing but fatigue meant we wanted something quick and did not want to walk much further.
Although a hostel, there were plenty of people sitting outside eating so we gave the place a try. Very pleasantly surprised. The food was very good and we could order things not on the menu and to our taste. Bill came in at a very reasonable 350 baht (~£8) for 3 beers, smoothie, 2 main courses and 2 puds.
Staff very helpful and chatty (excellent English), and accommodated, at that point, a very asleep child. They moved fans around for us and we were even given a lift back to our hotel by the owner. What service!
Only slight negative was that the bathroom sink looked a little grubby and there was no way of drying your hands (but given the heat not a real problem).
I know it is only a snap shot, but it was a good random pick.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family