“Great value for money, this place makes you feel like home.”

Kamala's Guesthouse
Ranked #97 of 736 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Great value for money, this place makes you feel like home.”
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend are staying in this guesthouse for 4 nights and it is truly worth the money. We have a twin bed shared bathroom with a/c and pay only EUR 5 per person per night. The rooms are super clean, the beds are more than nice, staff is friendly, great location (near the old city) and the café below is good to chill-out. All in all, a really cheap place to make you feel like home. Really recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights, two in a double en suite room and one in a double room with shared bathroom. The en suite rooms are huge, the beds are rock hard and the bathrooms are dated but have good shower units with hot water. The furnishings are adequate but the bare Lino floor is a bit harsh. The room with shared bathroom is smaller with a floating ceiling which had seen better days, we also heard scratching and scuttling throughout the night. We just put up a mosquito net and tried to ignore it, the shared bathrooms are ok if a little grubby, I think they are used by staff/long term inhabitants. They are full of shampoo bottles, soap etc. all in all not terrible considering an en suite room was £15 per night and the non en suite £8.

• Stayed July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I honestly can't fault this place, my only disappointment was how quiet it was. That might sound strange but I'm a solo traveller and was hoping to meet some people through my stay at the guesthouse, which was pretty much impossible as there was no one around (even though the guesthouse was quite full). I stayed in a double room which was fantastic! Clean, good size, huge bed with clean linen, bathroom isn't luxurious but had everything I needed. Location is great, just outside the Old City, everything within walking distance. Staff are helpful after a bit of encouragement. The breakfast included in the room rate (if you opt for it) isn't worth the extra 100 baht. I paid 650bht per night including breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
sf bay area
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My family and I spent three nights at Kamala's Guesthouse in Chiang mai. We had a great experience at Kamala's. The staff of this hotel are definately one of the highlights of this hotel with Kamala leading the way. Kamala was so attentive and helpful to all of us, in particular our children (aged 9 and 3).
My daughter also really enjoyed the cafe area. The qualities that made the cafe so nice were it had nice places to sit to enjoy a coffee (or other beverage), big screen tv's, a pool table and overall a very nice vibe.
Other qualities that made this place enjoyable were its central location, clean and spatious rooms and comfortable beds.

we would defiatly return here if we revisted Chiang Mai.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank stephanie k
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I went to Kamal's Guesthouse after the much touted Top Garden Guesthouse was unsurprisingly full. Kamala's is right next to Top Garden. And while I can't compare the two, I can say that I had a perfectly fine stay at Kamala's and would be happy to return next time I am in Chiang Mai. The area is a particularly nice area because it is relatively quiet but nearby a lot of activity, not far from Thapae Gate. The place is clean and well-kept (room is cleaned each day) and has a mini fridge, and the staff is friendly and helpful. A great bonus is that it is right next one of the best little eateries in Chiang Mai, The Cathouse. If I had one complaint, it is that it was very difficult to use the internet during my time there. Next door at the Cathouse it was fine, so it can't be location. So I hope they realize how important a good connection can be at a guesthouse--many times you need to plan the rest of a trip and require the internet--and fix this issue. Otherwise, a great stay

Room Tip: The room with a shared bathroom is a particularly good value at 400 Baht
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Bangkok
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I traveled with my 9 months old son and stayed for one night before flying back to Bangkok. Nok,the owner were very nice to us. She provided a small baby-cot and was a good baby-sitter,as well as her staff, they offered a hand so that I can have my breakfast. Travel with infant has never been easier!

Great location, it is only a few steps from old moat area. Walking distance to restaurants, 7-11, markets,coffee shops etc. Worth the money!

Jan & Kevin

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Changwon, South Korea
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Kamala and her staff were so sweet and accommodating! My single room was spacious and clean with aircon, a mini fridge, cable tv, free wifi, hot showers, fresh towels daily, and free drinking water daily. I also booked a couple excursions on site easily. The night market and hot clubs/bars are very close by. Even though I was traveling solo, Kamala's Guesthouse felt like a home away from home. Would highly recommend to anyone staying in Chiang Mai!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo