“Lovely family guesthouse”

Chiangmai Backpack House
Ranked #256 of 788 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I chose this guesthouse because after going in for a good value breakfast one day (90THB for a pot of tea, a bowl of chicken rice soup, 2 toast with butter and jam and a glass of mango juice) and using it to do my laundry (it was almost half the price of my other hostel, and even though it was after the 2pm cut-off point, they endeavoured to get it clean for the following day), we had to change hostels as ours was booked. We remembered the good value, the central location, and of course the family's eagerness to help us with any questions or queries we had. We stayed for three nights and spent a lot of time in the communal area at the front, using the free wi-fi and computer to research our route. The guesthouse wasn't as fancy as our last one but it was cheaper yet better located which is rare. The rooms were basic but very spacious and couldn't be faulted and unlike the last review, I thought the hostel was clean and well maintained. I in fact saw the staff cleaning several times during the day. Every night I had a sound night's sleep. Security was a very strong point at the hostel: there was CCTV in the hallway and a gate at the entrance was locked every night at 2am. A security guard kept watch and the shutters were brought down too. There was a notice saying to let the staff know if you were staying elsewhere or likely to return later than 2am, so that if you didn't return there'd be a cause for concern. The best thing about this hostel by far though and the thing that made our stay fantastic was the staff; the owner, Tony, is lovely, ever so friendly and always trying to go out of his way to help you and he gives you good local advice. His family is so sweet and can't do enough for you. At reading a bad review 2 days ago he was truly devastated, and my 2 friends and myself felt it completely unjustified. Because of the '2 way mirror' comment he has had to remove it from the wall so as not to concern and/or deter othe guests, which in turn inconveniences guests who want a full length mirror in the room. Since I've been travelling this has been one of the best guesthouses, especially for service, and thought it a shame that such a lovely family were portrayed in an inaccurate and bad light.

Room Tip: We were a group of 3 girls and so got a four person dorm - just 120THB each and we got the room to o...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Wow!! After reading the reviews on here and then seeing what goes for acceptable, let alone a high rated hostel, nowadays, I'm floored. Seriously floored.

Yes, the owner and his family/employees are friendly and interested from the start. That's what impressed me when I first arrived. Wi-fi works well in the room. But let's face it, that place hasn't been CLEANED since who knows when. I asked the owner if the rooms were cleaned every day because I was tired of staying in guesthouses which weren't. He told me the rooms are cleaned twice a day. What a flippin' joke!! The floor in the dorm hasn't been swept in days, it hasn't been mopped in longer (same thing for the hallways and stairs). The bathroom wasn't cleaned (the same old toiletries sat in there for days) and toilet paper only seemed to be supplied in a limited number of the bathrooms. There was an over-sized mirror (which looks much like a 2-way mirror) in our dorm which was definitely ready for a cleaning. Disgusting to know this is how he keeps his own house. And finally, the beds. Let's just say that springy, springy best described them. Not bouncy, bouncy, but springs in your back, springy. When she changed the sheets, it didn't look like it, bu those mattresses are gone.

The last generation of travelers never would have given this place a thumbs up. It's sad what this new generation is accepting as "great" and "lovely". $120 dorm, $130 female dorm. Better dorms can definitely be found in the area. I'm giving this a 2.5.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed in a double room with shared bathroom. Cheapest place we had stayed at since starting our travels in Thailand. The bathrooms are clean and they have a good restaurant/chill out area down stairs. The owner is very helpful....I got a nasty ant/spider/mosquito bite on my elbow that swelled up like a tennis ball, he told me were the pharmacy was and what to buy and gave me some alcohol cleaning wipes....the swelling had gone the next day. It is nicely situated on the old city wall road so easy access to the old town or the bars and restaurants outside the walls. They also offer bicycle and motorbike hire.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed in a dorm with 8 beds and 4 fans. Dorm is large enough, but the bathroom was not clean like I thought. But totally It was a lovely place to stay with a small garden in front of and mini bar, best price for backpackers. I enjoyed my time there in Songkran, and it was inconvenience cause I could not check in at 3pm, full of water. It is not far from the center and you can walk around (temples, night market, bar, coffee...) to see peaceful Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Tony, the owner is very personable, intelligent, respectful, and helpful! He is always available to be engaged about anything in Chaing Mai. He can direct you to the best coffee (Happy Espresso) or the best century eggs in the city. His service makes the whole place perfect! He and his wife go out of their way to be sure the rooms and bathrooms are clean and the food is good. Also, ask him about "cedoor".

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

I value people that like to be good hosts, I appreciate and have a deep respect for authentic local hospitality, and more important, people who make your experience a moment that stays forever in your memories and in your heart. At this place, that I called now my second home in Thailand you will feel treated like if you were at home, you will have expert advice locally and in the region, as well as fresh food that you can enjoy with great company! If you enjoy a deep conversation, a great place to meet interesting people, or a place to book an extreme adventure, this is the place. Im definitely coming back!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Cant say a bad word! Tony and his wife are lovely and so helpful! I cut my leg whilst I was there and they would clean it for me and give me advice on how to keep it clean and not infected. They booked trips for us , and taxis which drove us around all day to the sights we wanted to see! We were 3 girls and stayed in a 4 bed dorm for 130 baht a night. Its the cheapest place I've stayed in, and was perfect for backpackers who need a base to stay. Great location, close to the Sunday night market. close to 7 elevens, lots of street food nearby also.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends