“Not as I expected”

Nimman Mai Design Hotel by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #87 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“Not as I expected”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I am quite disappointed for this hotel. Thanks for the courtersy and smile of hotel staffs so that I could not yell at them but it's not good enough for me to give a good rating for this hotel. The hotel is located a bit far from the main street especially if you have to carry your luggage. I arrived the hotel around 3.30pm and found that my room was not ready. As the hotel positions itself at 4-star, I think every rooms should be ready for check-in by that time. I was waiting for about 20 mins before decided to stroll around and came back around 4.30pm. The room was not so bad but it was not as good as I expected for the design hotel. Give a big hand for hotel interior designer for the light setting and decoration which are good for photographing, not for real eyes. I found later that there were no bathroom supplies (soap, shampoo, ...) in my bathroom. The maid brought them to me with a smile apology after I called the reception. The dvd player in the room didn't function properly, the cable was not connected to the TV. The hotel technician spent about 30 mins to fix it. Hot water was not working but I was tired to call. Next morning, I found there was no fried egg for the american breakfast buffet. They provided either scrumbled eggs or fried eggs for each day, which again I think the 4-star hotel should have both everyday. Before I checked out, I found the electricity was out and I could not bring my luggage down by elevator. Thanks for the hotel staffs again for helping me to carry my luggage down. It was not a pleasant experience with this hotel. If you would like to experience a styled hotel, I would not recommend this hotel. It's just a normal hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
NimmanMaiHotel, Owner at Nimman Mai Design Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Thank you for sparing your time in completing our Feedback Form and bringing this matter to our attention. Your comments will help us serve you and our entire guest better in the future.

We apologize for the annoyance/inconvenience that this may have caused to you. The hotel is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.We continue to be committed to provide you and all our guests with the highest standard of service in the industry. We look forward to your continued patronage and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.
Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
ิกรุงเทพ
Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

With 2 nights stay in this hotel can tell me its new. New staffs, room facilities and design make us impressed. However many funny points such as safety box on the floor, very tiny pool in a lobby (should I wear a swimming suite in the lobby?) it is not hopeless at all, the staffs are nice, friendly and helpful. Room design is second of none but some rooms need more practical design such as a big bed in a tiny room. Food (breakfast) is ok but please do not expect for variety. The most reason we should stay this hotel is walking distance to Nimman Hemin Rd. Book it when you get a good price will make you proud.

• Stayed December 2012
NimmanMaiHotel, Manager at Nimman Mai Design Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Thank you for your comment and your stay at our Nimman Mai? Design Hotel I will be passing on your feedback to my team. I was delighted that you liked your overall experience our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back personally on your next visit.

Reviewed 8 December 2012

Stayed here for one night at the beginning of December. Amazing, very clean rooms with lovely soft beds. Hotel itself is small but unique. Breakfast very good.

Hotel is a little out the way but a Tuk Tuk into town costs upto a max of a 150 baht.

Overall a great hotel.

• Stayed December 2012

Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2012

This is a new trendy smaller hotel which is now referred to as boutique style. It is a small but significant distance (walk-able..but tiring) outside of the Old City. Public transportation is limited to Tuk Tuks and the local Red Cabs (songthaews) that ply the main streets. This is at the very least a nuisance as there are no marked routes or "bus numbers" to follow. And if you use a TukTuk to return to the hotel in the evenings, you will pay an inflated fare. 150-200Baht (US$5-7 is very high compared to the metered cabs in Bangkok). So add this expense to your room cost if you plan to go out in the evenings. However, if all you want to do is find a restaurant...then there are plenty of good choices within easy walking distance. As for the hotel, it is nicely done but room styles vary and when busy, there's not much option for which room style you'll get.. We knew right away that they had not placed us in the Grand Mai category that we had booked and prepaid through Expedia. The front desk apologized for the error and relocated us to the proper category. The room was average in size but sparsely furnished with no dresser drawers. The AC worked well, as did the free WiFi. We experienced intermittent problems with our water pressure which was annoying. Breakfast was simple but fresh and the service was great with warm smiles and great attitude. Same goes for the rest of the personnel although communicating in English had some challenges...but no complaints. Robes and slippers were provided and we were given an assorted fruit bowl and a Yee Peng lantern during the Loi Krathong festival. Very nice touch. Use caution when walking to and from the hotel through the narrow soi, There are no designated pedestrian areas and since only those of little means walk in the SE Asia culture, pedestrians seldom are given the right of way. In conclusion...for us the biggest drawback was the location but only based on the complications to go in to town in the evenings. There were sounds of loud percussion music associated with local night spots around the hotel but we found that the sound of the room AC drowned out most of the noise. If you're young and in the partying mood, this would be a great area and hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Check out their web site and read other guest comments regarding the style of rooms. Then contact th...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

kuala lumpur
Reviewed 17 October 2012

The rooms were tastefully furnished. I stayed in the Lanna room, my sisters stayed in the China room and the Zen room. The Zen room could be improve by having a raised wooden flooring instead of just having 2 cushions on the floor for sitting. The China Gold and the Lanna is nice. The room doors seem to be of lower quality wood, can hear quite loudly from other room doors shutting. The hotel is located in quite hip area with nice cafes, restaurants, spas. It's around 15 mins ride to the city (night bazaar) the songtheaws cost 20B per head.
We weren't in the hotel during the day,so don't know about the banging noise as what the other reviewer mentioned. Saw some workers working on the outside of the hotel. They are rushing to finished up. Breakfast is not buffet style, they have a fixed menu where you can choose. The hotel is a non smoking room, had to go out the hotel to smoke, and no worry of cigarette smoking smell in this hotel. The staffs were friendly, trying their best to help.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank c_ronal7
NimmanMaiHotel, Manager at Nimman Mai Design Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 6 November 2012

Avon, Colorado
Reviewed 15 October 2012

My Wife Stayed 16 days at this hotel. We had 2 rooms. Rooms were nice, beds were wonderful. Lots of english TV. My room was very clean no ants, the other room had ants and a geckos. We got lock out of the rooms twice. We were told to move rooms once. Breakfast was included every morning which was very nice but... EVERYDAY was the same( would have been nice to mixed it up) We ended up going out to breakfast to have something different. Staff was very limited on english which made situations very hard to understand. The hotel is still under construction power tools being used at all times in the day ( hard to take a nap) The hotel is located in a great part of town lots of massage places and places to eat but...... lots of bars around playing VERY LOUD MUSIC until 3:00am If you like the THUD THUD THUD THUD all night than this is the place for you. The last day it rained a ton and the roof started to leak water everywhere and they( front desk) did not seem to care. Overall would not stay here again and would not recomend to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Redtailnet
NimmanMaiHotel, General Manager at Nimman Mai Design Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Dear Our Precious Guest,

Please let me begin, by apologizing for the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us at Nimman Mai? Design Hotel regarding our services. We really appreciate your comments and would like to inform that now corrective action will be taken. We appreciate you taking the time to contact customer service as this feedback helps us determine areas of improvement. We would like to make it right "Our goal is to satisfy all customers needs". We would once again like the opportunity to serve your needs in the near future.
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Whilst the location is not where most tourists would stay. It's out of the old town. I would have to say that I would have ratcheted stay in this area than in the busy old town. The nearby nimmanhaenim rd is a real delight with cute cafes, bars and lots of cute boutique shops. There's also lots of restaurants in the side streets. Noticed a lot of young Thai's hang out in this area!! But it's not loud or rowdy! The hotel is far enough noise wise and close enough to the main rd!! There is a convenient launderette just down from the hotel and a laundry service not far too! Easy enough to find song-tauu's in the area but not as easy to find tuk Tuks as it is in the old city area. The hotel is clean, staff friendly, wifi worked really well and really value for money!! ESP with breakfast included! The only downsides of our three night stay was that the tv reception was mostly fuzzy and the shower/bathroom smelt funny! We also requested a gold china room but were put in a different room as we were told the gold china floor was having 'problems'.. Also the staff aren't the best at communicating in English but they are still soooo helpful and do all they can! there is also free use of iPads at reception! We would stay here again. :)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Theprojecttraveller
NimmanMaiHotel, Manager at Nimman Mai Design Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. I will be passing on your feedback to my team. I was delighted that you liked your overall experience our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back personally on your next visit.