Chiangmai Backpack House
US$209
US$170
Hotels.com
Bodhi Serene Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$156
US$44
HolidayInn.com
US$186
US$43
Rainforest Boutique(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
US$34
US$33
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We arrived at the hostel and were greeted by very friendly staff and straight away a guy helped us book a trek nearby and a cooking class for that evening; he even phoned up some places for us to find a free course. The rooms were affordable, clean and secure for leaving bags and valuables etc.. free WIFI, hot showers, great affordability and extremely friendly and helpful staff helped our stay run smoothly and the trek we booked through them was a great success too. they even let use a room on returning from our trek to shower and clean up for free. Altogether I would 100% recommend chiangmai backpack house for their great prices and lovely staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JordanRound
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Awesome stay with Tony at Chiangmai backpackers! The staff is awesome and went out of their way to make my stay as enjoyable as possible. Good location, WIFI internet, and good value restaurant in house. Would definitely recommend to those on a budget!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I was doing my fieldwork in villages around Chiang Mai so it is necessary for me to find an affordable place that I can stay for as long as I want. This place is DEFINITELY a place for me to call home - Tony, the owner, and his wife are so warm and friendly that makes you feel so welcomed. I can always approach them whenever I need help. Besides that, being strategically located in the city and having free wifi are two major plus points for travellers like me to be able to explore the city easily and to do research on any trip plans that pop up of my mind. Highly recommended for any backpackers who are seeking for an affordable place to stay. Oh and lastly, I made two international friends on just a few days staying there. That was cool!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Vonyi
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I stayed for a couple weeks in summer time of 2012. The owners are super nice and will help you out with everything! The food is yummy too! Great location close to everything and a great price on rooms!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two weeks over the Songkran period and then again for a couple of nights after getting back from Pai and leaving Chiang Mai. We stayed in a double room, which cost 250THB per night - great value and the cheapest we could find. It was a large fan room, with a wardrobe, table and chair, bedside table, and a balcony.
The low price is reflected in some ways: there's no air conditioning and during April Thailand is HOT! We did have a few uncomfortable, sleepless nights because of this, not helped by the uncomfy mattress and the traffic on the main road out front. However, as I'll go on to explain, the owner is incredibly generous and one of the (many) things he did for us was to give us a 2nd fan, which did help. The shared bathrooms were fine: sometimes they could have been cleaner, as could the floors of the corridors etc, but the showers worked well. You'll need your own toilet paper, but they provide bath towels.
We ate at the hostel quite a lot and the food is really good: lots of yummy stuff to choose from for breakfast, lunch and dinner (Thai and western). The WiFi was free and although it dropped from time to time it was usable. The location was excellent: outside of the Old City but just across the road from Chiang Mai gate.
Now onto the family who run CBH. Tony and Oi are the owners and they have an adorable little girl. Together they make this hostel what it is: a lovely place to stay. None of the small negative points I've expressed above were much of a problem in the face of these lovely people who, from the moment we arrived until the moment we left, made our stay extremely pleasurable. From providing first aid care to people who have come off their bikes to giving all guests staying during the Songkran festival free use of their water guns/buckets etc, from taking us to Doi Suthep temple and into the mountains to see a Hmong village and coffee plantation to inviting us to their temple with them on New Years Day, from making us a packed lunch of spring rolls for our bus ride to Pai to driving us to the bus station on our last day, and just generally being delightful company - they couldn't do enough for us.
This is the perfect backpacker spot as Tony and his family create a wonderful, welcoming environment where you can learn about the local culture and meet lots of people. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Chiangmai Backpack House to anyone who is looking for somewhere cheap and friendly: this is it!
Also, they're installing a/c in all the rooms soon so that's one more reason. If coming back to Chiang Mai, this is where we'll head.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple